Interesting article I happen to find / OLIVE LEAF anyone take it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Olive Leaf ExtractStock #204-7 (60 capsules)Olive trees are robust, disease-resistant plants known to withstand a variety of bacteria,fungi, microbes, viruses, etc., that would otherwise destroy less hearty plants. Documentedaccounts of the use of olive leaves for medicinal purposes date back to the early 1800swhen they were used to lower high fevers and treat malarial infections.1,2Today, scientists have discovered that olive leaf extract contains phytochemicals that make it aformidable treatment against both infectious and degenerative diseases. In fact, olive leafextract has been shown to be an effective remedy against nearly every type of pathogenic(disease-causing) microorganism, relieving numerous health problems resulting from colds,flus and other viral diseases; fungal, mold and yeast infections; bacterial infections (major andminor); and parasitic infestations. In all, olive leaf extract has been shown to be a powerfulantimicrobial agent against over 130 infectious diseases. Even HIV-infected patients havedemonstrated improvement in their immune function, as indicated by an increase in T-cellsfollowing supplementation with olive leaf extract.1-3Olive leaf extract has been shown to successfully eliminate chronic bacterial and viral infections, even in patientshaving received multiple courses of antibiotic treatment with no success. Olive leaf extract is also beneficial againstother infections that typically pose resistance to standard drug treatment, including bladder, herpes and fungalinfections such as athlete’s foot, thrush, vaginal yeast infections, and stubborn toenail fungus. Furthermore, olive leafextract has demonstrated particular effectiveness in the treatment against Candida albicans and chronic yeastinfections, reversing almost all associated symptomatology.1-3Olive leaf extract’s remarkable antiviral action has made it a potent remedy against such viruses as coxsackie,cytomegalovirus, encepthlomyocarditis, Escherichia coli, herpes, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), influenza andpara-influenza, Newcastle disease, pseudorabies, Salmonella typhimurium, vesicular stomatitis, two types ofleukemia, and polio 1,2 and 3, to name a few. Olive leaf extract also provides permanent relief from malaria, denguefever, and other exotic and deadly tropical diseases whose primary symptom is fever. Reports also indicate that oliveleaf extract relieves the debilitating symptoms associated with chronic fatigue syndrome, Epstein-Barr andfibromyalgia.1,2,4Olive leaf extract has proven to be the first successful, natural treatment against both herpes simplex type I (HSV-1) andtype II (HSV-2). HSV-1 is typically associated with the development of colds sores and skin eruptions, as well as herpeskeratitis—inflammation of the cornea of the eye. HSV-2 is one of North America’s most prevalent sexually-transmitteddiseases, affecting over 30 million Americans. Olive leaf extract has been shown to effectively eliminate all symptoms andoutbreaks associated with genital herpes, even in cases where prescription medications such as acyclovir, butylatedhydroxytoluene (BHT), and lysine have failed.1,2Numerous animal studies have shown that olive leaf extract provides hypotensive (blood pressure-lowering)properties and inhibits the oxidation of LDL cholesterol, which helps to prevent the formation of plaque that can clogarteries and cause heart disease. Clinical trials have confirmed that olive leaf extract lowers blood pressure,normalizes heart beat irregularities (arrhythmias), relieves angina pain, and enhances circulatory system function,improving blood flow in cardiovascular and peripheral vascular disorders.2,3,5-7Olive leaf extract also exhibits potential as an anti-inflammatory for problems such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritisand inflammation of the lungs and respiratory tract. Olive leaf extract may even be helpful for relieving muscular achesand pains associated with fibromyalgia. Furthermore, some research suggests that olive leaf extract may provide milddiuretic and hypoglycemic (blood sugar-lowering) properties, which would be beneficial for treating cystitis anddiabetes.1,2,5,8Researchers have determined that a bitter glucoside known as oleuropein, along with its active constituent elenolicacid, are primarily responsible for olive leaf extract’s extraordinary antibacterial, antiviral and antiparasitic activity. Forexample, studies show that oleuropein inhibits the growth of Staphylococcus aureus, an antibiotic-resistant organismthat is the cause of nearly all hospital-acquired infections. Oleuropein is also a powerful antioxidant and thecompound responsible for olive leaf extract’s ability to successfully inhibit oxidation of LDL cholesterol. Elenolic acidis the element that is the primary destroyer and growth inhibitor of viruses, interfering with bacterial and viral growth,while simultaneously activating immune cells that fight infection. Elenolic acid also kills numerous flatworm,hookworm, roundworm and tapeworm parasites.1-6,9
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Page 2
    SampleThere have been no reported side effects from taking olive leaf extract in either laboratory animals or in severalthousand human study participants. Nevertheless, olive leaf extract is not recommended for pregnant or nursingwomen.1,2It is important to note that Herxheimer reactions may occur as part of the body’s detoxification process, especially iftaking a large initial dose of olive leaf extract. Individuals may experience flu-like symptoms or a worsening of thecomplaints for which olive leaf extract was taken, although such reactions typically last only a few days. If a reactionoccurs, individuals may want to reduce the dose.1,2NSP’s Olive Leaf Extract provides a total of 400mg of olive leaf extract, standardized to contain 12% oleuropein.References:1Baldinger CNC, K. “Olive leaf extract: Ancient solution to modern ailments: Nature’s Impact; December/January 1998-1999: 38-40.2Walker, M. Olive Leaf Extract. NY, NY: Kensington Publishing Corp., 1997.3Mindell PhD, E. Earl Mindell’s Supplement Bible. NY, NY: Fireside, 1998.4Walker, M.“Olive Leaf Extract: The Total Antimicrobial.” Nutrition Science News; January 1998.5Chevallier, A. The Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants. NY, NY: Dorling Kindersley, 1996.6Visioli, F., et. al. “Oleuropein protects low density lipoprotein from oxidation.” Life Science; 1994, 55(24): 1965-1971.7Zarzuelo, A., et. al. “Vasodilator effect of olive leaf.” Planta Medica; 1991, 57(5): 417-419.8Visioli, F., et. al. “Oleuropein, the bitter principle of olives, enhances nitric oxide production by mouse macrophages.” Life Science; 1998, 62(6): 541-546.9Tranter, H.S., et. al. “The effect of the olive phenolic compound, oleuropein, on growth and enterotoxin B production by Staphylococcus aureus.”Journal of Applied Bacteriology; 1993, 74(3): 253-259.
  2. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

