Investigative site in Atlanta posts article on the CDC and Reeves (Thurs)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by QuayMan, Oct 31, 2009.

1. QuayMan

QuayMan Member

This went out on Co-Cure on Thursday but I don't think got featured as much as it could have because of the CFSAC meeting that day:

An investigative journalism site in Atlanta just posted the following article about the CDC and Reeves.

Advocates: Where was CDC for milestone in chronic fatigue syndrome research?

October 28, 2009 --

Looks like the CDC's chronic fatigue syndrome research group, led by Dr. William C. Reeves, may have some 'splaining to do today in Washington. A possible research breakthrough -- the discovery of a correlation between CFS and a retrovirus related to the AIDS virus -- has fired up the medical community in recent weeks. "This is going to create an avalanche of subsequent studies," Dr. William Schaffner, an infectious disease expert at Vanderbilt University, told the New York Times this month. But will the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention play a role in that research? It hasn't so far.

Please feel free to re-post as is. Constructive comments are encouraged and can be made at the site.
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

it is a good article and most of the comments below it are also good

I think it would be good if people would respond and thank them for writing this......might help encourage more of the same
  3. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

This looks like an underground newspaper, as we call it in the industry. There is one thing missing from a journalistic standpoint, a comment or a "no comment" from Reeves. The writer should have tried to get a response from him and if he declined, explained in the article that an attempt to get a response was made.

But, here is the next step folks.... Send this article to other news media. Try to get the Atlanta Journal, USA Today and others to do a story. Once one news media does a story, that gives some validity to the issue to other news media. And offer to give more information to the one you send it to so they can have a different angle.

A media campaign is where we will see much more results than just petitions filed in a drawer.

4. QuayMan

QuayMan Member

Good points, Tina.

I hope people can make them happen.

The petition was partly to raise awareness on the issue.

I haven't always been a fan of a petitions per se but the empiric/Reeves definition was barely being talked about (apart from briefly when the 2007 prevalence figures came out).

But media articles are good.

And they create a pressure in themselves for others to act e.g. politicians, institute leaders, etc.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/31/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/31/2009]
  5. hensue

hensue New Member

I am so glad you found it!

Like I said give me the right info read my post about Katheleen Sebelius and tell me what you think?

I am on it today and when I get on my band wagon I fight hard.

I want to be able to send correct info and precise to her and Veterans groups anybody and everbody

Ok Obama got elected like this I think twitter and facebook bogs you name it on here are powerful weapons.
    What do you think?
  6. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

hensue, usually handwritten letters have more of an impact. A handwritten letter is formal and "leaves a paper trail." Anytime someone considers taking legal action, they have to send their request or notice by mail first. It puts the person on the spot in saying, "This is serious. You will be held accountable."

But as you said, Obama got elected by the power of the Internet. So any and all together helps.