International Symposium on Viral Infections in CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bluebottle, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

This sounds good, although it's odd that Prof Peter White from the UK is speaking at it as he is outspoken in his belief that M.E./CFS is a psychological disorder.

International Symposium on Viral Infections in CFS (Baltimore June 22 & 23)

Do viruses and other pathogens play a role in CFS? Roughly 10% of patients who get acute EBV mononucleosis or Ross River fever end up with CFS. Do these infections trigger other processes or is there an ongoing infection that cannot be detected in the peripheral blood? Do CFS investigators need to look in the stomach antrum, cardiac tissue or or brain tissue of CFS patients instead of the peripheral blood? What role do pathogens such as parvovirus B-19, HHV-6, enterovirus, Borna virus or EBV play in CFS? These questions will be discussed at our special symposium immediately after the end of the main conference on June 22nd through Monday, June 23rd. One special highlight: Jose Montoya hopes to disclose his findings for the trial of Valcyte in CFS patients with elevated antibodies to HHV-6 and EBV.

Speakers to include (list incomplete):

* Liv Bode, PhD, Robert Koch Institute, Germany (Borna virus in CFS)
    * Nora Chapman, PhD, University of Nebraska Medical Center (Enterovirus overview)
    * John Chia, MD, UCLA & EV Med Research, California, USA (enterovirus in CFS )
    * Kenny De Meirleir, MD, PhD, Himmunitas Foundation, Belgium (RNaseL activity and virus)
    * Birgitta Evengard, MD, PhD, Umeå University, Umeå, Sweden (viral markers in CFS)
    * Brigitte Huber, PhD, Tufts University, Boston, MA, USA (EBV and interferon activation of retrovirus K-18 in CFS)
    * Jonthan Kerr, MD, PhD, St. George’s, University of London, UK (Gene expression subtypes in patients with CFS and ME)
    * Nancy Klimas, MD, University of Miami, Florida, USA (Immune function, CFS and viral illness )
    * Anthony Komaroff, MD, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA (HHV-6 in CFS)
    * Kazuhiro Kondo, MD, PhD, Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan (HHV-6 & 7 infections in fatigue & mood disorders)
    * Andrew Lloyd, MD, UNSW School of Medical Sciences, Australia (post-viral fatigue)
    * Jose Montoya, MD, Stanford University, USA (Antiviral treatment of CFS patients )
    * Dan Peterson, MD, Sierra Internal Medicine, Incline Village, USA (novel viruses in CFS)
    * Barbara Savoldo, MD, Baylor College of Medicine, (chronic active EBV and cytotoxic T-cell immunotherapy)
    * Mariko Seishima, MD, Ogaki Municipal Hospital, Japan (Parvovirus infections in CFS)
    * Keizo Tomonga, PhD, DVM, Osaka University, Japan (Borna virus in CFS)
    * Suzanne Vernon, PhD, CFIDS Association of America, USA (Host genetics and viral infection)
    * Peter White, MD, St Barts Hospital, Queen Mary School of Medicine, London UK, (Overview on Post-Viral Fatigue)
    * Ute Vollmer-Conna, PhD, University of South New Wales (cytokines in post viral fatigue)
    * Marshall Williams, PhD, Ohio State University, USA (EBV DUTPase in fatigue)
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

All I can say is, maybe someone has convinced White of the viral components of CFS, and he will be a convert!

This list of speakers is very, very impressive.

Do you know if there will be a DVD of the conference available afterwards? I think it is important that patients know exactly what clinicians and researchers are saying, or not saying, if that's the case.

Thanks so much for this info; please let us know about a transcript or DVD, will you?

3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

I'm sorry this is all I know about the conference, but it is brilliant news that so many experts (still worried about Prof White!) are speaking.
  4. mezombie

mezombie Member

Also the National CFIDS Foundation and some others.

This is BIG. Montoya is expected to reveal the results of his Valcyte study! And the concept of viral reactivation will hopefully get the attention it desperately needs. I live in a major metropolitan area, and can't find a doctor here who is convinced that viral reactivation can happen in anyone other than someone who is HIV-positive or has had an organ transplant.

I know a number of patients will be attending, so we can expect summaries from some of our own. Cort Johnson of PhoenixRising will be reporting it in his newsletter.

There is bound to be a DVD and/or transcripts available afterwards.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For posting this. I'm anxious to hear about the meeting and outcome of the study.

Love, Mikie
  6. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

HHV-6 Foundation supposedly working on making transcripts or video on-line, trying to make it FREE if they are able to find enough funding.

Wouldn't expect immediate availability though.

[This Message was Edited on 06/19/2008]
  7. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i still cant find a synopsis, other than the great ones posted on this message board, of the may london conference!

yup...june is gonna be big! i will watch the roche stock price for fun lol

i am so glad that doctors are realizing that antibodies in the blood mean nothing....can you imagine the implications this will have for other diseases!?

8. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

if anyone wants to know the outcome of montoya'a study, it will probably posted 1st on roche's website i would imagine...drug companies have links on their sites to recent news about their drugs...