Intermezzo-middle of night waking up

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FaithHopeCure, Aug 18, 2012.

1. FaithHopeCure

FaithHopeCure New Member

I have been using several supplements to help me sleep which has been helping me sleep. Although I still wake up between 2-4 am and can't get back to sleep. I have tried phosphoralated serene which again helped for awhile but lost its effect.

After struggling for the last month, and the muscle pain started to creep back into my life. Also, anxiety started again. I finally talked to the dr about the middle of night waking up and she suggested Intermezzo. It is a form of Zolpidem but at a very low dose 1.75 vs 5mg or 10mg of what ambian is. It is sublingual so works in 10 minutes and gets out of your system quickly. If I manage to sleep past 4:00 am then I don't take it. They recommend you don't take it if you have to drive 4 hours after taking it.

This has been such a huge help to me! I still take my sleep supplements to get me to sleep, but this gives me an option when I wake up too early and I no longer have to struggle with getting back to sleep. No hangover because it is such a low dose!!!! I used to bite a 10 mg ambian in half or even a 1/4 and I would still feel the med in my system the next day. A sedated depressing feeling. Intermezzo has none of that for me.

My dr is trying to get my insurance to pay for it, but even if they don't cover I am willing to pay full price! It is worth it to get a total of seven good hours of sleep. Sleep is soooo important to our fibro health!

[This Message was Edited on 08/18/2012]
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I have middle of the night insomnia too. When my cortisol was high, Seriphos (phosphorylated serine) helped tremendously but it's not high now, so Seriphos doesn't do the trick.

What helps me in the middle of the night is hops (an herb), 2 mg. of melatonin (I already take 3 mg. before bed), 100 mg. of l-theanine and 0.5 mg. of lorazepam. Yeah, it's a cocktail! but it works. I'm just very leery of ambien type drugs but am glad you found a low dose alternative. If the Intermezzo is expensive, you might try what I'm using, which is all very cheap.

I end up averaging 8 hours a night, which is lovely -

3. FaithHopeCure

FaithHopeCure New Member

I only take the intermezzo on a as needed basis and although it is a derivative if ambian, at least it is a very low dose.

Jaminhealth - I will give the calms forte a try. I have tried suntheanine and GABA in the middle of the night but it no longer does the trick. Strange because these work great along with melatonin at the beginning of the night.

Mary - I have never tried melatonin in the middle of the night. I will try that too.
  4. Jittle

Jittle Member

If I read a couple of the posts correctly, the views on ambien is that it is too strong. Well then what is wrong with me??? I have tried it twice, I get very tired but don't sleep.

Between a nasal med that makes me tired, otc supplements, my cymbalta, and headache med, I am ok falling asleep. BUT, I too, wake up between 4 and 5AM. I have not had a good nights sleep in months now. I wonder what 2 ambien would do? I don't want anything bad to happen, but I would love a good ten hours sleep one night

5. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

Have you tried 20 mg melatonin? Try the pure encapsulation brand for 20 mg.

Also meditation helps me- I'm off all sleep meds now and sleep better w/o meds than with. I get lazy with the meditation-but if I do it religiously I sleep sooooooooooooooooo much better.

The sleep meds never gave me restorative sleep. They helped during my drug intitatied MS type neuro attack 2 years ago when I totally stopped sleeping and was in so much pain/neurlogical angst/nightmare-- but none of them really worked well. I would not try the addictive benzo's.
  6. catherine22

catherine22 New Member

my doctor mentioned intermezzo to me but i had never heard of it - do you like it? does it easily dissolve? i have only ever used swallow pills and was unsure of the dissolve pill
  7. FaithHopeCure

FaithHopeCure New Member

The intermezzo works great for me. It is the perfect dose for middle of the night waking up. Also, it dissolves quickly and gets me back to sleep quickly.

I am trying to get my insurance to cover it. Hopefully, it will get improved soon because it is the only sleep aid that helps me in the middle of the night.
  8. ... I just heard about from a sleep expert that was on Dr. Oz is Magnolia Bark (30 mg)... He says this is the best thing to take if you wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep... He says you don't want to take it in conjunction with a sleeping pill (like Ambien, Lunesta, etc)... since I can only take natural supps, I think I'm going to give this a try! Has anyone else tried this before?