interesting books?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jenn5, Jul 17, 2006.

1. jenn5

jenn5 New Member

What are some good books you've read? Thought provoking, interesting, different, not from the standardly accepted view?

I need something to occupy my mind these days. I know there are some out there! Thanks

Jenn
  2. rigby

rigby New Member

don't read much hard to concentrate but I like true crime and Robin Cook just finished Shock good and Cell by Stephen King good. Most of the time just flip through Magizine Sharon
  3. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

L. Frank Baum wrote some 14 Oz books. And they are weirder than any movie I've ever seen. If you really want to escape, Oz is a good place to go. :)
  4. jenn5

jenn5 New Member

thanks everyone for the suggestions.

any more?
    [This Message was Edited on 07/18/2006]
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Saves the trouble of looking for new authors.

Possibly the most prolific of all popular authors was P. G. Wodehouse who died in the 1970s when he was in his 90s. He was still at work. His comic novels involving Jeeves the butler, Bertie and loony happenings at Blandings castle are timeless.

Dave Barry is probably America's most prolific humorist. He has three kinds of books: novels, books on a topic (such as understanding guys) and collections of columns.

E. F. Benson wrote the Lucia books in the 20s. There are 6 or 7. "Queen Lucia" is the first. These books are hilarious in an understated, British sort of way.

Jan Karon has written several best sellers recently about life in Mitford, a New England village.

Dora Saint, using the pen name of Miss Read, did something similar years earlier w/ English villages. She must have written 2 or 3 dozen books.

Ring Lardner is probably America's greatest short story writer. There are only 2 or 3 of his books, but they are filled w/ wonderful stories.

None of these involve car chases, shoot-outs or great passion. They generally deal in subtle humor altho Wodehouse and Barry are often blatently funny.
  6. minxlinx

minxlinx New Member

I would recommend the alterniative history series written by Harry Turtledove. They are definitely different and thought provoking. The most interesting, at least to me, were the alternative histories of the Civil War and World War II.

Ariel
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

"Freakonomics" is a light read but very entertaining and informative at the same time ... links the 'stuffy' world of economics to real life.

On a more serious note, "I Was An Economic Hit Man" is excellent, details how the US deals with foreign countries.

And yes, the OZ books by Baum are wonderfully imaginative... so many people don't know about them beyond the first one, "Wizard of Oz". He had a great imagination! Dover books have cheap reprints in paperback complete with original illustrations, they are wonderful still!

all the best,
    Victoria

8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Charles Chaplin, My Autobiography (especially the first half)

Bill Bryson, A Short History of Nearly Everything (I'm reading a chapter a day in this one. It's long, but Bryson makes science entertaining and interesting).

Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, Thunderhead. (One of my favorite thrillers, set in the canyons of southern Utah).

Fannie Flagg, Standing in the Rainbow (Our book club's July book! Just finished it last night. I loved it).

Tony Horwitz, Blue Latitudes: Boldly Going Where Captain Cook Has Gone Before (Just started it; it looks good).

Agatha Christie, By the Pricking of My Thumbs (read it as a kid and wanted to revisit it).

Have you joined our book club yet?

Kholmes

[This Message was Edited on 07/19/2006]
  9. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

I just finished the book "A Dirty Job" by Christopher Moore. I would call a dark comedy. I found it quite entertaining - it's definitely not standard.

Kat
  10. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I also enjoyed Charlie Chaplin's autobiography. :)

I remember liking The Power of One, too. And all of the Narnia books.
    (( )) Shannon