Interested in getting this thread up and running again?

Discussion in 'Weight Management' started by Alyssa-Admin, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Alyssa-Admin

Alyssa-Admin Active Member

Hi everyone, I am just slowly going through a lot of the posts on the forum- so many of them have been here for a long time - because there is good info/questions/help.

I know quite a few of us struggle with this issue. And when we are unwell, and hardly able to get out of bed, then, exercise, well, let's face ain't gonna happen.

In saying this, I know that many people have changed their eating habits with CFS/ME and Fibro - cutting out gluten, sugar, dairy and more.

What are you doing to try to keep your weight in check, when you are not in a position to exercise (or for that matter, have the energy to make healthy meals?).

2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

At this point I am so confused by what is considered healthy eating and what isn't that I stopped caring. Maybe if I wasn't so exhausted right now I'd feel differently. One doctor says one thing, another says the total opposite. Dr. Oz changes his mind every other week depending on the subject of that day's show. :confused:
    Alyssa-Admin likes this.
  3. Alyssa-Admin

Diets are a multi billion dollar industry designed to fail. If we want to buy food that is supposedly organic and free from all the nasties... We have to pay for it. Many can't afford that luxury... To eat healthily.

I remember around 5 yrs ago we were in the grocery store and there was a family checking out ahead of us.... Large trolley full of cheap bread, pizzas, chips... And their bill came to £40. Ours was a smaller trolley filled with fresh fruits, vegetables, meat... Healthy stuff. £110. And it didn't even last us the whole week.

I also got to the stage where I didn't care... And between that and gabapentin I turned into a size 22. Sometimes we don't have the energy to even think about cooking let alone shopping... Or eating.

One of the best investments I made was a slow cooker. This way I'm able to at least cook easily, healthily and have loads for leftovers, freezing and turning into other meals

It's straining that balance... Learning to listen to your body and what it needs and whether you're hungry or not. Just because it's dinner time doesn't mean you need to eat
    .. *)
  4. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

For appetite control and a good fiber source, I find that 2 TBS of chia seeds with water added to form a gel makes me feel really full. I add the water and let it stand about 30 minutes before drinking so that the gel can fully form. Sometimes I mix in some hemp protein powder.
  5. Alyssa-Admin

That sounds not only interesting - but healthy!!!!! I might just give that a go! Right now, I am struggling with my gastric lapband (again!) and I am pretty much on a liquid diet of whey protein shakes. For me, food and eating is not because I am hungry...but for every other reason - mostly pain - it momentarily distracts me....and then I have eaten whatever, and the pain...yep, it is still there!!!
  6. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

I hope you get your lapband adjusted so that it's comfortable. What's required to do that? Is it surgery, or is it something easy in the doctor's office?

My cousin had lapband surgery, and losing the weight really helped her get more healthy. It took awhile for her to adjust to it, though.
  7. Alyssa-Admin

I have had mine for 8 years - and I have yet to find the 'right balance' in regards to the saline solution that they use (imagine a donut around your stomach that is tightened by increasing saline into it - it is done through a port - my port is in my chest - in between my boobs (lower down).

I have never had the 'right' amount of what they refer to as 'fill'. And now, keeping a meal down just isn't happening anymore. (Tonight's dinner - sole (so easy to digest) with sauteed veg)...and within 5 mins it is all coming back again.
    Of course, chocolate, pastry, cookies, cakes, and ice cream just slide right down...making it doubly as hard to keep on a healthy diet - as well as be able to eat stuff that I KNOW is going to stay down - because I have taken my meds with it.

I have always said that it has kept me from 'going off the rails' - as I am most definitely an emotional eater (I think when you hit a certain point weight wise, it is beyond having Domino's too many times and we start getting into the emotional eating territory).

But we can't even go out to eat...because inevitably, whatever I have ordered - no matter how careful I tends to wind up in the toilet around 10 minutes after eating - if not sooner. So literally flushing money down the loo!

Roll on March 12th when I get them to take out ALL the fill. I will still have restriction, as the band is there - but hopefully not all this other crummy stuff. It has gotten to the point of ludicrousness!
  8. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

@Alyssa-Admin, I'm so sorry about all the problems you're having with your lapband. Is there any way to move your appt. up?

