Intuitive eating?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BabiCati, Jun 27, 2006.

1. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

Has anyone ever tried this? You can eat whatever you want except you need to be hungry and stop when full. I never over eat (it makes my IBS and GERD worse) but I do eat when I am not hungry. I am an emotional eater. I started trying to do this since Saturday and it has worked so far. I read or walk when I get the emotional "hunger" pains.

The idea is that if you do not deprive yourself of the foods you love but make them available you will crave them less. I am PMSing and so far so good. The guilt over eating "fattening" foods goes away.

Anyone else done it?
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

All my life I've followed that. I don't deprive myself, but it only take s alittle of my comfort foods to satisfy me. I don't like to be full and its not healthy anyway, I eat until satisfied. More small meals and snacks more often.

I've always been slim too. Its the french way of eating. There is a great book that explains how to eat well, but eat good food and stay int he moment and enjoy your food and fully savour it, instead of mindless eating where you don't notice how much you over eat. "Why French Women Don't Get Fat". I highly recommend it. Oprah had an episode and interviewed the author, a Parisian lady. I'm jsut french Canadian, but everything in the book was always just second nature to me, the way I was raised.

jeanne
  3. BethM

BethM New Member

but I guess the trick is to be able to focus on knowing when you are full and when you are or are not hungry. That's a good trick.

Sometimes I know this, but other times the brain-body connection just isn't there. Maybe keeping this thread going can be inspirational for anyone attempting to eat intuitively!

Good post, thanks.

Peace,
    Beth.
  4. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

only eat when I am hungry, and stop when I am full....but it hasn't worked for me.