InterestedWhich Anti Depressant(s) work best for you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PGWS, Jan 29, 2007.

1. PGWS

PGWS New Member

Hi,
    Not to bud into anyones business but I am going though a very difficult time on Valcyte and would like to know which anti-depressants have worked for you (if any).
    I have tried almost all of them, some work for a few months, some make me very agitated, one gave me extreme anxiety, some don't work at all. Since on Valcyte, I am more depressed than ever (this is a possible listed side effect. Therefore, I was curious to hear from others about the ones which worked for them.

Appreciate your feedback.
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

My doctor told me that mood difficulties are very common when enduring die-off from Valcyte or other AV's. He said that after the drugs doe their work, emotional problems are often the biggest improvements noted compared to what things were like previously.

I had tried most of the antidepressants on market as of about eight years ago. I had horrible experiences with all of them.

Moclobomide wasn't as bad, but it is not available in the U.S.

I think if you keep toughing it out with the Valcyte, the likelihood that your emotional problems will get better once you're done. It sounds like you have a lot more die-off to go through though.

I was looking at your original post on this and realized how many of the symptoms that you have overlap with mine (even though I have yet to move to Valcyte and am still killing stuff with Famvir). I'm going to go back and list them on that post soon.

You're doing just as expected, I think. Hang in there.

(BTW, if you need to stay on Valcyte longer than planned, rumor has it that Roche might help you out on the price. Perhaps your doctor would call and ask?)

Note To All:

My intention in posting on this board is only to share my own experiences, provide observations about other people's experiences, and report comments offered by MD's and other medical professionals.

If I seem to be offering medical advice of the sort that an MD should, this is unintentional. Please don't follow it.

3. PGWS

PGWS New Member

Thank you for the feedback.
    I was told similar that the depression and mood would begin to subside after the big hit (however long that lasts). It is hard to imagine, but I stay hopeful and try to remember what I use to be like before this nightmare illness (full of life, spirit , self motivated, physical and mental energy machine, ambitious professional and stellar athlete, could not wait to wake up in the morning and get up and GO!).

I start to think some of my symptoms are atypical for being on Valcyte because I don't have two of the popular ones listed: Nauseousness and diarrhea (sorry to be gross).

Maybe I am a little better today, I have never spent this much time in one day on the internet. Someone else I know of who is on Valcyte for about 14 weeks now (has had CFS for 5 years like myself)told me the mental fatigue/cognition was getting much much better, but not yet the physical.
  4. fungirl2100

fungirl2100 New Member

Hello,

I am not depressed, but I have been on Trazadone for sleep which is an anti-depressant. I had all the side effects you could possibly get.

Please be careful with anti-depressants. If you need them by all means take them, but watch for any unusual behavior or thoughts. Xanax is for anxiety as is Valium perhaps that would help "sedate" you a little. I take something similiar to Valium & it has helped tremendously. It took the edge off that I constantly had from the Trazadone which my doctor took me off right away.

Good luck & take care, please let me know if you need anything or if I can ask my husband (the doctor) anything.

love your friend,
    Fungirl (Dawn) :)
  5. PGWS

PGWS New Member

Thank you for the info. I tried Trazdone,and other Tricycl. but it makes me a zombie even in the smallest dose. What are you taking to take the edge off, I get that same feeling very often and Valium does not help nor does klonopin.

What do you know about Serzone, Lexpro, Moclobomide (not sold in US) or Milnacipran/Ixel 25. I never tried these.

I don't know if anything will work, I am just sick and tired of watching my life go down the drain as a result of this illness and sick and tired of being sick and tired.
    Maybe I need to be a Zombie, but I can't because I have no one to take care of life's realities and tasks.

Appreciate your response
  6. ephemera

ephemera New Member

7. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

If you Have CFS, be careful with SSRIs. Dr. Cheney thinks they are especially bad for us. A book title “Prozac Backlash: Overcoming the Dangers of Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil and Other Antidepressants” by Joseph Glenmullen, M.D. lists safe alternatives to SSRIs.
  8. cinbad25

cinbad25 New Member

Well, I have had great luck with Cymbalta.....it has been my lifesaver....It not only has helped me with the depression but it has helped me with the pain. Now, don't get me wrong; I still have terrible pain, but at least it no longer consumes me!!!
  9. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

why does the cdc recommend antidepressants for cfs along w/ my doc when they are possibly bad news for us?
    I know from personal experience that ive tried 3 w/ horrible problems including paranoid, anxiety increase, etc. I dont wanna go through that again but my doc suggests i try.
  10. captainbws

captainbws New Member

I take a supplement called 5HTP, which I'm told is a precursor to serotonin. I also take a micro dose of lithium, 5 mg twice a day. My genetic background of Scandinavia calls for the lithium, and it really helps. I also take GABA, a serotonin protector. It cuts down my sensitivity to sudden noises too.........I've heard there can be a compulsion to suicide when serotonin is low. Not sure, but I think stress eats-up serotonin..........Each of us has a first best destiny, something we do well naturally. Finding the gist of that and going with it, in however small a way, I'm convinced, dispels depression.....My best, Tim