Interstitial Cystitis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chris350, Feb 19, 2009.

1. chris350

chris350 New Member

How many of you suffer from I/C as well? Would you mind sharing what meds have helped, etc.

2. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I have it and don't take meds because of their side effects. The main thing I do that helps tremendously is avoiding foods that cause the flare ups. It may help to keep a diary to help determine the foods that are the worst offenders for you. (When you have pain, what did you eat prior to that?) I know that's not fun, but it will help you in the long run.

A great website for additional info on I/C is The website also has a list of foods they recommend avoiding. The list is long, but most people do not have to avoid all of the foods. I don't.

Some people on that website recommend something called Prelief to help take the acidity out of foods, but I just use Tums. I don't see any difference between the two products except that Prelief has some Magnesium in it. Prelief is MUCH more pricey.

There are many other suggestions also on the website besides what foods to eat and not to---I just found that the foods were mare mainly what caused my flare ups, and when I avoid the foods, it calms down. The same is true with stress---it can also aggravate the condition, but not always. I'm sure others here will have good suggestions for you too.

Best of luck,

LISALOO New Member

I had it two years before CFS. I take detrol La and that's about it. As long as I watch my diet and my supplements (unfortunalty for CFS they want you to take things with Vit B and Vit C, which would bring me out of an IC remission) I can contain it.

I've had it in remission before so It's possible. However, last fall I tried Valcyte and that brought it right back out. I got used to eating chocolate and tomatos and other bad IC foods while I was in remission and it's been hard to give them up again, so I haven't gotten it back into remission. Coffee is the hardest!

Also, when I only had IC the best thing for me was doing pelvic exercises. Now I really can't do more than 3 streatches a day, but that cut down on all the muscles that what react to the pain from the bladder by tightening up.[This Message was Edited on 02/20/2009]