interesting info in autoimmune book about FM/CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by claudiaw, Apr 13, 2006.

1. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

This book say's FM is not an autoimmune disease, but CFS is. Not sure about that but,FM was discovered in the late 19th century. It was called neurasthenia. It was attributed to a weak nervous system that sent women to bed with aches and pains.

In 1975 it was renamed fibrositis, meaning inflammation of the muscle, which now is believed to be false.

Seemed the doctor's of the 19th century had it right.

It is now considered an over reaction of the nervous system to pain.We have too much substance P ( body's pain perception chemical).

Which lead's me to wonder why we see Rhuemy's instead of neurologist's.

They think stresses to the central nervous system is what causes it, ie. car accident's, virues ( which would be autoimmune)hormones, and extreme emotional stress.

I found it interesting, just thought I would share.:)

Claudia
    P.S. The book is The Autoimmune Connection, by Rita-Baron-Faust and Jill P. Buyon,M.D. if interested.

The book talk's about : Lupus,MS,RA,Thyriod disease,Sjogren's Syndrome,Chrohn's,Type 1 Diabetes,Myasthenia Gravis and a few more.[This Message was Edited on 04/13/2006]
  2. sues1

sues1 New Member

Thanks for the posting.....Anxious to see what others has to say.........Susan
  3. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I thought so too.:)

Claudia
  4. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

Thanks for posting.

I am a long term FM sufferer, and have been researching for years. I have visited support groups, and have listened to peoples stories.

I believe that FM and CFS are different. All the CFS people that I have spoken to have told me that their problems started from a flue like sickness, often quite severe. When I speak to FM sufferers their problems always seem to start from some trauma (physical accident, stress etc).

Some years ago I met a lady with FM, who had had no sickness except for fibroids, and asthma. After going into hospital for a fibroid operation, she suddenly became ill, and was eventually diagnosed with slipped disks in her neck, and FM.

She suggested that I go to her neurologist. After going to him for a year, he finally diagnosed me with two compressed disks, and osteophites in my neck, plus right vestibular (ear) damage.

I now believe that I have had cervical (neck) damage from childhood, that became worse in my late teens. I am now 45.

I am now interested in links between FM and spinal damage, and have noticed that there are some cases of FM that start from hysterectomy, or other operations, or from car accidents etc.

My thinking these days is that FM will eventually be found to be neurological. At the moment, however, neurologists know vertually nothing about FM.

I am also concerned that people are being injured while under anaesthetic. Having a long neck seems to be a risk factor for cervical damage.

Thanks again for posting. I believe that finding out what these diseases actually are, will be a major breakthrough for all of us. It's nice to know that there are people out there trying to figure it out.
  5. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I agree with you.

It is funny that the doctor's in the 19th century seemed to be on the right track.

Don't know what happened in the 70"s that the doctor's decided it was muscle inflammation instead. Now it seem's they are once again going back to the nerve pain signal's not responding properly.

Eventually someone will get it right.:)

Best wishes,

Claudia
  6. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

it can get confusing!

So far this book, made the most sense to me.

Claudia