Interview With Dr. Kerr

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bioman85, Jun 22, 2006.

1. bioman85

bioman85 New Member

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), also known as ME (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis) has been controversial.

It has sometimes been dismissed as imaginary. The British researchers have been conducting a mass study, comparing over 40,000 genes and variants in sufferers and healthy people.

SOT (English speech) super: Dr. Jonathan Kerr, principal investigator, St. George's Medical School
    "Four years ago we set out on this programme of research and we were frustrated by the fact that chronic fatigue syndrome had been labelled as possibly, "All in the mind" and we have shown that there are distinct biological differences between patients and normal people.”

They have used two separate techniques : examining the DNA of patients and non-sufferers, the latter known as "Controls" while also studying the protein samples from the two groups.

Results show striking differences that have led to a potential breakthrough.

Treatment could be based on immune therapy as well as finding a diagnostic test across a broad range of proteins.

SOT (English speech) super: Dr. Jonathan Kerr, principal investigator, St. George's Medical School
    "We’ve shown that several hundred genes are very, very different between patients and controls and we now must make sure that these are specific differences to this disease and after that we can use that information to design new treatments.”

The next step is setting up clinical trials using beta interferon, a drug used in the treatment of multiple sclerosis.

This drug boosts the body's immune system, combating the viruses thought to be among the causes of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

A German company, Schering AG, is contributing supplies of the drug for this project.

"We’re in the process of collection of several thousand samples from patients, normal people and other patients with control diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, for example, and we must test our gene signature in all these groups to make sure it is specific.”

Though they have received funding in the past, a fresh financial boost is needed for this next stage. With further support, the researchers could make a vital contribution to understanding and combating this debilitating illness.
  2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

if they could identify a virus or two and then treat it, for however long it took, and then you would be totally well? I keep hoping, for you and for my son, that this will happen soon! Take care and thanks for posting this.
  3. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I really think we are on the brink of finding the cause and treatment for CFS/ME. I believe whole-heartedly that CFIDS is caused by some kind of viral infection and the immune system going haywire. Mine began after having mono 9 years ago, however, I recently tested negative for EBV. So my infectious disease doctor believes that it was another virus that caused a mono-like illness for me.

I really hope they can find a treatment soon. I think we're all sick and tired of feeling sick and tired.

Gentle hugs,
    Kim
  4. ulala

ulala New Member

who did not see this.
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

6. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

and often makes people really sick with flulike side effects . this seems confusing .
  7. bioman85

bioman85 New Member

Why is this confusing?
  8. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

Isn't it supposed to "boost the immune system"?

I thought our problems were related to an already-overactive immune system... which was why so many of us also struggle with allergies, arthritis etc. v Maybe I'm mistaken.

Somebody know more about this?

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  9. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

it's the other way around, our immune system is under active.