Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ptense1978, May 30, 2008.

1. ptense1978

ptense1978 New Member

Hello, everyone. I just wanted to introduce myself, in order to get to know everyone better. I am 29, female, and a mother of two beautiful children. I suffer from CFS, severe Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Degenerative Disc Disease, and have a heart condition. I am awaiting Carpal Tunnel Release surgery next month. I was a full-time college student majoring in Psychology and had to "medically withdraw" for the remainder of the semester. I have had extreme fatigue for the past six months and have almost been "bed ridden", due to the CFS. I am wondering how everyone copes with CFS and am open to new ideas! Sincerely, Tam
  2. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Glad you found us!

I'm sorry to hear of your health issues and that you had to withdraw from school. I understand that all too well. I just graduated from nursing school (RN) May 17th, and there were MANY MANY times that I feared I would have to do the same.

Now that I am graduated and facing my state board exam, I am also trying to figure out which area of nursing I can work without killing myself.

I cope with my fatigue by allowing myself to take naps when I need to. This may not work for you, but I wanted to mention it. I also make things as easy on myself as possible.

I can no longer keep my house spotless, or stand and cook large meals and do dishes. I have had to adjust my life. Many times I must choose to do one activity instead of all three I want to do.

I take a multi-vitamin, B-complex, and an antioxidant formula and I have not been sick as often. I used to get strep-throat 4-6 times a year.

I hope some of this helps you! I was 26/27 when I was diagnosed with FM, so I can understand a little how you may feel.

Take care!
    Gentle Hugz,
  3. nina_and_me

nina_and_me New Member

Welcome to the board!

I hope that you will visit this board often. I found it to be an invaluable resource when I was in the early stages of FM. Even now, four years later, I still depend on this board for information and support.

I think you will find the people here to be compassionate, caring, and supportive.

I'm sorry that you're ill. I hope the carpal tunnel release helps. I had the surgery in 2001, and until I overused my hand typing all day in 2004, the surgery worked very well.

I cannot imagine coping with profound fatigue with two children, school, and a household to run. I find that long, warm baths, moist heating pads, and pain meds help with my pain. The fatigue is something I've been battling for a few years, and so far, I have not found much that helps with that, but I'm going to keep trying.

I hope that you find this board as helpful, supportive, and informative as I have.

4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Welcome to the board.

I am sure you will get some valuable information here.

It is sooo difficult to deal with this and hard to keep things in perspective.

I went to a therapist for a short time who mostly sees people with chronic fatigue. It helped so much. It was so helpful to hear it from a professional and she gave me some great tips. For coping and also medical advice.

What kind of doctor do you see? I think that is one of the frustrating things. Sometimes you have to keep looking for a doctor that is knowledeable about our DDs.

Again welcome.

Take care,