Interesting Fibromyalgia Radio Show

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by astroherb, Jul 30, 2010.

1. astroherb

astroherb New Member

I just ran across this interview on the Achieve Radio show. I found it to be quite interesting and informative. It is an interview with a person who cured her fibromyalgia and is now helping others do the same by improving the diet, exercise, etc. It took her a long time to improve, but she did improve. She is from the Phoenix area. New Style of Business - The AZ Holistic Chamber of Commerce&ShowURL=
  2. kellyamos

kellyamos New Member

I tried your link and it cannot be found. I am VERY curious about this so-called "cure" of FM that you say this woman claims.... I live in the Phoenix area and I have FM. I will tell you that I DO NOT believe this woman was cured of FM.

There are only a handful of people claiming to be cured but look at the millions who suffer from FM. Don't you think if a cure was that clear cut, that we, the FM sufferers, would have found it by now?

I can certainly understand people stating things that have helped them with FM symptoms, of course we all try many different things to find relief and yes, many of those things do help people. But to claim they are "cured" of an incurable disorder, is in very bad taste to say the least.

3. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I was able to get the link work. Maybe if you copy and paste the entire address, sometimes that works.

I'm feeling yucky today so I really couldn't pay attention but from what I did gleam, the doctor works with reiki (sp), and other similar practices.

I can't remember if this doc said she can "cure" fm, but I would have to agree with kellyamos.

If there was a documented cure then everyone who suffers with fm would know about it.

Maybe someone out there has the energy to listen to the whole radio program.

There is a huge difference between "helped me" and "cured me"

4. astroherb

astroherb New Member

I really do not want to get in a controversy. I guess a "cure" is 100% better, so maybe that isn't possible. However, I have been working with a different health care person and I am about 90% better. To me that is pretty near a "cure."

I posted the article because she talks about many practical things that I have found to be helpful. That is, healing the gut, addressing problems with the adrenals and eating a nutritious diet. Also, she admits that it takes a long time to become well.

I guess I won't post anymore since everyone now is so skeptical. Anyway, I still hope it helps someone.

Best wishes,
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I agree with the previous posters. To me a cure is "all better, disease or condition is gone", not just feeling better.

I am very happy to hear that you feel 90% better, that's great!
  6. White Jasmine

White Jasmine New Member

hi ruby,
    thank you so much for the link. i found it very informative. i am so happy for you that you are 90% better. i am 90% better too but like you i am not comfortable sharing anymore regarding what contributed to my improvement. i used to come here a lot in the past when i was first diagnosed with fm and never used he word "cured" but was attacked and criticized every time i posted an improvement.

i find it a shame that it is no longer a place where we can share our progress. i talked with prohealth regarding this issue and i encourage everyone else who feels the same to contact them by phone. not many people do get better and not people give prohealth feedback, so if you do get better and feel it's not a safe place for you to share because of a few people it will help to let prohealth know about this.

i haven't decided yet if i will share my progress again or any other personal information about myself but right now i'm just learning to accept that it is hard for people see that some of us are getting better. it baffles me but i'm okay with it. i will most likely read a lot of posts and once in a while express my gratitude to the ones who share informations that contributes to my health.

i have been lurking around for some time and when i saw your post i wanted reply and say thank you. you never know, prohealth may decide in the future to add personal messaging functions to the site and then we can message each other and share safely. :)

wishing you the best

7. astroherb

astroherb New Member

Thank you for your kind reply White Jasmine. I guess I keep risking the negativity because one of the earlier posters on this site, Catseye, is responsible for me finding the health care practitioner and treatment plan that is working. As far as not being 100% "cured", I was told at the time that I began the treatment plan that it would take one year to one and one-half years to fully recover. I am now at the one year mark and get a new adrenal test this week to measure my clinical progress.

