Interesting book on nutrition

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klutzo, Oct 5, 2002.

1. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I just found another interesting book on eating for optimum health. This one applies to all of us ,not just those of us with Syndrome X. This one is called Metabolic Typing by (can't remember first name - fog!)Wolcott, and is about how and why Eskimo's need to eat tons of meat and fat to be healthy, people in tropical climes need to eat lots of fruits and veggies, and Aborigines are healthy on insects, berries and grubs. Why one size diets do not fit all because we developed genetically to eat what was available in the areas our ancestors came from, and why most people start getting sick once they adopt the (very new in terms of human history) diet of the "advanced" cultures. I have often wondered when watching newscasts about poor, semi-starving Africans, why they would smile and have a mouth full of perfect, straight, white teeth....much better teeth than most of us in the land of plenty. This book explains why and how it relates to genes and the ideal diet for our genetic backgrounds, and how the same diet can make one person healthy and another sick. There is a test to detemine your ideal diet.
    You know how we are always arguing on this Board about high protein versus low fat, vs. vegetarian, etc. and saying we are all different? This book explains why and what you can do to find your perfect diet. (No I am not selling the book). The author has a company called healthexcel...figure out the website yourself, it's easy, if you want more info. Several web bookstores have it.
    Knowledge is power,
    Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 10/05/2002]
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I just found another interesting book on eating for optimum health. This one applies to all of us ,not just those of us with Syndrome X. This one is called Metabolic Typing by (can't remember first name - fog!)Wolcott, and is about how and why Eskimo's need to eat tons of meat and fat to be healthy, people in tropical climes need to eat lots of fruits and veggies, and Aborigines are healthy on insects, berries and grubs. Why one size diets do not fit all because we developed genetically to eat what was available in the areas our ancestors came from, and why most people start getting sick once they adopt the (very new in terms of human history) diet of the "advanced" cultures. I have often wondered when watching newscasts about poor, semi-starving Africans, why they would smile and have a mouth full of perfect, straight, white teeth....much better teeth than most of us in the land of plenty. This book explains why and how it relates to genes and the ideal diet for our genetic backgrounds, and how the same diet can make one person healthy and another sick. There is a test to detemine your ideal diet.
    You know how we are always arguing on this Board about high protein versus low fat, vs. vegetarian, etc. and saying we are all different? This book explains why and what you can do to find your perfect diet. (No I am not selling the book). The author has a company called healthexcel...figure out the website yourself, it's easy, if you want more info. Several web bookstores have it.
    Knowledge is power,
    Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 10/05/2002]
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sounds interesting.

My ancestors are from Ireland and Germany so I guess lots of whiskey and beer would be a good diet for me :)
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

One of the reasons I decided to order this book today is because of you!
    When I went on the Syndrome X diet for 2 months, I had no reduction in blood pressure, only a slight drop in cholesterol, constant sugar cravings, and a nine pound weight gain!
    Whereas, you have had a 15 lb. wt. loss in 2 weeks and a blood pressure drop as well!
    That told me that maybe, even though I am dx'd with Syndrome X, the diet may not be exactly right for me.
    I already know, from reading the preview pages on the website I ordered the book from, that because of my Celtic ancestry, I need more fat. I am half Celtic and half Russian, so this should be interesting to figure out my diet once the book arrives.
    I don't like animal fat, which is why I think the Somers diet would not be right for me... I saw her on TV talking about eating steak and creme brule. Personally, I'd rather have salad and pasta, though I know it's bad for Syndrome X. It may be that my two ancestries will clash.
    I know I'm doing something wrong, because I just got over the worst case of gastritis I've ever had. Ever since that colon prep, my IBS has been worse than it was 17 yrs. ago. I had to go out and buy the drugs I stopped taking long ago, Immodium and Gas-X. My whole GI system hurts. 17 yrs. of homeostasis wiped out in one night!
    Please keep us posted on your diet and I'll do the same.
    Klutzo