Intro and questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LizKS, Oct 13, 2008.

1. LizKS

LizKS New Member

My name is Liz and I just joined this board.

I have had Fibro most of my life probably from birth. I had symtoms when I was in grade school and in high school and then they seemed to ease up over a 15 year period until 1986 when I started having pains in my chest and arms that my family thought was a heart attack. It took several Dr.s before I found one that knew about Fibro and he diagnosed me. I fought off and on with the pain until 1992 when I started having so much pain and agony that I couldn't work anymore. Since then it's been mostly down hill all the way.

I think I am at my very worst now. In June of 2007, I was dxd with Cancer and had surgery. Since then it's like falling down a hill day after day. I just can't get better.
    The main reason I joined today was to ask a question about something that has been bothering me for a long time and it's started to worsen also.

I've had this particular problem for several years. After I eat I get extremely hot in my abdomen and my back to the point of feeling like my skin is sunburned. It lasts for quite a while and even in the winter I have a fan blowing on me. Does anyone else have this problem? My Dr. can't figure it out, she's never heard of anything like it.

Another problem I've having now is being either freezing cold or burning up. I wake in the night just feeling like I've been sleeping outside in a snow storm. I am freezing and can't seem to get warm. I pile on sweats and put my hood up over my head and bury myself in blankets. I'm shivvering so bad my husband has to cover me up. Then a couple hours later I wake up dripping wet with sweat and heat. I frequently wake up cold and sweaty. This has just happened in the last few weeks. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks for any help you might have. I'm hurting so bad now that I feel like the death angel is stalking me.
  2. fallenstar1962

fallenstar1962 New Member

I too suffer with feeling very hot then it turns to freezing chills. When I first go to bed I'm freezing..within 5-10 minutes I seem to have a fever. I have no idea of the cause..looking forward to watching the reply's..good question.

So sorry to hear your in so much pain. Chin up girl..I hear the sun just might shine tomorrow!! All jokes aside I know it's hard to stay positive when one is hurting. That being said I wish you a good nights sleep with some pain relief tomorrow. Take care of you!!

soft hugs
  3. findmind

findmind New Member

Hi, Liz, and welcome to the friend's place! We looooove newbies!

I have to be intrusive here, please don't answer anything you don't feel comfy with, ok?

What kind of cancer did you have? did you have "sweats/chills" with it? I had them with uterine hyperplasia many years ago: they were my only symptom!

Have you been followed closely for your cancer; did surgery cure it, or should you be watchful for more problems from that?

I have had episodes of severe chills where I had to get under 4-5 layers of blankets, and I fall unconscious. I have FM and ME/CFIDS. I think it is because of the hypothalamus (you can google it to see all it governs; you'll be quite amazed).

Alternating sweats and chills can mean your body is fighting infection of some kind...have you discussed this possibility with your dr? I do not believe she has never heard of anything like this! Make her investigate further, maybe for a lymphoma-type illness, or recurrene of that cancer you had.

Have you ever been tested for Epstein Barr Virus? If not, might ask for that. It could explain that your body is fighting it and you will feel like you have the worst flu of your life.

Ok, 'nuf said, hope I'm not out of line, and also hope others will have more answers for you.

Again, welcome abunch!
  4. mujuer

mujuer New Member

We are glad to have you. It sounds like you are pretty darn miserable. Sounds like your thermastat is broke. I don't know what med's you take as anything can have side effects whether they say they do or don't. It just works a little different for us. The burning sounds like a fibro flare to me. I don't have to eat though to get that feeling. It could also be reflux. I had reflux before I had fibro and it just felt like my esophogus was burning and even up into my throat. Now, with fibro, I feel that burn you are talking about.

Having said that, have you had your Thyroid checked? That regulates your temp. I don't know if you are of menopausal age but that sounds like night sweats. I also had a reaction to taking Tramadol that did that also. I would jones for one just 3 hours after taking one and would sweat and then be cold. Had to stop taking that. So there is my two cents worth. Hope you find some relief soon. P