However, at the time I started, I was ready to quit my job because I could no longer handle it and I spent all weekend in bed. I am now still working, socializing and doing outside activities, plus taking care of my dog, yard and house. Not fully recovered, but I sure am living a much fuller and active life. Even if I never had any further improvement, I would consider myself extremely lucky. I am extremely grateful that someone who was on here before me shared her story.

I will consider calling Pro Health. This used to be a wonderful, wonderful, forum before all the negativity took over.

Again, thank you.

8. luigi21

luigi21 Member

Sad to hear you feel you cannot come on here and talk of being 'cured' thats all i want for myself, why would anyone be so sceptical, maybe thats what keeps then sick. i'm trying dr sarno's methods at moment, i don't care what caused this thing, if our brain has the power to make us sick, doesn't it have the power to cure us? i'm grateful for your postings keep on keeping on, but do understand that negativity is something you don't wanna be around, couldn't agree with you more!
  9. Spacey

Spacey Member

If your cured or 100% better, maybe you don't have fibrmyalgia? Sorry to be so cynical, but Iv'e had symptoms my whole life, even as a child and I don't believe it when someone says they have found a cure. It's a complex medical condition, and to suggest that is ridiculas. I hope one day they do find a cure, but when that happens we will here about it from the medical community. Thanks Spacey
  10. roge

roge Member

i wasnt going to reply to this thread but then i read the most recent post before mine and i just had to.

"if u dont believe you can cure yourself, you wont". boy oh boy, what a rediculous statement. ya i guess that thinking also applies to one with MS, cancer, Parkinsons , ect. heh? if they just believe more that they will cure themselves then they will just indeed cure themselves.

there is a big difference between not giving up and trying different treatments and having to believe you will cure yourself in order to cure yourself.

im not syaing the mind and one's belief is not important as therapies like CBT can help anyone better "manage" any physical illness, but to imply as this poster just did that one has to believe they can cure themselves in order to do it, is just hogwash. perhaps you were implying more of the motto to not to give up hope and keep trying various treatments, i dont know.

i have no problem with people coming on here and stating certain treatments have helped them feel better, even back to 80% bettter as i believe that is possible as there are likley subsets to these diseases with varying degress of severity and why some might improve more than others. i just have an issue with someone coming on here saying or implying that one has to believe they will be cured in order to get cured or in a sense giving way too much power to the mind and one's beliefs when it comes to physical disease.

by the way ljimbo42, very happy you are feeling better and back to 60-70%, that is great news! I am a male like you, bit younger as I am 40 and have had fibro and myofacial pain for 20 years and me/cfs for the last 5 years. I was an athlete and had a career as banker but am on disability since 2005.

[This Message was Edited on 12/12/2010]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/12/2010]
  11. ljimbo42

ljimbo42 Active Member

I was saying, if you don't believe it's possible to get better or to become cured then why would you try? And if you get somewhat better, but don't beleive there's a cure why would you try to get cured? You mentioned hope in your post and what is hope, if not the belief that something is possible? I'm not talking about MS, cancer or parkinsons. I am talking about my personal experience. I finally found some relief when I was forced to believe (through pain and agony) that there had to be a way to get better. It became my life's work, 50, 60,and 70 hours of research a week, spending my last dime on supplements until I found what works and I am living on disability income. I am still reseaching today for better ways. A couple of years ago I was on 140mgs a day of morphine, bedridden and still in alot of pain.Today I take no narcotics and am no longer bedridden and have very little pain. I also want to stress I don't believe this is a psychological illness, I am absolutely positive it is a physical illness,the answers are in the gut, and it takes an enormous amount of time and effort to get well! Good Luck to you.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/13/2010]
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

First, there are a lot of things we can do to heal and feel better. I've never used the word, cure, because no matter how much better we get, no one knows for sure that FMS or CFIDS can be cured. Many get back to 100 percent only to relapse later on. Still, that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to heal. In my own case, it took a very long and complicated regimen in order to get back to about 80 percent, enough to work part time, my goal. Doing that also involved a lot of faith in God, myself, my docs and my treatment options. I believe attitude is probably the most important part of healing.

