Intolerance to Smells

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GooGooGirl, Jun 18, 2003.

1. GooGooGirl

GooGooGirl New Member

Does anyone else have intolerance to smells such as smoke,
    perfume, paint, chemicals and just about everything else? It makes me physically ill to smell any strong odors. I was just wondering if this is another symptom of FMS.
  2. jka

jka New Member

i also have a hard time with loud noises and bright lights.my husband is always having a fit because i keep the house so dark.

kathy c
  3. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Nothing used to bother me, and now, for the past few years, I can't stand the smell of alot of things. I could no longer help my mother to the bathroom because the smell of urine, etc....gagged me. I also now get nausea when around certain scented candles. I also can't stand the smell of my hubby's preshave.

Marilyn :)
  4. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

Hi!
    Smells, sounds and tastes makes me very sick indeed. Have for years. Fluorescent lighting in stores, ugh! Most perfumes/ colognes, nasty. And some foods, yuck!
    I also have alot of skin sensitivities, I can't wear even expensive gold or Simply Whispers earrings. My fingernails were once thick and gorgeous, now brittle and twisted. Oh this disease surely reaks havoc and just seems to get worst and worst. Clothing, like bras, oh awful. Getting ready and going out in public is awful. I stay home most of the time as even noise from crowds and riding in the car make me ill. High- pitched noises are very agitating and it seems that my sense of smell, taste and hearing are keener than most. Been for years. I can remember being different ever since puberty. I wonder if at a young age we are already pre-destined to develope FMS?????? Thanks for being such good friends!!!!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 06/18/2003]
  5. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I can't stand the smell of anything. When I need
    the newspaper
  6. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I can't stand the smell of anything. When I need
    the newspaper I sneeze because I am allergic to
    the ink! Hairsprays, soaps, lotions, etc. Everything
    bothers me. Different aisles in different stores
    bother me, but I can smell the aisle halfway across
    the store! Rubber I can't take! You name it,
    I hate it!

I also keep everything very dark. I am very sensitive
    to light and the sun. I have always worn sunglasses
    when it's cloudy outside - otherwise, my eyes hurt.

Lynn
  7. BraidieBunch

BraidieBunch New Member

Had a WONDERFUL DISCUSSION WITH EX RE: subject this Am..Can't understand why I make the boys change their clothes and put clean ones on...Ones that I washed with Cheer free...Sez I'm OVER REACTING!!!
    OK...I feel better now...thank you!! Love Peace and Chicken grease!!! Braidie
  8. Jen F

Jen F New Member

My clothes are washed with scent free tide and unscented dryer sheet, or fine fabric wash from health food store.

can't wear most perfumes, maybe certain essential oils okay

my soaps are perfume free and I am moving to all perfume free hair products

can't stand it when Pine Sol is used to clean the hallway, smell too strong.

use a special cleaner in the bathroom, from the health food store, though it doesn't work as nicely as the chemical cleaners.

I use a special dish detergent from the HFS [Health Food store]

etc, etc,

Taking the bus can be diff for me if someone wearing strong perfume. Sometimes cabs no good either cause have just used cleaner on the vinyl...

My physio clinic smells like xray chemical developer, so I may have to go elsewhere, but so far am coping.

Actually, the smell hit me like a ton of bricks as I was going down the stairs approaching the physio department. I got to the front desk and asked what the chemical smell was, were they painting? They all looked at me like I was crazy, [they couldn't smell anything] until the radiologist said she had just opened a bottle of chemicals for her xray development.

Welcome to the canary club...

At least I don't have it as bad as some others. I have a friend who can smell when her neighbours down the street are running their dryer and she can hardly tolerate it...

I hope you dont have it that bad.

There is a movie I saw on TV about a woman who developed CFS. I taped it. let me get the title.

Okay, it's called "Safe" and is a 1995 drama.

The woman in the movie fortunately has the financial backing to go to a special place in New Mexico where she can be isolated from "smells"/toxins/chemicals - whatever you want to call the triggers.

I thought it was a great movie, simply because I was so happy to see this subject covered.

Jen F
  9. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Smells bother me so bad, I get the gag syndrome.
    Now, I think it is also bothering me emotionally, because if I smell perfume or someone smoking etc, I freak out and have to move or I will start gagging. It's no fun going anywhere anymore--it's almost like being agoraphobic for a different reason. Never heard of anyone having a fear of smells.
    Tania
  10. sofy

sofy New Member

Im 59 and in my mid 20's I developed a sensativity to smells. Had to give up my perfume and went to fragrance free everything. Put me in an elevator with a little old lady who had covered herself with powder and perfume and I will just about gag. I do not get sick but feel very uncomfortable and queasy. The same with smoke and the rest. When dating a new fellow I always say no after shave if you want a cuddle or to ride in the same car.
    I wont go into stores like Victoria Secret that have smells wafting out thir door to entice me. They repel me. Now food smells like garlic, fish, cabbage or other strong natural smells might not be the most pleasant but they do not bother me. If I try and use a product to eliminate them I will gag.
    Now when my doggie has her particular doggie smell when needing a bath I dont object cuz it smells like luv.
    An interesting thing is we are attracted to people by their body smells. There have been studies done about male female attraction and the part played by our own particular body scents. When you read in the novels about how one party indulges themselves in the lingering scent left on the linens by their departed love one it is true.

[This Message was Edited on 06/19/2003]
  11. nacl4y

nacl4y New Member

I developed a "chemical sensitivity" after about 5 years with CFS. And I find it my most difficult symptom to handle. It's hard to control the environment you're in.

Basically my smell-issues arise from almost anything with a smell. But most strongly from chemical cleaners, perfume/cologne, shampoo and soaps, clothing detergents and softners, gasoline/oil.

To combat this, no one in my family wears perfume or cologne any longer (except my brother who I don't see often and just doesn't "get" it). For cleaning, I discovered a "pink paste" that gives off a very faint odour - and works quite well, even diluted. The name escapes me. For clothing I use only non-scented products, obviously. (Bounce fabric softener in particular is VERY common for allergies and sensitivity - as is Snuggle fabric softner. )

For shampoo and soaps, I have yet to find ones that don't bother me. With that in mind, I am the first one into the shower/bathroom each morning to minimize the effects. I take VERY fast showers, using non-scented soaps - it's the shampoo that remains an issue for me. And obviously I don't use hair spray. If it's a special occasion and I need some, I do have a bottle of scent-fre (supposedly) spray, which I use very sparingly.

For gasoline - I go to a full-serve gas station and have the gas pumped for me. And my only remaining "gas" issue is with mowing the lawn. I don't do it - but I need to either leave the house or close all of the windows while it's being done.

The main problem for me is public places - constantly being cleaned by janitors with potent chemicals. The perfume spraying people in department stores do me in. Free perfume samples in magazines. Waiting rooms full of perfume wearing people. Etc.

I do use antihistamines to combat some of my issues - but in reality it is next to impossible to prevent entirely.

The result of my exposure ? Very dizzy, confusion, complete loss of concentration, and often a debilitating headache - possibly breathing issues depending on the odour. As I said, most days this is just one symptom that I find the hardens to deal with.