Interview with Dr. Wahls ( "minding your mitochondria")her MS recovery

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by herbqueen, Feb 11, 2011.

1. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

Dr. Wahls has written a book (minding your mitochondria) on her recovery from secondary progressive MS through intense nutrition and electrical stimulation-

I bought the book- she's using the nutrition approach successfully with other chronic illnesses and brain injured patients of hers.

Here is the link of an interview with her I copied from her facebook page-this approach to healing the body through intense nutrition and detox (she does alot of detox techniques)-maybe helpful for some- she also recommends this for fibromyalgia. Facinating and inspiring story-

2. elliespad

elliespad Member

I watched the entire interview, takes about 50 minutes. This is consistent with lots that I have read, both on this board, and in independent studying on how to regain my health/life. I've been on this board about 10 years I think, and those who have recovered have done it through STRICT adherence of a healthful diet, much like Dr. Wahl advocates. These posters are generally put through the ringer when trying to relay this information and promote this method of healing, really sad.

I do believe this approach to healing is possible and wish I could get serious about giving it a try. I believe it was Hippocrates who said, "Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." I do believe it.

Here are a few more links if you'd like to read more about Dr. Wahls approach. One link allows for you to sign up for her newsletter.

Thanks for posting this herbqueen.

3. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

Thanks Elliespad. I've not given up. I do think diet is a component to healing . I've tried many diets over the years in the beginning ( 13 years ago) the blood type diet cut my pain half (low carb for type O's). I also took moducare--got better-stayed on all organic diet/local/grass fed meats-spelt for breads, bone broths for soups etc etc. Thought I was doing Ok until 45 years with the optic neuritis attack with nerve damage-down hill since then with herbal lyme and and a few drugs sending me into horrific auto immune attacks with ms type symptoms remainin- long story. No MS diagnosis.

Now i'm trying to do the wahl approach. I've not given up grains entirely-but only gf whole grains and trying to limit those. I need them to maintain my weight (now 113 lbs). Striving for her recommended 9 cups raw veggies/some frutis per day in salads and smoothies, juicing, a little bit of lean organic meat or fish (low sat fat only), some nuts, healthy oils (flax, hemp, olive). No eggs , dairy, gluten, sweetners, yeast .

2 months into the diet and so far my skin is improved and hair stopped falling out. My massage therapist commented on how little hair I was losing- less nerve pain, a little bit more muscle strength-but more muscle pain. Not sure if the muscle pain is due to detox or not. It is high greens diet which is very detoxifing but also high in oxalates-

Reading lots of good things about raw diets which is basically what she is doing.

Dr wahls also suggests meditation, exercise, sauna and clay for detox, spirulina/chlorella/kelp for detox and iodine, good relationships--in short you need to do the whole enchilada to reverse serious illness.

Her facebook page is also very active and a good way to follow what she is doing . She also posts great research articles that support her theories.

Peace everyone.

Giving it a go-not alot of other good options for me and I want to reverse this scary , progressive illness and get my life back.