investigating fibro & insurance plans

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ephemera, Sep 26, 2002.

1. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Hello. I'm considering changing my health insurance plan as of 1/2003. I'm reviewing a new plan & their literature says they do not factor in pre-existing conditions in regard to acceptance. This is not an HMO (thanks!), which I had 2 years ago.

Can anyone tell me about their experiences investigating an insurance company to see if the company recognizes fibro as an illness. Do you know of any websites which publish this information? If I call as a potential customer I doubt I would get much of an answer.

I'm concerned about a company possibly not paying for my expenses because of some bean counter's neanderthal idea that this pain is all in my head. Has anybody had any insurance experiences they can share? Good or bad. I am not covered by any other plan & this is my expense as I'm self-employed, so it's gotta be good. Thank you for any ideas!

best thoughts to all
  2. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Hello. I'm considering changing my health insurance plan as of 1/2003. I'm reviewing a new plan & their literature says they do not factor in pre-existing conditions in regard to acceptance. This is not an HMO (thanks!), which I had 2 years ago.

Can anyone tell me about their experiences investigating an insurance company to see if the company recognizes fibro as an illness. Do you know of any websites which publish this information? If I call as a potential customer I doubt I would get much of an answer.

I'm concerned about a company possibly not paying for my expenses because of some bean counter's neanderthal idea that this pain is all in my head. Has anybody had any insurance experiences they can share? Good or bad. I am not covered by any other plan & this is my expense as I'm self-employed, so it's gotta be good. Thank you for any ideas!

best thoughts to all
  3. majic

majic New Member

insurance company if they cover fibro. then watch how fast they can run. due to my insurance going in to liquaidation i'm with out coverage. called several insurance and once fibro is mention. i'm told that they could not help. watch out for the pre existing claim. if you have taken a drug for muscles in the past they can deny you. the insurance company can go back to 5 years of past medical problems. good luck in your search. if you do have an insurance company that says they will cover you with fibro. please post it as i'm still looking for coverage. thanks majic
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Some states, including mine, allow "groups of one." Group insurance cannot use pre-existing conditions as cause to deny insurance nor as cause to refuse to pay. It's called guaranteed issue. If you joing the Chamber of Commerce, you can usually get their group insurance as guaranteed issue. All other types are underwritten and no one but the underwriter on that application can tell you whether it will be accepted. If accepted, the company can insure you except for pre-existing conditions which would be specified on the policy. Insurance companies issue guides to their agents, who are field underwriters, which specify which conditions automatically make you ineligible for coverage.

You need to find out whether what you are seeking is a guaranteed-issue plan. If so, you needn't worry.

Love, Mikie (I'm an insurance agent presently not working)
  5. dlizard

dlizard New Member

simply don't cover us. I have found it in print that the State of South Carolina's ppo health insurance plan does not ** cover fibromyalgia or cfids.... discriminatory.... you betcha!!!! what happened to that law guys????????
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Whether or not a plan covers CFS/FMS, it cannot deny treatment for fatigue and pain. I would be seriously into making sure that situation is changed. CFS and FMS are recognized illnesses. Sounds as though a lawsuit for failure to treat would be just the thing.

Love, Mikie