Thank you for posting this good info, the first time I tried it I herxed like hell, I keep meaning to give it a go again.

Sue
  3. fmfriend

fmfriend Member

I have been taking it for a while although not on a regular basis which I should be.
    Whenver feel flair coming on I start taking them along with my other antiviral herbs and it makes the flairs intesify for a bit then calm back down.

I am going to an immunologist tommorow for testing as im in a bout with active lymes disease right now ( not fun I feel like im litterally dying.its been horrible)

I stopped all my usuall vitamins and herbs because I haven't been able to eat.I cant wait to start back because I know how much better I will feel and first thing Im taking is olive leaf extract!! I wouldnt doubt the immunologist suggest it anyway.

Just a reminder to people the grade quality is important. I aways try to get the best I can afford to.
    Blessings ~Sally
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

but was just thinking about including it in an order.
  5. Daisys

Daisys Member

I've been taking olive leaf as part of my anticandida regimen. I didn't know it had an effect on EBV. That's good to know! Maybe I should take even more of it.

I've also used it when I feel like I'm coming down with something, so I guess I have used it as an antiviral.

6. tandy

tandy New Member

but once it was gone I did'nt buy more.

I tried it for a few things that it was suppose to be good for. One being sinus troubles.
    It did help me.
    But I do remember feeling worse at first. (herx)
    more body aches and tired. (I think headaches to,..in the very beginning) ???
    I should try this again.
    I believe I read also that this is one supplement that should be stopped every so often for a month or 2.
    It should'nt be taken continuous for yrs. (I think!! don't quote me on this)
    Overall I do think its very useful in many things.

Good post,.Thanks!
    Tandy
  7. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

Please separate it into paragraphs. With the CFS/FM I can't read this. It sounds interesting.

Thanks!

God Bless.
  8. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Bad brainfog tonight so I couldn't read article but I'll come back when I can, but I've been taking olive leaf extract for the last 6 months. I only take one capsule a day when I should be taking more.

I also take with it grape seed extract, milk thistle, pro biotics, oil of oregano, astragalus, and co-q-10..... and yes there's herxing with it. I've just recently come off everything for a week and now I'm slowly going back on everything. That might explain why I'm not feeling good tonight. Take care!
  9. kbak

kbak Member

Hi,
    Because of the hexing I don't take olive leaf everyday. I only take it when I can feel a cold or the flu coming on, and it works very well to keep me from getting sick.

kbak
  10. bct

bct Well-Known Member

500 mgs. a day for last three yrs. No adverse reactions.