Intro from Lurker

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lurkernomore, Oct 29, 2007.

1. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I have no idea why I chose Lurkernomore as my screen name because when it is shortened to Lurker, it really sounds kind of creepy, so y'all can just call me Katie. No please, call me Katie, LOL!

I have been participating in the official message board off and on now for quite awhile. Without going back and checking I cannot be sure, but it's been a few years since I started reading there.

But I have wandered over here following a thread which did cause me some upset and was deleted. I am just looking for a place where the conversation could be a bit lighter, where it is okay if we do stray off topic a bit and I can make some friends.

As for myself, I am a fifty year old woman, married for 27 years to a really sweet man and together he and I are trying to adjust to the empty nest syndrome. Both sons moved out on the same day in March and share an apartment. So we sort of went from being a full house to an echoing house...cold turkey!

I have Fibro, Sjogren's, Diabetes and recurrent Shingles, but enough about health or lack thereof! I really like it here and hope to read up and get to know you all in a whole new way here. Thanks so much, if you have managed to read this far. (Warning, I am a bit of a rambler, but I'm a pretty nice little rambler.:)
  2. ksp56

ksp56 Member

This is a great board for friendship and support! I really think you will be happy in your 'new home'!

I had an empty nest for 2 months, then the youngest (20) moved back in a year ago. Just when my husband, of 27 (!) years, had begun to enjoy being on our own. It was really difficult when our son moved out. Hmm, seemed to get over that in 2 weeks! GRIN

You have your share of these DD's! When spirits are down, this is a good place to be! Lots of hugs, and caring!

Many great threads! Drop in a join in!

Again, welcome!

3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Many of us stay on this side of the board now. You'll probably recognize a few of the old timer names here.

Please feel free to 'stray off topic'...I for one don't talk about my illness much, it's kind of old news now.

Nancy B
  4. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Welcome to chitchat! I too, seek solace over here, as it is much lighter than the other board. I do post over there on occasion and there are many wonderful people on both boards. It just gets a little too controversial over on the medical board sometimes. That comes and goes, so I am hopeful that it will return to normal soon.

Hope you are having a pain free, happy day! Looking forward to chatting with you! Kim :)
  5. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I'm loving it here already! :) Whoa, you and your hubby had barely gotten past the "grieving" stage of empty nesting when your son came back, hadn't you? It is a really confusing stage of my life right now.

But enough about me and mine! I can't wait to know you ladies better! I am ready for some virtual fun!
  6. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Now that sounds really welcoming to this southern gal, sitting on the porch with a glass of iced tea. I am already there. As for hubby minding, well I think he'll be okay with it. I am mostly on here during the day (when he's working) or late at night (while he is sawing logs.)

It's odd, but I get the feeling not uncommon for a lot of us with fibro. I think hubby and I sort of live these two parallel lives where we sleep and live in whole other time zones, ha ha! It's always nice to see him when we do meet up though! LOL!
  7. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes, after I typed out my ailments in my intro, I had the same thought.Like "now why did I go into all that? We ALL have Fibro, CFIDS and the like." I reckon it was habit, but I do have other interests, which is why I am so tickled to be here! Great to meet you!
  8. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Oh yes, it feels much more light hearted here. I am all for that. Must be the aging thing because I am feeling much more thin-skinned of late, ha ha! I seriously do not hold up well to conflict anymore. So I am home! ;)
  9. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Actually, Lurker is good for Halloween! ha ha Glad to have you here. Light conversation is a great distraction from our health stuff.

I've been known to ramble on too sometimes, but hey, since I'm so fascinating, I figure that it's no big deal. Just kidding. :) Have a great Monday and welcome back!

10. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Ha ha, yep, Lurker is good for Halloween and so is Lurch!
    Yes, yes, you are fascinating! I think we ladies are all fascinating...AND fabulous!

I feel extremely fabulous right now, sitting here after 1 p.m. in my jammies. But at least I brushed my teeth and ran a comb through my hair so my bed-head is no longer an issue.

I am cold and am seriously entertaining the thought of sneaking back to bed for a bit. Now that is one part of being an empty nester that I can get on board with! Sneaking back to bed with no apologies or explanations to anybody. If hubby comes in and I am in bed he is fine with it. Ahhhh, life is good, LOL!
  11. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Elaine is right about everything she said. This is a very nice board and people are funny here. So many times I have come here in a blue mood and then read a post by elaine or rockgor or someone else and just laugh!! There are a lot of great people here and no controversy!!!

I came here for the same reason you did!!!

12. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Hi and welcome!

The comments made by the other members on this thread are very accurate. It is best to stay off of the one board on this site because of the occasional controversy, negativity, and mean spirited attitudes by a few members over there. The negativity spoils it for the rest of the posters.

The chit chat board is a stress free zone.

My MIL had shingles, I've heard that can be terribly painful. I've been trying to get information about getting a shingles immunization shot. They aren't cheap, but I think it is certainly worth the price!

13. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

Welcome! It gets a little intense on the other board from time to time. This is a great place to retreat to!

My son moved out last year, but I can't really tell so far. His laundry still shows up here and food still disappears at an alarming rate. And I seem to have inherited his dog.:)

Glad to see you here!
  14. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Gosh, I am just overwhelmed by all the warm welcomes here! Thank you so much! I don't think I've had this much fun reading messages to me since, well ever really! I love this place!
  15. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Okay, now you really must tell me the meaning behind your screen name. Do you have a twin that posts here too? Because that would be so cool if you do. Thanks for the welcome! Katie
  16. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter's divorce. But I am happy that you are getting to enjoy her company and watch your granddaughter grow.

Yes, I will be looking for you on the porch. This place is really neat. So glad y'all are here. (Uhhh, I am from Tn. too, so please excuse my y'all's and such.)
  17. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I like your middle name. It is my middle name and I have sometimes wish it had been my first name, isn't that wild?

So you are the single lady who got the kiss the other night and then ran away? Ahhh...I loved reading about that! It wasn't rude as you worried it was. It was something I always wanted to do when I was single...(and ahemmmm, young?)

So you go on your dates and then you come back here and report to us! LOL, we can all live vicariously through you lady!
  18. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member a minute...hold on here...I just answered a post by someone who signed it twinofdar. Was that you? Because you signed your post dar...somebody get me some Antivert here, stat! I am trying to think and I think the room is spinning! I'm a gettin' all shwimmy-headed and stuff!

But seriously now, do you have a twin that posts here too?:) Oh and thanks for the welcome!
  19. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I love your screen name. It really is a spirit lifter. (Not the scary, Halloween kind though, the good kind.) Now see, that is exactly the kind of stuff that would get me into trouble on the other board, LOL! Thanks for having me here. Katie
  20. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I'm sorry, I meant to comment on the shingles thing. Yes they are painful, quite painful. After seeing I had at least twenty cases documented on my chart, the GP I see now decided I should get the vaccine. You are right, it wasn't cheap.

I just wanted you to know, so that you can do research, unlike me, that it is a live virus and my experience with it was not Made me quite sick and I am not sure I would do it now if I'd known it was a live virus. Sorry, I don't want to be a downer. I just wanted you to know what I wish my GP (most likely former GP now) had told me.