Interstitial cystitis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jojojem, Nov 7, 2002.

1. jojojem

jojojem New Member

has any body had interstitial cystitis and been treated with a new drug called Elmiron and how did it work and any bad side effects besides loosing your hair.
  2. jojojem

jojojem New Member

has any body had interstitial cystitis and been treated with a new drug called Elmiron and how did it work and any bad side effects besides loosing your hair.
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I am not familiar with the drug, but did find the information below for you.

If this is a bladder infection, have you tried pure Cramberry Juice or Black Cherry Juice? Also you need to drink a lot of Distilled Water (no minerals in it).

I hope others that have this will also answer you, all I do is take the juices above, and its usually gone in a few days. But you could have something more serious than I get.

Hope this is of some help. The other information on this drug was sooooo technical, I took the 'Patients' information for you. HOpe you are feeling better soon.

Shalom, Shirl

ELMIRON ORAL
    Patient Handout

PENTOSAN POLYSULFATE SODIUM - ORAL

The following information is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of your physician, pharmacist or other healthcare professional. It should not be construed to indicate that use of the drug is safe, appropriate, or effective for you. Consult your healthcare professional before using this drug.

Common Brand Name(s):
    Elmiron

Uses
    This medication is used in the treatment of interstitial cystitis, a bladder disorder.

How to Take this Medication
    This medication is taken by mouth as directed usually three times a day. Swallow the capsules whole with a full glass of water at least one hour before or two hours after meals. It is important to continue taking this medication for the full time prescribed to receive maximum benefit. It may take up to several months of continued use to see a relief in symptoms.

Side Effects
    This medication is generally well tolerated. Stomach upset, nausea, headache, dizziness or diarrhea may occur. If any of these effects continue or become bothersome, inform your doctor. Notify your doctor if you experience: rash, hair loss, unusual bleeding or bruising. Very unlikely but report: vision problems, insomnia, persistent sore throat, yellowing of the eyes or skin, vomiting, fever, sun sensitivity, itching, trouble breathing, chest pain. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

Precautions
    Tell your doctor your medical history, especially of: other illnesses, liver disease, blood or bleeding disorders, ulcers, stomach or digestive disorders, recent or scheduled surgical procedures, any allergies. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant before using this drug. It is unknown if this medication is excreted into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.

Interactions
    Tell your doctor of any over-the-counter or prescription medication you use, including: warfarin, heparin, other blood thinners, aspirin or aspirin-like NSAIDS (e.g., ibuprofen, naproxen). Do not start or stop any medicine without doctor or pharmacist approval.

Overdose
    If overdose is suspected, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately. Symptoms of overdose may include unusual bruising or bleeding, nausea, and vomiting.

Notes
    If you are scheduled for any surgery or dental procedures, remind your doctor you are taking this medication. Do not share this medication with others.

Missed Dose
    If you miss a dose, take it as soon as remembered; do not take it if it is near the time for the next dose, instead, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not "double-up" the dose to catch up.

Storage
    Store at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 to 30 degrees C) away from heat and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep this and all medication out of the reach of children.

Taken from; Medscape

[This Message was Edited on 11/07/2002]
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I have had bouts of cystitis, mine comes & goes. I'm glad Shirl was able to get info on Elmiron, I had not used it. I use a supplement called Cysta-Q, can be ordered on-line. My urologist gave me a sample, it promotes good bladder health & I think it worked well for me. I honestly do not take it daily (like I probably should, but costs about $50 a month) but if I start feeling that the cystitis is recurring, I start it 2x daily, & within a few days I'm feeling better.

One thing I wanted to say is, if you have true Interstitial Cystitis, DO NOT USE cranberry juice, it is the worst thing for it--way too acidic! I drank tons of cranberry juice and continued to feel miserable before my urologist told me I was making it worse. Cysta-Q contains cranberry powder, which is the correct form for cystitis. Cranberry juice is fine & recommended for a urinary tract infection, but NOT cystitis.

Good luck to you & hope you feel better soon.

Pam