Since healing to 80 percent, I've relapsed and have had to quit my job. I am being tested for Sjogren's Syndrome and it appears likely that I have it. Like with FMS/CFIDS, there is no known cause and no known cure. It is as difficult to diagnose as well. What makes it more problematic is that it is an auto-immune condition which can lead the body to turn of itself in some very nasty ways. I'm tired and never thought I'd have to go through this whole diagnosis/treatment/coping situation again. Don't know whether I'm up to it or not this time. All these immune/auto-immune illnesses can travel in packs, like dogs. But, I digress...

I don't know why words like, healing, cure, or improvement, stir up such emotional responses. I'm sorry that it has sometimes made it difficult to discuss options here. No one should be attacked for posting, unless he or she is selling something. I was greatly helped with my FMS by the Guaifenesin Protocol and was often attacked here whenever I posted about it. I am eternally grateful that I found it and that it worked for me; it doesn't work for everyone.

Thank you for posting this. Most of us here are skeptical about anyone who claims to have been cured but that shouldn't mean we aren't willing to consider it, or ignore it. I hope this hasn't discouraged you.

Love, Mikie
  13. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Well said Mikie!

I think such emotions get stirred up (like here and in other threads I've recently read) because we all take this personally. Every statement about an illness or condition that is "our's" (that we've been diagnosed with, but I don't think that DEFINES us) can feel like a statement about us ... instead of about these things that we are dealing with. Someone saying something about their own experience suddenly is met with criticism and sometimes harsh reactions because I believe people are interpreting it as personal attacks and judgment.

I too struggle with my own frustration with some of the attitudes and energy I get from this board.

I know that what we DO have in common is struggle ... we share pain, and stress and often times the devastation and heart ache that comes with chronic pain and illness. I think in the midst of that pain, we are sometimes forgetting what we have in common- what we share- and we sometimes snap at the people who are similarly wounded or have struggled as well.

I think it is important to believe and hope that recovery is possible (not just managing these diagnoses). I am similarly inclined to believe that it's a prereq to recovery to believe and become dedicated TO RECOVERING. I'm not saying that people who are still sick and in pain haven't tried hard enough or didn't believe "enough" ... but I do think that our minds and hearts and bodies are intricately connected and we can accomplish and heal far more than we ever thought possible if we believe it's possible AND work towards that end.

I used to have the diagnosis of CFIDS, I don't any more. I don't necessarily consider myself cured, because I don't really attach to labels. These labels aren't who we are ... they are a label attached to our SET OF SYMPTOMS, which is the best descriptor that medicine has to sort out what is up and then head of to try to help us. So I think it's pointless to start debating who really "has" any of these diagnoses because you will find people who have recovered from these diagnoses or are doing better than others and people will always argue they never really had it. I know several people who have had CFIDS who are MUCH better and would consider themselves recovered.

I just delved way off topic. My main point is to back up what Mikie said and say thank you astroherb for providing an informational resource!

Fibro, CFIDS, chronic illnesses and pain are complex problems .... there aren't going to be simple fixes, and if that's the only type of solution people are going to accept as legit, than I fear people are going to be sorely disappointed. Like Mikie mentioned it generally takes comprehensive approaches (and is what the lady on the radio (Betsey Timmerman) talks about on the link that started off this whole thread ...

I'm currently listening to the radio link (link worked for me, perhaps it isn't loading because some computers don't have the right media player or plugin? Just a thought). She echoes a lot of things that people on here talk about and investigate ... she mentions how FMS is probably a nervous system disregulation, possible causes include built up stress that wears out the body, mineral, enzyme and vitamin deficiencies, recovery being hampered by yeast overgrowth, etc. ... the emphasize on getting restorative sleep ... etc.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/13/2010]
  14. luigi21

luigi21 Member

excellent posting thanks. Couldn't agree more to NOT attaching yourself to labels.