Interview with Social Security

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kathryn, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Had my interview with SS today. The lady sounded very nice on the phone, but I suspect that is what she is paid to do. She gave me the delightful news that she is sending me another packet of forms to fill out. Just what I needed - more forms! I have torn out nearly all my hair trying to fill out the ones I already have. Just before she phoned, I received an envelope full of papers to fill out for my SAIF claim. They say that my claim is in deferrment pending more information, but at least I now have a claim number. I guess that is positive news. More physical therapy tomorrow, then first thing Friday we are off to the Idaho mountains for a week of doing nothing more strenuous than vegetating by the camp fire. I might take a stroll through the woods now and then, or maybe even drown a worm or two. What matters is that it will be a totally stress free week. I have been looking forward to this since the last time we were up there. Hope all of you are doing well, and I look forward to getting to know you when we return.
    Kathryn
  2. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Had my interview with SS today. The lady sounded very nice on the phone, but I suspect that is what she is paid to do. She gave me the delightful news that she is sending me another packet of forms to fill out. Just what I needed - more forms! I have torn out nearly all my hair trying to fill out the ones I already have. Just before she phoned, I received an envelope full of papers to fill out for my SAIF claim. They say that my claim is in deferrment pending more information, but at least I now have a claim number. I guess that is positive news. More physical therapy tomorrow, then first thing Friday we are off to the Idaho mountains for a week of doing nothing more strenuous than vegetating by the camp fire. I might take a stroll through the woods now and then, or maybe even drown a worm or two. What matters is that it will be a totally stress free week. I have been looking forward to this since the last time we were up there. Hope all of you are doing well, and I look forward to getting to know you when we return.
    Kathryn
  3. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

Have an absolutely wonderful time vegging for the week. When you get back and start to tackle all that paper work I have a few suggestions:
    1. social security web site now offers assistance online for their disability packets. If you go to their website click on disability and on that page you will see newly added items and that is where you will find it.
    2. here is a link that I found to be very helpful:
    http://www.westga.edu/~wmaples/ssdi_tips.html
    3. Be patient. This could be a long process. But I hope you are one of the lucky ones that are spared the bull----.
    Take Care and good luck and most importantly, HAVE FUN!!!
    Sandy
  4. Jackie F

Jackie F New Member

Have you been camping since ill?
    I had to make a few adjustment to my norm, since becoming ill.

I have learned to change my diet---came long with the illness-but has helped my camping experience too.

Remember to be prepared for any unexpected onset of pain. I like to be prepared for the worst--but expect the best.

That way, I don't even slightly stress over/whether I will have an event.

Wishing you Peace, Tranquility and loads of love! Nothing like love in the mountains!

Jackie F
  5. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Sandy,
    Thanks for the kind thoughts and especially the web sites. I had found the one for SS, but would never have thought to look for the other. I will check it out today.
    Kathryn
  6. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Hi Jackie,
    This is our annual trip to my family's camp site, although we were not able to make the trip last year. We have all the comforts of home, other than television, with the added benefit of pure mountain air. My cousin shares dinner prep with me, and we only do what we feel we are able to do. If the guys don't like it, they both know how to cook. For breakfast, everyone fends for themselves. I have learned to prepare for the worst even on a trip to town (40 miles). If the DEA ever stopped me, I would spend a loooooong time explaining. ;) It's funny, but even during a bad spell, I almost always start to feel better once we hit the Columbia Gorge heading east. I guess I just miss my family. I lost the aunt & uncle that I grew up with 3 years ago and the cousin, who is more like a brother than my brother is, will turn 70 in November. Even if I have a flare up, it doesn't seem to last as long up there. The main problem I have is an inability to remember what cards have been played. We sort of work around that by not playing pinochle any more. We now play Phase 10 and UNO, and the fights are always all in fun.
    Kathryn
  7. BluEyes

BluEyes New Member

OK --- this is a little off of your subject.... but you are the first person I have ever seen even MENTION Idaho on the boards I belong to (besides me, of course). Can I ask where in Idaho you are going ot go camping? I live just north of Salmon, and coincidentally am trying to cram one more camping trip up North before school starts!

As far as the prep's for camping, you seem well prepared. I bring anything and everything I think I might need, we have an overnight bag we call the "Medicine Cabinet". It is just me and my daughter, and we still camp in a tent. I need her assistance in and out of the tent... and tho she threatens to leave me in there if I don't behave (with a smile on her face), we seem to be able to work around everything. I cannot drive more than 200 miles at a time, sometimes less. Oh, and we avoid campgrounds and camp in the US Forest land. That way I can wear or do anything I want to! We go on "hikes" (lol - they are more like nature walks, and I use a walking stick); and go fishing, and just enjoy ourselves. Oh ya, and the one thing I never expected, but am thrilled to see.... my daughter reading for pleasure (or to combat the boredom when I have to rest). This is especially good news as she is dyslexic; and it is a struggle for her. When I found her reading MY book (it was the only one with us) I asked her how it was going. "Pretty good, sometimes I have to read a paragraph a couple of times, but I get it sooner or later." She is reading the trilogy of the lord of the rings now... and I am sooo proud of her.

ANYWAY ------ Sorry I got off on such a tangent... I was just curious where in Idaho you go, and waned to wish you luck with SS. I am trying to decide if I should go for a job at the local bank, or push for the Social Security Disability. So am very interested in how all that goes for you.

Thanks and Good luck!
    Well wishes for all!
    Blue
  8. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

9. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Hi Blu,
    My family has land north of Orofino, near Dworschak Reservoir. My husband & I know most of the "neighbors", so it is sort of a family reunion whenever we get up there. I grew up in Genesee & Lewiston, and spent a good portion of my "misguided youth" (my mother's terminology) with my horse on the Nez Perce reservation out of Lapwai. I learned to track and live off the land, and I can still drop what I aim at with one shot, which is fortunate because one kick from a 30.30 is all my body can handle. Some day I would like to take my husband up the old White Bird road. It is such a beautiful drive! In my opinion, the prettiest in the US. Probably the closest we will get to you is Elk City, if I feel up to the drive. I don't know if the goat trail between there & Salmon still exists, but I wouldn't want to try it, even if it does.
    Best to you,
    Kathryn
  10. Jackie F

Jackie F New Member

Another thought for you!

Ray used to get sick every time we got to within 50 miles of my family home. And he loves my family and is generally more anxious than I to be going.

Found out, for him, there is a mold that only starts growing about 50 miles from my family home.

So, maybe, just maybe, you might be getting out of a zone of danger to you! hee hee might be--never know!!

Have a great trip and enjoy all the nature provides!

Jackie F
  11. BluEyes

BluEyes New Member

We were there ----- I know the damn dam pretty well... As I remember we ended up going over that dam a couple of times trying to get back on the right highway!

Here's to safe trips and lots of laughs! (I am a true believer in laughter being one of the best medicines there is).

Well wishes for all,
    Blue