Inversion Tables On Sale At KMart

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My friends, as y'all know I can't stand for long periods with my lower back pain. I just bought an inversion table which lets me hang upside down or at a 45 degree angle. I'm hoping it will help stretch out my spine and take the pressure off of it.

The one they sell on QVC is more than $300. I just didn't want to spend that much. K-Mart has had them advertised for $99 but are always out of stock. Today, they were in the ad for $89 so I went to the store; I bought a Champ brand unit; brought it home, dragging it up the stairs (it's heavy); unpacked it and discovered there was no hardware in it.

I drove all the way back to the store and when they opened another one, it was also missing the hardware. They had another brand, Life Gear, so I bought it, brought it home, put it together, and just used it. I'll have to haul the other one back to the store for a refund. Now, I really need it. My back is killing me. This unit required quite a bit of assembly and I am "some assembly required" challenged.

I'll likely be in bed all day tomorrow from this mess with the inversion table. I think I used two days' worth of energy. Whine, whine whine :)

I just wanted to alert y'all to the brand which seems to be lacking parts. I am very happy with the second unit and am just about to go hang around (pun intended :)

Love, Mikie
  2. gramaT

gramaT New Member

Hi,
    I sure appreciate your posts, Mikie. I am going to try the board as I have a bad backache today.

My question is.... did you ever look up the site; Fibrofix.com?? I read it the other day and was excited with the healing Anne got with quai and other things. She just wants to share with everyone, not selling anything.

Blessings,
    Carolyn (in Illinois)
  3. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Mikie, sorry you had to go through all that to get a table! We love ours (we have a Hang-Ups brand), but I find the best way for me to use it is to get my balance so that I'm completely horizontal (you do that by the position of your hands over your head), then I gently rock back and forth.

For most of us it's too extreme to go even close to vertical, plus it puts a lot of pressure on the ankles. But gently rocking will help open up the disc spaces and rehydrate the discs. I seldom go more than 20 degrees beyond horizontal.

It can be really painful the first week or so that you start using a table but it gets better. It has also really helped me with vertigo.

Jan
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

At least if you're home alone.

I had a worker's compensation case couple decades ago. Routine case: fall at work, minor back injury.

The case got more interesting when the employee bought an inversion table and hung himself upside down. Unfortunately he could not get out of the thing.

So he wiggled around until he crashed into a glass-fronted cabinet and cut himself. Since the second injury stemmed from the first, we had to pay for treating two injuries.

Thus we see that humor and tragedy are intertwined as we travel down life's path.

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Glad there is some interest in this topic. I've waited months to get my table and am so excited with it.

Carolyn, if you've read the Guai posts here, you know that, after five years on the Guai, I consider myself reversed. I continue to take a maintenance dose.

Jan, I also found the rocking and moving side to side very relaxing. Just lying horizontally felt good. I expected to feel rotten today after all the physical exertion yesterday, but I feel great. Got up and did some things outside before breakfast. I think the table helps the lymphatic system and increases circulation. It's too early to tell if it's helping my back. This unit has padded ankle clamps which cup the ankes rather than the foam bars. I thought it would hurt my ankles but it doesn't.

Rockgor, this is funny, in a kinda sick way. My unit has bars which I can used to pull myself up from vertical. Also, one could use the floor and the unit legs. This guy must have been in a fit of panic and not thinking. Also, if the unit is not properly adjusted, it could cause one to be off balance and more likely to turn upside down. I'm glad this unit came with a tape demonstration. Too bad they didn't include assembly on the tape.

Love, Mikie

[This Message was Edited on 08/14/2006]
  6. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

I have several friends who have recommended those, but they have said that it is worth it to buy the expensive one, because the people who bought the cheaper ones haven't been as happy with them, don't use them as often, or haven't received a benefit.

So if you are going to buy one - buy the good one!
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

One would need a more expensive one unless some of the cheapies are shabbily made. This one is very rock solid and comfortable to use. It is guaranteed for a year against any failure and will accommodate up to 300 pounds.

Hanging upside down is hanging upside down regardless of the machine unless it hurts or is uncomfortable. Even the expensive one uses the foam bars which do not appear to be as comfortable as these padded ankle braces. A lot of people buy equipment and rarely use it. They find all kinds of reasons not to use what they have bought.

I'm happy with my unit and will be for at least another year for less than 1/3 of what the expensive ones cost. In some cases, I believe you get what you pay for and it's wise to spend more money. In my case, it was get this unit or do without. I'd rather spend less, have my unit, and be happy. I'm glad for those who can afford the expensive units and use them.

Love, Mikie
  8. livin4him

livin4him New Member

I actually bought one for less than $100. from Academy Sports store and it worked fine. At first, I thought some of the hardware was missing, then realized that the instructions were written wrong and the hardware was already installed.

But, my problem was that my gallbladder really started acting up about the time I started using this. It got so bad, my dr. wanted to remove it. But, I went the natural road with enzymes and quit using the inversion table. I actually returned it thinking it was the cause. My gallbladder got better for a time.

Could this have been the cause for my gallbladder problems?
    I did not have stones, just the nausea. It was found to not be ejecting properly.

Thanks to anyone who replys.
  9. pawprints

pawprints New Member

Please keep us posted. I have always wanted to try one...after seeing them on t.v. but was not sure if they would hurt or help my condition.

I did try a bouncer and just got too dizzy from it, so the inversion table may cause the same problems for me.

Have fun and hope your back starts to feel better.

Pawprints
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Wow, I have no idea whether this could cause gallbladder problems. They run in our family, so if I start having them, I will wonder whether this table is to blame. I'm glad you got better without the surgery.

I wondered whether I would get dizzy too but I'm not prone to it. I actually feel energized when I get off of it. Today, when I got completely upside down and hung, my spine relaxed and stretched out and cracked. It felt great.

I have a rebounder but my doc told me not to use it because of the OA in my knees. I had the Synvisc injections and they have made my knees like new. I am afraid of undoing the good they have done. I can jump and run in the pool because the water takes the stress off the knees. I am going to get back to working out in the pool. I grew up jumping on big trampolines and I miss my little mini tramp; it was so much fun.

I don't know whether these inversion tables would make someone dizzy or not. The instructional tape said not to come straight up after being inverted because it could cause BP to drop. We are prone to that. I like to rest and rock horizontally before getting off the table.

I'll keep y'all updated. So far (2 days), I love it.

Love, Mikie

11. msmac

msmac New Member

i am currently working doing medical transcription from home in a zero gravity chair. If you havent't checked these out, google it and see. It really relieves the pain on my degenerating spine. Thanks for the note on the inversion table, been looking for one I could afford!
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for the tip. I check on it.

Love, Mikie