Interested in what pain meds you are taking

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sadie_one, Feb 20, 2006.

1. sadie_one

sadie_one New Member

I was dx with fibro, and Chronic Myofascial Pain 3 years ago. I dealt with it, and it got much better after abut a year.

I've been in a bad flare for the last 3 months. I was doing alright on tramodol and skelaxin. My doc then put me on vicodin, and tiznadine (xanaflex) and klonopin, 1 mg/ day. My pain has worsened to the point where I can't work, and the pain meds aren't controlling it anymore.

He is worried about an addiction factor with narcotics, and I need to make him understand that there is a difference between physical dependency, and psychological dependency. I'm not sure how to approach him with this. I get a two week supply of the vicodin, and cannot get it refilled until I am on my last pill. Then it takes two days on averaage for them to re-fill it. I am seeing a rheumy. I am then completely out until they decide to contact the pharmacy for a refill.

I cannot be without pain meds, I simply cannot function without them. I am in constant pain, and the pain meds take the pain so it is not in the forefront of my mind, and I can concentrate on something else. I do not take them to get high, nor do I take more than I'm supposed to. I just want the pain to subside.

I work 11 1/2 hours a day, I handle an enormous amount of work, and I do a good job of it. I am the assitant manager at a global industrial supply company, and I'm not chained to my desk. I get up and move around a lot. I started this job a year ago, and the first of this year, when I got back from vacation, I came back to a raise equal to twice my salary, they were that impressed with me. I love my work, and it gets a little stressful, which doesn't bother me unless I'm already hurting.

My question to you is, what kind of pain meds are you on? I wonder if there is something I should bring up to my doc that he may be willing to try. I've used skelaxin in the past, alone, and it quit working, but it does do a good job of contolling pain in addition to being a muscle relaxer. I'm going to ask him to stop the xanaflex, and give me the skelaxin. Not working is not an option.

I sleep about 3 hours a night. And I rest during that time, so I really don't feel tired when I get up to go to work. If I sleep longer than 4 hours, I feel like total crap in the morning, and literally can't move, I'm so stiff.

Sorry for the long post, but if you could give me an idea of what has worked for you, I'll maybe mention it, and see what he says. I upped my appt today to 3:30 this afernoon. Not much notice I know, but any little bit helps.

I do exercise regularly, watch what I eat, and rest when I can.

Please help.
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Sadie,
    I take Lortabs 10/500 mg. when I'm in pain, which is most every day. My other meds for FMS is Prozac (20 mg.) and Xanax (.5 mg. 3 x a day) and Diclofenac (100 mg. 1 x a day) and then I take Cytotec (200 mcg.) with the Diclofenac as it coats my stomach. I take the Diclofenac after dinner.

Diclofenac and Cytotec make another med called Arthrotec, but it is cheaper for me to buy them separately and pay $10 generic copay for each than $35 copay for Arthrotec as it is in Tier 3 of my meds for my insurance.

I've been in a bad flare for most of this year.

Gosh, I slept 10 hours last night. I feel I get good sleep just taking the Xanax before I go to bed. It just seems to relax my muscles.

It wasn't until last May 2005, that I got a decent Rx for Lortabs with 5 refills and I couldn't believe it from my family doc.

I had gotten so desperate for something for pain I had started on Advil and one is not supposed to take 2 NSAIDS, but I didn't reallize that.

The Arthrotec is supposed to be for arthritis, but my doc told me about it a long time ago and thought it would help my FMS. I was very leery about taking it, but when I did, it did help the burning I get on my upper back/shoulders, etc. I was really surprised.

I can't exercise anymore as it just puts me in flares. I used to exercise a lot, but had to quit in 1996, as I realized it was making me feel worse and in more pain.

If your doc isn't going to give you more pain meds, than I would look for another doc. I don't think you are ever going to convince him that we need the meds to function and it isn't fair for us to suffer in pain 24/7. Why can't we have some low pain times? Seems reasonable to me.

Good luck!

Hugs,
    Faye
  3. pamsue

pamsue New Member

I use motrin 800, Flexeril, which helps me the most, Hydrocodone only 1 per day during my bad times and elavil to help me sleep

I am in a lot of pain still most of the time, but I have just been diagnosed with RSD as well, so I guess I am bound to be in pain now.

I have started trying to eat better and am hoping for good results, I find warm baths and ice to help at times too

My best to you
    hugs,
    pamsue
  4. sadie_one

sadie_one New Member

When I first got dx with this, I was completely exhausted all the time, and required 9 hours of sleep per night. I started taking elavil for sleep, and then discontinued it after about a year.

