Intresting...blood donating

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by scottabir, May 30, 2003.

1. scottabir

scottabir New Member

I was watching the news the other day and they had a segment about donating blood. They said that (I forgot the company name, United way? ) the blood bank company is finding that more and more donated blood has some kind of foreign substance in it. They dont know what the substance is but they dont believe it to be a threat. I just thought this was interesting.

Abi
  2. Irwin

Irwin New Member

Back in 1997 when I was having symptoms but, not a full blown case of CFS, I asked the Red Cross if, feeling the way I felt, if it was alright to donate blood? They said yes, and for the next 2 years I donated until I became really ill in 1999. Too ill in fact, to leave the house.

I feel a bit guilty about maybe giving my disease to someone else but, I asked the blood bank and they said no problem. I've recently been called again and I told the person over the phone that I have CFS and she said she would take me off the possible blood doner list.

I really hope I didn't screw someone up.
  3. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

don't worry. You can't change the past and you were told it was okay.

I wounder what the foreign body is?

Thanks for the info Abi, Kim and Gary
  4. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

It would not be your fault, you were told otherwise by the Red Cross representatives. They have taken my son-in-law's blood for years, even though he lived in England in the 1980's (Mad cow disease epidemic). He knows now he can't give blood, but no one knew then and they took what they could get, just like they do now.

The way I see it is they get what they can and let the labs who do the testing worry about the end product. All I can say is they must have to throw out an awful lot of blood that doesn't meet the CDC standards. Hopefully, there were some parts they could use, so that your precious resources did not go unfulfilled. Please don't feel guilty or that you may have caused someone else harm - you only tried to do a good thing.

Someday the government will finally realize that what they allow to go into our water, into our food and into the air that we breath is bound to backfire in a serious way. A little thing like the donation of a quality blood sample may be just the trigger and the smoking gun will be in their hands!

Lane
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Or had a transfusion. Was always told I was too 'thin', maybe it was a good thing.

If you gave, they said it was alright, then the fault is not yours, you intentions were of the highest.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

I was having surgery and I wanted my own blood ready just in case it was needed. The blood bank wanted to charge my $40 to draw and store my blood. And if I didn't use it?...of course they would get to keep it; maybe I would get a $10 credit on my hospital bill.

Honestly,

Lane