Intercostal Neuropathy and nerve blocks -

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by injudie, Feb 28, 2003.

1. injudie

injudie New Member

Hi Gang,

ANYONE experiencing this happening in the ribs - left, right or both ?

Just had my 5th nerve block on the left side and this particular pain doc "claims" this DOES NOT affect both sides and thinking something is amiss with the Thorax.

X-rays with the first pain doc for the nerve block showed nothing wrong with the Thorax and yet this persists to happen - 5th episode in a year.

This pain is like nothing you can describe - there are NO pain meds that stop "nerve" pain and nerve block is the only option - however its getting to the doc appt. fast enough to stop the pain which my luck has been no shorter than the 5th to 6th day - waaaaaaaaaaay too long.

Thanks for listening

Count your blessings
    judie
    ebay-Fibro t-shirts - they're there
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When I had CC, the pain was horrible. This is the only thing I have had in my chest. The doc injected between the ribs with cortisone and it lasted a year. CC is caused by inflammation, usually due to bronchial problems.

Love, Mikie
  3. Peashock

Peashock New Member

Hi Judie,
    For the past month I have experienced really, really severe pain by my left rib and side. Had ribs and stomach x-rayed and everything was okay.. The doctor thinks I have shingles, but without a rash.. She is not sure though. If I do not improve, she wants me to get a cat scan next week. I thought possibly it may be what you are describing. Did you have severe pain on your left ribs when touched and side.. Any information will be greatly appreciated.. Thank you.. Mary
  4. injudie

injudie New Member

Hello Mary,

Please forgive the loooooong wait until hearing from me - its been one awful adventure with this problem and it seems to hit again and again.

Doc did an MRI finally of lumbar and thorasic and showed 5 herniated discs in the thorasic so he's "thinking" this is the true culprit. Had my series of 3 epidurals since I last wrote and STILL having the awful rib pain "again."

Doc cant shoot me up with anymore steroids so now trying Zanaflex ( muscle relaxant ) and getting "some" relief.

I DID NOT have pain when touching the area and thinking yours is definitely more on the side of shingles. I know even a "feather" touch to the skin creates awful pain if it is shingles.

Sure pray YOUR situation was truly dx'd and now just something is the far distance !!

Count your blessings
    Judie
    Fibro tees of ebay
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

I'm trying to figure out if my pain is the same as what you's are describing?? I have alot of left sided rib pain,felt in the front lower ribs and into the back ribs.(all lower..under the breast,none above yet.)This pain is all left sided and hurts! even my waistline area down to my hip on that side~ very sore to touch,yet I feel it constantly while awake and trying to get comfy in my bed is a real experience in itself!! I've mentioned this pain to my rheumy and she just shakes her head yes and acts like it part of FM and "deal with it". its a deep in my side,back,rib knawing pain!! Does this sound like what you have?? I'm getting pretty concerned because I realize with these DD comes alot of Odd aches and pains but this one has gotta be the most annoying,and nothing seems to help.Not that i've tried much~ My dr. does'nt give meds out too easily.I only have darvecet for this pain and it does'nt even help at all~ Thanks everyone!
    Regards,
    Tracey
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

hoping for more responses~