Interesting Facts about Nissen Fundoplication Surgery and CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by a-vivaldi, Mar 30, 2008.

1. a-vivaldi

a-vivaldi New Member

As a CFS sufferer for 8-years now, I have learned some very interesting things about how the Nissen Fundoplication surgery is very likely exacerbating our illnesses.

It essentially deals with diabetic-like symptoms/processes that are caused by this relatively uncommon surgery. Rather than write a novel on the topic here, I would be happy to discuss what I've learned on this topic via private e-mail. I had my Nissen in 1996 and developed CFS by 2000. Interesting....

A-Vivaldi
  2. a-vivaldi

a-vivaldi New Member

3. KerryK

KerryK Member

I have had the surgery too. It has not affected my FM issues or lead to CFS. I understand it to be a very common procedure for very severe reflux disease. In my case, it was a lifesaver. Perhaps you could help us by posting your concerns here instead of private email. I would very much like to see what you have to say.

Thankyou
  4. a-vivaldi

a-vivaldi New Member

Kerryk,

Happy to post on the downsides of the Nissen Fundoplication surgery. Yes,the surgery absolutely fixed my acid reflux problems!!! However, I have had "other" less positive experiences with this surgery as well(for 12 years now). I just didn't know if anyone else was posting out there that had this fairly uncommon surgery.

In a nutshell,this surgery often causes post-prandial(or post-meal) hyperglycemia. Doctors either just don't know this or fail to mention it. In other words, your blood sugar shoots "sky high" after each meal, especially if you are eating any amount of carbohydrates! The reason this happens is because the Nissen surgery often causes "rapid gastric emptying" or "dumping syndrome" because the size and function of the stomach has been modified, causing your food to move much more rapidly into the small intestine, where it gets converted to sugar much faster than normal. Be sure to Google "dumping syndrome" or "rapid gastric emptyting".

Through my own independent research, I was suspicious that this was my problem for several years, but even my gastro initially thought I was "nuts". She humored me and ran a glucose tolerance test. My glucose levels shot up over 300. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO NOTE IS THAT YOU WILL NEVER DETERMINE IF THIS IS A PROBLEM FOR YOU IF YOU ARE ONLY CHECKING YOUR FASTING GLUCOSE LEVEL. MY FASTING LEVELS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN COMPLETELY NORMAL. YOU MUST CHECK YOUR POST-PRANDIAL GLUCOSE EXACTLY 60 MINUTES AFTER YOU EAT. ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS BORROW IS GLUCOSE METER FROM FAMILY OR FRIENDS OR JUST BUY ONE FOR $30.00. THEN, EAT A REGULAR MEAL WITH YOUR NORMAL BEVERAGE AND MEASURE YOUR BLOOD GLUCOSE 60 MINUTES LATER. HEALTHY PEOPLE (NONDIABETICS) WILL ONLY SEE THEIR BLOOD SUGAR LEVELS RISE TO MAYBE 110-120 AFTER A MEAL. HOWEVER,PEOPLE WITH DUMPING SYNDROME FROM THE NISSEN WILL SEE THEIR LEVELS GO WAY ABOVE 200. THIS IS NOT HEALTHY AND CAUSES MANY OF THE SAME SYMPTOMS OF DIABETES. ANY LEVEL OVER 150-160 CAUSES SYMPTOMS OF DIABETES LIKE FREQUENT URINATION.

For me, the sky high(over 300)blood sugar levels were causing diabetic like symptoms, especially thirst issues and frequent urination. As a CFS patient, for many years I believed my frequent urination problems were related to low anti-diuretic hormone/vasopressin levels caused by hypothalamic dysfunction. Once I got my post-prandial glucose levels under control, all the diabetic type symptoms went away (especially the nighttime urination).

Hope this helps. For me, it was a BIG issue.

A-Vivaldi
  5. KerryK

KerryK Member

Thankyou for the information. It was very interesting. I feel fortunate that I have had no such side effects, though I had the open procedure which was a hell of a shock to my system for a long time. Now it seems the only remaining side effect is added gassiness due to a tight wrap. That won't go away. I will be watching for what you have described.

Good luck.
  6. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I'm getting a glucose meter ASAP. I think you've figured out exactly what my problem is. This would explain why my glucose was 221 during a test in August. Thanks for the info.
  7. just4mombeanies

just4mombeanies New Member

I was just wondering what you did to help your post meal diabetic symptoms after your nissan fundo? I had this procedure fundo in 2012 after a gastric bypass in 06 and since have had heart racing after every thing I eat -and mu heart rate has gone to 240. Several ER trips, dr visists, BIG heart procedures that were not needed and now the GP, the cardio Dr and the Gastric surgeon all will not help me-they all say its a different DR responsibility. Any thing to suggest or any advice would be greatly appreciated. Terri
  8. Last edited: Jan 27, 2014