Interrupted breathing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by laspis1, Mar 13, 2006.

1. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

I was wandering if anyone else experiences this. If you ever cried or remember crying like a child, when the crying stops, the breathing is sometimes interrupted by a gasp. This is as close as I can describe it. However this happens to me without crying. It is as if your breathing skipped like a broken CD. This happens during the day. Does anyone here experience that?
    [This Message was Edited on 03/13/2006]
  2. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Yes!
    It has happened to me while I was asleep.
    It wakes me up feeling like I'm going to suffocate.
    It is scarey.
    I do have slight sleep apnea, so that could be my problem.
    Don't know if that is the way it happens to youIf so you my want a sleep study done.
    I know longer use the breathing machine(CPAP)it kept me awake all night!
    Hope this helps.
    Claudia
  3. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

You are right, the interrupted breathing during sleep is a sleep apnea. Mine however happens during the day. Not sure if I have sleep apnea as well, I never had the sleep study done.
  4. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

It isn't quite the same as what you are experiencing, but similar. I found myself holding my breath many times during the day. All of a sudden, I would realize I was holding my breath, and I'd have to say, "Oh that's right, I have to breathe!" and I'd take a very deep breath. Almost a gasp to get air.

I had my massage therapist work on my diaphragm muscle. It's kind of weird to have someone massage that muscle because it is just under your ribs, but it helped. I had to really make an effort to relax while she was doing this. Lots of memories of brothers tickling me until I cried!!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/13/2006]
  5. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

I guess that is a little different, but it explains what I have been reading here when some of you say you have to remind yourself to breathe. I do not think I have experienced that. Rather, the interruption in my breathing is very independent of my will. I cannot stop it or make it happen. It just does.
  6. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

and then all of a sudden, you just have a big deep gasp, then go back to breathing normally? Is that right? If not could you describe it a bit more? How many times a day does this happen?
  7. krayon

krayon New Member

I don't recall gasping, but my breathing gets very hard and labored when I'm just sitting to where people in the same room as I make comments about it to me. But this comes and goes about like everything else with this DD!!

Also when sleeping (I've been told) it scares my DH to listen to me. This may be sleep apnea (sp)??

But I don't know what the daytime thing is.

I too hope that maybe someone can explain the breathing thing.

{Hugs}
    ~ *Karen*~
  8. livin4him

livin4him New Member

like when you have just climbed a big hill and are exhausted. This happens to me all the time. It's like I can never get enough oxygen.
  9. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

I guess it is not easy to describe it. You are right, I am breathing normally and than while I am taking a breath it gets interrupted in the middle. It is not even a big gasp. It happens a number of times during the day. It seems harmless, but weired.
  10. krayon

krayon New Member

No, mine is not like that, it's more like it just goes out of wack. Kind of like heart palpations but at the time my heart seems to be beating ok.

I don't know just an odd thing.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}
    ~ *Karen* ~
  11. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

No mine is not hyperventilating or labored breathing. It simply is an interruption in mid breath, than it resumes. It is involuntary, I have no control over it.
  12. caperkat

caperkat New Member

I experience that at night when I'm sleeping, or falling asleep. My Dr. just ordered a sleep study for me (eek). Have any of you ever done that. I'm not looking forward to it. Sounds like sleep apnea to me, but I've not experienced it during the day.
  13. caperkat

caperkat New Member

I think I read 2 or 3 of you here also said something about having to think about or remind yourself to take a breath. Also feeling like you're not getting enough oxygen & it's hard to get a breath (not asthma, tho). I experience that every day. I sure appreciate the exhange of ideas, questions, and encouragement you folks share on here, I'm fairly new to this board (although have been in the chat off & on for years).

kat
  14. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

Mine are definitely not associated with panic attacks. They may happen when I am really calm. i cannot think of any other physiological thing happening at the same time. It is simply a quick interruption in my breathing. I think I have a weired one... I think it has something to do with the ANS as it looses control of my breathing. So far it is nothing scary, just strange, the interruption is not long enough to make me worry or panic at this point. I never mentioned it to the dr, but i may do that on my next visit.
  15. mrstyedawg

mrstyedawg Member

I know exactly what you mean. It is like you have to remind your body to breathe. I do the gasping thing. Another thing that happens to me is that I feel as if I can't breathe down into my stomach. It is hard to describe. I have had this for many many years. I finally went to a Pulmonary doctor and had all of the breathing test but they came back normal. Just one more waste of a doctor visit and money thrown out the window.

It is not panic attacks. My neruologist said that I have an autonomic nervous system dysfunction. He explained it thatthe nerves that are responsible for the lungs and heart to function properly are getting crossed and not sending the right signals. I have tried oxygen but it does not help this problem.
  16. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

I agree. I too believe that the breathing issues are caused by ANS... I am afraid to mention it to the dr, because I know they will send me to a pulmonary dr for another round of tests that will show nothing. So far, however, no one here came back with the exact breathing issue I have been trying to describe. I am surprised, because as much as I have not heard this one before, I thought some people for sure would experience it. The more common description, particularly for those with CFS, is 'forgetting to breathe' which I think is a bit different from mine, and so is hyperventilating. But they could all be related and stemming from ANS.
  17. mrstyedawg

mrstyedawg Member

As I said before, all of my breathing tests were normal. Just had the test done six months ago. I have had this problem for 20 years. Do you ever get breathless from talking? Or from just walking across the room? Also, sometimes it feels as if there is a weight on my chest. Do you have CFS or Fibro. I have CFS which several doctors have told me that my symptoms are caused by an autonomic nervous system dysfunction. Believe me I have been around the country and have had every test possible to determine my problem. I am sorry that you have this terrible problem, but it seems to be rare on this message board. It feels good to find someone who understands how horrible this is.

When the Pulmonary Doctor came and told me that all of my tests were normal, I actually started crying on him. I wanted something to not be right so that he could treat it. He just told me that this is very common in people with ANS. He really didn't have too much sympathy for me. Most doctors don't it seems.
  18. Juloo

Juloo Member

I don't notice it so much anymore, but it does happen once in a while. Mostly I remember noticing it when I was sitting in church. All of a sudden I would realize that I hadn't breathed in a while and would have to take a deep breath. It's as if my breathing (supposed to be involuntary) all of a sudden were NOT involuntary. Used to freak me out.

Someone mentioned nighttime sleep apnea. There are actually two (or three) kinds of apnea. The most common is the obstructive type -- where your air passage is blocked by whatever.

The other type is 'central' apnea (the third is a combination of the two). I haven't read about it in a while, but I *think* it's when there's a glitch with the central nervous system, and the diaphragm doesn't get the message to contract. A sleep study is supposed to be able to tell the difference.

It seems to me that there is quite a bit of overlap w/CFS and FM and CNS involvement. Maybe that's what's going on, just during our waking hours.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/16/2006]
  19. stephdarwin1

stephdarwin1 Member

how reassuring to read that somebodyelse has the exact same symptons but what a shame there is no answer
    Jesse_healing likes this.
  20. Jesse_healing

Jesse_healing Member

I have been reading the book "Beating Chronic Fatigue, your step-by-step guide to complete recovery" and it talks about the Autonomic Nervous system (which controls breathing) and how it relates to the HPA axis, which is the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal axis. This is the control center for a bunch of things. Hope this helps. :)