Introducing Our Newest Forums Admin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ProHealth, Jan 30, 2015.

1. ProHealth

ProHealth Member

We would like to introduce ProHealth's newest forums admin: Alyssa-Admin. We are excited to have Alyssa help with starting new topics for discussion, answering questions, and much more. Please read below for more information.

Welcome to the forums Alyssa!

- ProHealth

My name is Alyssa and I have been kindly asked by ProHealth to be involved in getting the forums going a bit more – adding a bit of interesting stuff. (I have a few ideas, but new ideas are ALWAYS welcome! ) J

I am originally from Canada, moved to the west coast (Victoria, British Columbia), met my hubby online (15 years ago!), sold my catering company and several restaurants and found myself living in the middle of London, England (where hubby is from).

I have been an entrepreneur all of my life and I enjoy coming up with ideas for things…the latest was for an app for fibro and cfs…and guess what? ProHealth are getting their very own app, so shortly you will be seeing it! (My hubby is the IT guy….).

As well, I have co-authored a book for children who have parents/carers who have an invisible illness/chronic pain.

In regards to my health, I have a sneaking suspicion that I have probably had fibro since a teenager. Certainly a lot of neck pain, back pain, sensitivity, IBS…you know the list. I was diagnosed in 2008 (read, I went to my doctor with the list of symptoms, she said, ‘huh, well that explains it all then’.

Due to the recession (our business was property investment, so you can imagine it was not a fun time!), another car accident, stress, depression etc and finding I was basically unable to sit properly for more than a few minutes time due to my coccyx being so tender! So, I do a variety of things – from my bed. (In fact my next book is going to be called ‘Notes From Bed’. I have tried pretty much everything for pain and have decided to go off of all my meds other than my anti depressant and go the ProHealth way!

Once diagnosed with fibro, I delved into researching it as much as possible – and still do. There is so much out there! So many theories that are completely worlds apart…from it being a sleep disorder to a central nervous system disorder. Whatever it is, it is painful – in many ways.

When our app for FM/CFS/ME was finished, I set up a Facebook group which has over 8,000 members (not huge, but a nice amount), where I share information, tips, checking to see how people are doing…even asking what’s for dinner tonight! And in many cases, between that page and a fibro/cfs/disability group I set up on Facebook, a lot of times it is just giving people the support that they need – so that they don’t feel so alone. I enjoy doing research and finding links for people in order to help perhaps point them in at least the right direction.

I have also done voluntary work for the Fibromyalgia Association UK (phone support) and continue to volunteer for the LDN Research Trust (a lot of people with FM/CFS/ME are gaining relief from this medication….in fact people with cancer, AIDS/HIV, MS have gone into remission).

For me, I have made the decision to take my health (and my pain control) back into my own hands…because I realised I am never going to get any further with our current health system…other than probably screwing up my liver from all the meds. So. I have taken over my pain control to a degree…now, the next big thing is getting my sleep back on track. (Would you believe the only way you can get melatonin here is ordering it off of eBay? Or get an Rx from the doctor – providing that you are over 50.

One of the things I am very interested in introducing on the forum, once the ProHealth app has been launched, is to start doing small studies of different products from ProHealth and get others on the forum to also be involved…so we can have a thread all about what our experiences are, etc etc. And – with the app, we will all be tracking how the supplement is working, because the app will record all your data and you will be able to see for yourself if you are getting benefits – and what they are.

Although obviously not a doctor, with my research into FM/CFS/ME I believe I am quite knowledgeable…and if not…there is always Google!

I really look forward to joining what already seems to be a really lovely group of people….from reading the experiences you are sharing,, getting your thoughts and ideas on things (ie – exercise is a good one as so many people find that they struggle and are worse afterwards).

As it seems many of you are in North America, I might be sleeping when you guys are writing away! But I promise that every morning (or if a rough night…when I get up and get going) that I will be on the forum checking what has happened since yesterday.

Lastly, I just want to say that I am easy going, approachable, I try to be as helpful as I can and point people in the right direction if I don’t have an answer.

To sum me up in a few words, ‘I am a fun, easy going, rebel WITH a cause’.

- Alyssa-Admin
    RadioFM likes this.
  2. bct

bct Active Member

Welcome Alyssa! I look forward to having you here! Do you still live in London; I thought you were in Scotland. o_O

Best Wishes,
    Alyssa-Admin likes this.
  3. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Alyssa --

We've chatted on some of the other boards.

Good to have you here on PH!

Hugs, Diane
    Alyssa-Admin likes this.
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Welcome, Alyssa. Nice to see another British Columbian here. I'm from Metro Vancouver. My Mom is from London. My Dad from Northern England. Looking forward to your contributions to this group. :)
    Alyssa-Admin likes this.
  5. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

Welcome to the forum!

-Please take the time and review this thread: The Gift of Recovery Research (FM Thread)
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    Alyssa-Admin likes this.
  6. elana909

elana909 Member

Hi Alyssa could you give me your user name on facebook so I can add you thanks....Elaine
    Alyssa-Admin likes this.
  7. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Welcome to ProHealth, Alyssa!!

I look forward to having you here!!
    Alyssa-Admin likes this.
  8. Alyssa-Admin

Alyssa-Admin Active Member

Och aye, we are in the wilds of Central Scotland! :) So very glad not to be in London....
  9. Alyssa-Admin

Thank you! I look forward to being here, too! :)
  10. Alyssa-Admin

Hi Elaine, it is Alyssa Chickpea Reid on Facebook. Admittedly, I have had to take a bit of a break from Facebook and I am not on it as much as I used to be! :)
  11. Alyssa-Admin

I really do miss Victoria and the Island...A different kind of life there. Much more easy going...very community orientated as well.

It is my hope/dream that we move to The Netherlands...hubby and I are planning on going for a week in the spring to check some places out. I know that every place that you move to has pros and cons...but I think waking up and being able to go outside, where there is a profusion of flowers everywhere, clean, good food, happy and HEALTHY people, would be a good thing for us :)