Interesting article on CFS/FMS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klutzo, Jun 15, 2003.

1. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I found a very interesting article on our DD's by a Dr. Edward M. Lichten of Southfield, MI. It is much too long to post here, but worth reading for all you research lovers out there. He spells out his treatment protocol as well.
    Klutzo
  2. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Hi Klutzo, I put his name on my research list !
    Ziggy
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I found several websites listed for him but found nothing about our illnesses. Which website is it. It's OK to give the name of the website you found it on as long as you don't give the URL. Thanks.

Love, Mikie
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I found it while doing a web search for "Kutapressin" to find out about using it to lower our viral load. I didn't know it would not come up if you just put in his name!
    The website is usdoctor (edited to remove URL). Won't I get in trouble for saying that? I hope not.
    Klutzo
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks. I did have to remove the rest of the URL because spelling out a URL still counts and isn't allowed. I think I did see this one in the list. We can probably find it from this or doing a search on Kutapressin.

Love, Mikie
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I found it on USDOCTOR. There are a number of topics on that website. I just clicked on Fibromyalgia and it went right to his article. I bookmarked it to read later. Thanks again.

Love, Mikie
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I just checked, and the article on his website under "Fibromyalgia" is not the article I wanted you all to read....though it looks good, and I'm going back there to read it!
    It took me awhile to find it, but if I can remember....The correct article can be reached by going to his website, clicking on diseases, scrolling down a long ways and clicking on "chronic fatigue".
    Klutzo

P.S. I just read article on Fibro. It's OK, but not nearly as interesting as the one on chronic fatigue. One thing I did learn from the one on Fibro is that any IGF-1 under 160 should be treated. Mine was in the "normal" range ,but was only 103. He suggests using DHEA first, and only going to the $$$$ hGH if DHEA doesn't work.
    In addition, I found a little gem of an article on the connection between cortisol and insomnia on the same site, and made a seperate post about it.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/15/2003]
  8. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

I found it and the last line certainly sums it up good - There is new hope for chronic fatigue. Let us hope we stop the disease by fixing our environment before CFS/CFIDs affects every last one of us!

Thanks Klutzo

9. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I went to my search engine and just put his name in. It is about your fourth choice. Once you get there look under fibromyalgia under the little headings, needed my reading glasses to read them. It's eleven pages to print out, so it is long. dolsgirl
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The one on CFIDS is also there. I found it on the same website. Thanks.

Love, Mikie
  11. skychomper

skychomper Member

thanks for the heads up on this article.
    I like the fact that he mentions the failure to produce energy as the cause for so many things being subpar (immune system, endocrine, nervous system) and not as a pure dysfunction of the systems themselves. that the energy is not there for the required maintenance. I would also describe cfs as he does, Im simply not producing enough energy, and as if that wasn't bad enough, there's all these other problems that start to crop up as a result. some of these problems show up in blood, and some do not. (im thinking about things like endocrine difficulties.)

I think this is why its so important to treat the infections we have, just to help lift the burden off our immune systems. so we can start building ourselves back up. I agree that bowel health is extremely important too. I agree with cutting down sugar, but in my experience I did not have to remove it totally for a remission.

The other thing i wasn't too keen on was his idea to give estrogen to all menopausal women. maybe certain instances but All women? I don't believe our bodies turn against us during menopause, our environment is what makes this change so difficult. (food, toxins) okay, im not a doc, just get leary when these guys tell women "you need this now and you need this cause your going through menoupause", like our bodies are too inferior to deal with this... or that cfs is mostly a middle ages woman's disease. okay, sorry about that rant!

thanks again for bringing attention to this. i don't agree with it all but I think he brings up some interesting points and a new perspective. I do research when I can and its helpful to compare and look at other opinions. I love when you post your thoughts and your research,
    skychomper

12. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I made my endo test my IGF 1 and mine was
    70. He was surprised when I told him I was expecting
    it to be low. Mine was just the simple blood test.
    Is that what he is talking about?

I will have to go and read it.

Lynn
  13. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Dear Skychomper - I completely agree with you about estrogen. My doc never gives it, saying progesterone is what we really need IF we are having that sort of problem only, and I am.

Dear Lynn - Yes, I am talking about the blood test for IGF-1, and I think he is too. Your level does need to be raised, unless you are very, very old.

Klutzo
  14. klutzo

klutzo New Member

That's the one! It looked too long to me, but it fit OK on one page here, so I guess I was wrong. You are much more computer savvy than I am...thanks.
    Klutzo

P.S. While I think this is mostly correct, I want to state again that I strongly disagree with what he says about estrogen.
  15. skychomper

skychomper Member

I agree with what you said about the progesterone- my mom uses the natural progesterone cream, and she's found it has helped her. I was curious about it, and used it for a little bit. I found that my pms symptoms were less severe and my acne better.
  16. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Move it anywhere you like, Jelly. The more who see it, the better. Klutzo