I also get clusterheadaches, and sleep is bad for those. I can't go to sleep before 1 am, or I will wake up with one, and that is the worst pain in the world. So, I stay up, and work, or fool around on my laptop, and chat with a close friend. Then about 1:30 or 2, I go to sleep until 4:45 am, when I get up for work. I feel rested, and I do get actual sleep, not that dozing feeling where I'm sort of sleeping, but am still aware of everything going on around me.

Sometimes I'll nap for an hour in the evening after dinner. My doc says he doesn't know how I function on so little sleep, but it's all in the amount of rest you get.

He has increased my vicodin, and given me skelaxin again, which I find really helps with pain. As far as exercise, I bundle myself up, and go for a walk. That's it, nothing more strenuous, and I can pace myself depending on how I feel. There was a time a few years ago I couldn't even do that.

I eat no sugar, it makes me hurt! I do have a chocolate bar ocassionally, gotta have chocolate, but otherwise, I eat no junk food, stick with protein as much as possible, and drink a lot of milk.

I am hoping the warm weather coming up (spring isn't that far off now) will help me to feel better. I want to move to a climate where it's not too hot or too cold.

Thanks for your replies. I have gotten past this once, and I want to do it again. I am 44 years old, and the older I get, the more this sucks.

Anyway, sorry for the book again. Any insight, thoughts, comments, etc are welcome.
  5. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

so I Have strong meds
    6am-2 neurontin and Flexiril
    8:30-breakfast and my diabetes meds,plus effexorXR
    9am-Kadian(morphine)
    12pm-2 neurontin,1 flexeril

5pm-Diabetes meds
    6pm-2 neurontin.1 flexeril
    9PM-Kadian
    9 :30-2 trazadone or 1 ambien(mostly trazadone)
    and a Zocor

This is working O.K. for me right now
  6. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

the LONG ACTING meds such as Ms Contin, OXYCONTIN, something of that nature. If your Dr. says for any reason that those are not RX'd for fibro... he wrong. Move on and find a new Dr that can help you.

7. me to a pain clinic, probably because it's about 50 ft from his office at the hospital.

I just started going to them in mid November, I've been sick since august 2000!

I started with Dilaudid 2mg 4x's a day, it did nothing but make my belly bloat terribly and that hurt! And cause constipation,

My next visit (oh and they also with dilaudid started me on Lyrica, 75mg twice a day). My next visit, we quit the dilaudid, and started MSContin, 30mg am, 30mg PM & 15mg MSIR for breakthrough pain, and increased my Lyrica to 150, twice a day.

two months later, we increased my MSContin to 45mg twice a day & MSIR to 15mg twice a day, & started me on Prevacid.

I also with Lyrica take 300mg Topamax, which I've been on for years, for nerve pain, but it no longer works, and my hair is falling out terribly!

So I have GOT to get into my neuro who I haven't seen in 11 months! and demand to be taken off of it, & try something else! My hair is so terribly coarse and just falling out it makes me cry!

I have HORRIBLE neuropathies, bulging discs, herniated disc, and arthritis in my spine, arthritis elsewhere in my body, and severe muscle spasms, atrophy & wasting due to MS & inactivity. It's very painful.

So that is what I am on for now, but we may either increase it or move to Oxycontin, or Methadone in the near future. It is scary to have to increase medications so quickly, but, having had to have waited so long to receive ANY pain medications, it's no suprise that it's taking so much to get it under control, and it's so nice to know that my pain doctor & her nurse practitioner care enough, and understand, and will help me, until we do get it under control, and wont deny me medications that i need.

Don't quit searching for help until you get what you need to function! You have to have some quality of life, especially to work!! I cannot even imagine!

Best of luck to you, I'm glad he at least increased your vicodin & gave you skelaxin, but if you need more, you keep going back, or look into a pain clinic & ask for a referral, it saved my life!

Laura
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

What I am currently managing my fibro with is:

Neurotin
    Cymbalta
    Volteran (NSAID for arthritis mainly)
    Zanaflex at bedtime
    I also sleep with a CPAP machine with oxygen

Did you know that if you are on a pain med, like Ultram, that isn't quite doing the job, you can rotate it with 600 mg of ibuprofen to give you some extra pain relief. You would take your pain med and then two hrs later take the ibuprofen, then keep on that schedule the rest of the day. Now, you couldn't add the ibuprofen if you are already on a NSAID.

Janet