Interesting article......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ljimbo42, Jan 9, 2011.

1. ljimbo42

ljimbo42 Active Member

Orthomolecular Medicine News Service, January 5, 2011
    Zero Deaths from Vitamins, Minerals, Amino Acids or Herbs
    Poison Control Statistics Prove Supplements' Safety Yet Again

(OMNS Jan 5, 2011) There was not even one death caused by a dietary supplement in 2009, according to the most recent information collected by the U.S. National Poison Data System.

The new 200-page annual report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers, published in the journal Clinical Toxicology, shows zero deaths from multiple vitamins; zero deaths from any of the B vitamins; zero deaths from vitamins A, C, D, or E; and zero deaths from any other vitamin.

Additionally, there were no deaths whatsoever from any amino acid, herb, or dietary mineral supplement.

Two people died from non-nutritional mineral poisoning, one from a sodium salt and one from an iron salt or iron. On page 1139, the AAPCC report specifically indicates that the iron fatality was not from a nutritional supplement. One other person is alleged to have died from an "Unknown Dietary Supplement or Homeopathic Agent." This claim remains speculative, as no verification information was provided.

60 poison centers provide coast-to-coast data for the U.S. National Poison Data System, "one of the few real-time national surveillance systems in existence, providing a model public health surveillance system for all types of exposures, public health event identification, resilience response and situational awareness tracking."

Over half of the U.S. population takes daily nutritional supplements. Even if each of those people took only one single tablet daily, that makes 155,000,000 individual doses per day, for a total of nearly 57 billion doses annually. Since many persons take more than just one vitamin or mineral tablet, actual consumption is considerably higher, and the safety of nutritional supplements is all the more remarkable.

If nutritional supplements are allegedly so "dangerous," as the FDA and news media so often claim, then where are the bodies?(END)

PS. I always research all supplements I take, before I take them! all the best-JIM

2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Interesting article. Thanks for posting!

I research everything I take also, before I take it.

Best wishes,

3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I think the big question is whether there are any studies that vitamins/supplements, unless there is a deficiency, are helpful?

I think the source of the article may reflect the credibility of the articles conclusions.

4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Great points. I would add that people who put off seeing a doctor because they are self treating with vitamins/supplements might be another example how they can have a negative effect and one of the negative effects might be death.

The same can be said about unproven alternative treatments. That's kind of an oxymoron as the ones that have been proven by science based medicine, are not considered alternative.

I have read some tragic stories about people who have put off seeking treatment, as well as a friend who is dying because she did not get a colonoscopy. It's tragic.

5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

.... make sure it is from a reputable company such as ProHealth which has a third party lab. for quality control. Avoid supplements that are manufactured in China or questionable web sites, just because they are cheap.

Supplements are not regulated, so quality control may be little to none and these companies are not required to report any adverse reactions.

Gary Null found this out the hard way.

Ultimate Power Meal nearly killed him
    BY Jose Martinez

Wednesday, April 28th 2010, 4:00 AM

HandoutGary Null claims the manufacturer of Gary Null's Ultimate Power Meal overloaded the supplements with Vitamin D. A controversial alternative health guru is suing after a taste of his own medicine nearly killed him.

Gary Null - described on as "one of the nation's leading promoters of dubious treatment for serious disease" - claims the manufacturer of Gary Null's Ultimate Power Meal overloaded the supplements with Vitamin D.

The buff "Joy of Juicing" author, whose products include Red Stuff Powder and Gary Null's Heavenly Hair Cleaner, claims he suffered kidney damage and was left bloodied and in intense pain from two daily servings of the supplement.

"Null continued to take the Ultimate Power Meal, all the while thinking that it would help him, and relieve his condition; instead, it made him worse," the suit says.

The suit filed in Manhattan Supreme Court accuses Triarco Industries of causing Null's "near-death experience" by botching the testing and manufacturing of the supplement.

Null, who also owns an eponymous food shop on the upper West Side, contends he was hit last December with "excruciating fatigue" that left him unable to walk and forced him to fly back to New York and cancel lectures, counseling and filming.

"Null would later be told that if he had not flown back to New York and seen his doctor, then he could have died within a short period of time," the suit says.

"Null then sequestered himself and fasted, only consuming massive amounts of water as he was told there was no medical treatment to lower the amount of Vitamin D in his system."

The suit accuses Triarco of inadequate safety testing that led to six consumers being hospitalized with severe kidney damage. A company representative did not return calls.

"Null, in the midst of all this, while he was suffering in bed, had dozens of his customers calling him, along with condemning and threatening him," the suit says. "In fact, they threatened that they would never buy any product of his ever again."

A lawyer for Null declined to comment, but did say the tainted supplies of the Ultimate Power Meal have been pulled from store shelves.

The suit says Null, 65, is still suffering the effects of too much Vitamin D.

"Even now, Null's condition is questionable as he continues to occasionally urinate blood," the suit says. "Unfortunately, there is no medical treatment for this as it is a matter of waiting, watching and observing what develops next."

[This Message was Edited on 01/09/2011]