Interesting article on importance of TREATING PAIN

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sleepyinlalaland, Jul 13, 2006.

1. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

There's a good article in July's Ladies' Home Journal about chronic pain. I thought the following was of particular interest:

"...keeping a stiff upper lip can be disastrous. Recent studies show that pain that lingers untreated for more than three months can actually change the hard wiring in the brain, triggering permanent changes in the way the body responds to pain signals. This both intensifies the experience of pain and risks making the condition chronic. 'If pain is not nipped in the bud with aggressive treatment, it becomes much more difficult to treat,'" Dr. Youn says.
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

Do the doctors read Ladies Home Journal?

They sure don't learn this in med school, or at least they don't admit it, or fear treating the pain.

18 years of this pain...I'm sure my brain is totally fried.

findmind
  3. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

I've read that chronic pain can actually make your brain smaller! Yikes!
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

Thanks for the heads up on the article.

I just got my July magazine in the mail yesterday. I'll have to read that article first!

Janet
  5. petsrme

petsrme Member

I agree with the article for me and from what I have seen in people I know. It can make you almost go insane. It makes your self esteem go down. It discourages you and makes life feel hopeless. It makes you do things you never did before such as drink and take drugs. It makes you so depressed and lonely. I have changed so much since pain has come into my life. I truly believe my life would be better if my doctors did more to help me deal with pain. I would rather be taking numerous pain killers than in severe and debilitating pain everday. I am not sure about the changes in the brain, but I know pain changes us sometimes. It can change a happy and positive person into a sad and pessimistic person. Who can blame them? I sure can't.