Can you eat pureed soups if they don't have too many vegetables? I make pureed cauliflower, broccoli, and asparagus soups, and they are really easy as long as you have an immersion blender you can just stick in the pot. If it sounds like something you could eat, let me know, and I'll tell you how I make them.

I posted a recipe for coconut chocolate mousse on the Nutrition and Recipes for Patients forum.
  9. Alyssa-Admin

inYep, I do eat soups... I had a catering company and restaurant (in a previous life!).

Tonight my hubby brought some beautiful different prepared meals home for Valentine's day... At least he enjoyed it! :) March 12 th.... Can't wait!
  10. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

I have never been much overweight but had to watch my weight to not go that way, but since I became a vegetarian and found out that I am dairy and sugar and yeast intolerant and adjusted my diet to that I haven't had to keep track of my weight at all anymore. I just stay at a healthy weight that varies a little but doesn't go to over weight nor underweight. I don't have to keep track of what or how much I eat anymore either. I do make it a point to eat healthy as I do not want to eat what only gives my body problems anyways, there are enough without creating more already, and something that doesn't help my body isn't a treat but a punishment in disguise, so I stear away from those.
    I do make tasty substitutes with healthy ingredients. I hardly eat any factory processed foods anymore and I snack on things like nuts and fruits and vegetables. Because of not being able to cook on a daily basis so eating irregularly I made a list to know what I needed to eat to make sure my food habits wouldn't deprive me of nutritients and vitamins etc. And I make sure to get that in on a daily basis amongst others by having home made mixed bean spread and banana's as a sandwich filler. That way I get two in one. My sandwich is covered with both the daily fruit and a part of the veggies needed and it fits in a low budget. And by snacking on carrot and nuts in between I don't feel like snacking on unhealthy things either. I mostly drink water and Orange Juice all day and don't do sweetened soda's etc. When I do cook I usually make around 6 portions so that I can freeze some for later use.
  11. Alyssa-Admin

12. Alyssa-Admin

@Soul* Good for you. I think that your attitude is right on the mark. It's not about dieting, it is about eating foods that are good and healthy for us = and to be prepared for times when we are unable to do our own meals, but to have stuff on hand for snacks.

I admit it. I a chocoholic. And went crazy over the weekend. This is how bad I was (8pm after eating chocolate ALL Day 'I can officially say I cannot look at another piece of chocolate.' 8.35pm is there any chocolate left????'. Aaaarrrggghh
  13. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

I used to be a licorice aholic in my youth so I do know what it is like. It's pretty easy for me living on my own, what isn't in the house I can't eat, and what isn't good for me isn't in the house but that is usually a bit harder when you don't live on your own...
    Getting three day migraines from all kinds of healthy and unhealthy foods definitely has helped to get a I don't care for food other then what I need attitude.

Maybe try making your own chocolate replacer. I'm intolerant to chocolate, dairy and sugar but make them with carob, coconutoil and stevia. All natural and good for health ingredients. You could also ofcourse just make them with Cocoa as that in itself isn't bad if you aren't intolerant to it... That way you can 'snack for health' so to say ;)

There is a picture of them on my Reishi thread on the homebound board. They look and taste good also for people who are used to eat normal chocolate.
  14. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

Hi, @Alyssa-Admin. I love chocolate, too, but find eating a small square of exceedingly flavorful, ultra dark chocolate every day after breakfast helps me from craving more. I like 85% dark chocolate, and 1/2 oz (one square of Theo's) has very little sugar. It's so intense that I really don't crave more.

I got over most of my sugar cravings by going cold turkey for awhile. After that, lots of things tasted way too sweet. It think that's a common experience.

Also, I've read so much about how sugar is one of the worst things for your brain and overall health that I'm really not tempted anymore. I do crave savory carbs sometimes like pizza or potato chips, but rarely indulge.

I eat a lot of healthy fats and include protein with every meal and snack. I also eat tons of non-starchy vegetables, so I actually stay pretty full. It's dangerous for me to be hungry because that's when I'll indulge in something that's not healthy.

I wouldn't worry too much about Easter. I think our health is more influenced by how we eat normally rather than the rare occasions.
  15. Alyssa-Admin

Got the protein balls I make with whey powder, sugar free peanut butter, coconut oil and shredded coconut. And a shake with very high fat yogurt, tiny bit of frozen fruits and whey protein, with a bit of almond milk.

[ advertisement ]