Involuntary Body Movements

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Leanna44, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Leanna44

Leanna44 New Member

Hello All,

In the last several months I have been experiencing involuntary body movements. I could be laying on the couch and all of the sudden my arms, legs, or hips jerk.

Is this a symptom of FM? It drives me crazy! It does not frighten me like it initially did but it defeniately interupts my sleep and resting periods throughout the day.

Any input would be appreciated.

2. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I believe these body movements, as you described, are typical of FMS. The same thing happens to me and has for several years. The only time they eased up was when I was doing intensive stretch & physio-type exercises every day. This leads me to believe they're muscular in nature.
    God bless, Anne Theresa
  3. 3gs

3gs New Member

I have these systems for along time..Totally FM related. None of the drugs for restless leg or anything else worked.I often say I'm going to put one of those walk meters on and see how far I travel especially at nite!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. kking0412

kking0412 New Member

its a pain in the everywhere. I am also on nerve blockers and muscle relaxers and it MAY minimize them but but does not stop it. blargh.
  5. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

I go through exactly the same thing. At first it scared me, thinking maybe I had MS. When I went to my wonderful pain doc, he said not to worry that he was going to up the Lyrica and that would take care of it. It has. I still have some spasms but not nearly as bad. Later we tried to come down on the Lyrica and it was awful. My husband came with me to the next doc appt. and told him that within 5 minutes of falling asleep I looked like I was having a seizure. Back up to 450 mg I went, and will continue to stay. Good luck.

6. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

The term for these movements is myoclonus.

That is the reason many are given Klonapin, as it will greatly diminish them.

I take 1 mg and it has greatly decreased the incidence of them.
  7. Salix

Salix New Member

I've had these but usually just as I've fallen asleep. Occasionally they've awoken me from sleep too. Two things really set mine off, sultanas/raisins and supplements with a sulphate component. Glutathone did too until I found a form that claims to bypass the gut. Not saying these things set yours off, but perhaps something else is? Anyway without these it's rare I have this issue.
  8. Leanna44

Leanna44 New Member

Thanks for all your replies. At least now I know that I am not crazy.

I am on lyrica 75 am and pm but so far it has not helped these movements. I shall talk to my doctor about it.

Gentle hugs to all!

9. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

Jenn - how long have you been on that much Lyrica, and how long did it take you to get to that level?

I hope you don't mind my asking.

Thanks, Lillie
  10. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Like right before you fall asleep, your entire body does a quick jump kind of thing. I've been getting that since I was about fifteen or sixteen years old. I heard it is a part of Fibro and also Lyme.

And I get muscle flutters all over my body daily.
  11. steach

steach Member

I used to get the "jerky" movements especially when I'd lie down to go to sleep. I had restless leg syndrom that was extremely bothersome. My doc prescribed Klonopin and it works wonders.

Also, taking the Klonopin at bedtime allows one to get into a deeper level of sleep so that when you wake-up, you have actually had restfull sleep and are not as fatigued throughout the day.