Involuntary Muscle Jerks?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kytriplets, Mar 23, 2006.

1. kytriplets

kytriplets New Member

The last three days I've had frequent muscle jerks as I rest or sleep. It is almost like I've had electricity zap through my body and my leg will jerk or my back or my neck. It is involunatry and big movements. While I'm awake the muscle jerks are smaller and mainly involve my legs.

Is this typical with FM?
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

kytriplets:
    I had the exact same thing and now see a neurologist regularly and am on medication. He will not directly link it to FM, though.

N.F.
  3. achy

achy New Member

She said many ppl think they only happen as your falling asleep, but they can happen any time.

She said several meds list them as a side effect, esp. antidepressants and pain meds. In my case, she thinks they are being caused by the Elavil I take so I stopped taking it this week.

Check the web for myoclonic jerks and check your meds side effects.

She says they are harmless...unless you have one that is so severe it throws your back out - like I did. I also hate tossing my coffee out of the mug and all over me and the couch when my arm jerks!!

hope this info helps
    achy
  4. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

hey
    I have these when I'm in bed and also when I'm sitting and I'm not on any meds I went that route years ago. and have give up all meds but still take my vitamins and just started only eating fresh foods nothing package.
    it means going to the store more often so we have fresh but I think it may be worth it .Sixtyslady
  5. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

Hey there!~
    How much sodium do you take in?
    I was taking in far more than my far share, but noticed a huge difference when i adjusted my diet. I went organic and cut out the canned and pre processed foods.

Just food for thought ; )
    TM~

6. Cakeart

Cakeart New Member

I just recently started having similar electrical jerks in my legs, most often when I am sleeping and it wakes me up, or when I'm resting. I thought perhaps I was getting restless leg syndrome, but perhaps it is something else.

The only med I am on for fm is flexeril as I get excruciating stomach pain on any pain meds, even the more mild ones.

Hope someone knows what this is.

softly hugging,
    cakeart
  7. tammy21

tammy21 New Member

I also have the same problem. during the day it happens when I am resting, but not as much as at night. I found an article which might be of some use.

What is myoclonus?

Myoclonus describes a symptom and generally is not a diagnosis of a disease. It refers to sudden, involuntary jerking of a muscle or group of muscles. Myoclonic twitches or jerks usually are caused by sudden muscle contractions, called positive myoclonus, or by muscle relaxation, called negative myoclonus. Myoclonic jerks may occur alone or in sequence, in a pattern or without pattern. They may occur infrequently or many times each minute. Myoclonus sometimes occurs in response to an external event or when a person attempts to make a movement. The twitching cannot be controlled by the person experiencing it.

In its simplest form, myoclonus consists of a muscle twitch followed by relaxation. A hiccup is an example of this type of myoclonus. Other familiar examples of myoclonus are the jerks or "sleep starts" that some people experience while drifting off to sleep. These simple forms of myoclonus occur in normal, healthy persons and cause no difficulties. When more widespread, myoclonus may involve persistent, shock-like contractions in a group of muscles. In some cases, myoclonus begins in one region of the body and spreads to muscles in other areas. More severe cases of myoclonus can distort movement and severely limit a person's ability to eat, talk, or walk. These types of myoclonus may indicate an underlying disorder in the brain or nerves.

What are the causes of myoclonus?

Myoclonus may develop in response to infection, head or spinal cord injury, stroke, brain tumors, kidney or liver failure, lipid storage disease, chemical or drug poisoning, or other disorders. Prolonged oxygen deprivation to the brain, called hypoxia, may result in posthypoxic myoclonus. Myoclonus can occur by itself, but most often it is one of several symptoms associated with a wide variety of nervous system disorders. For example, myoclonic jerking may develop in patients with multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, or Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Myoclonic jerks commonly occur in persons with epilepsy, a disorder in which the electrical activity in the brain becomes disordered leading to seizures.

8. kriket

kriket New Member

I get these too. Mostly at night. They are nearly like little electrcal bzbzbbzbzes, they do it for a few seconds and then quit, then do it again. Seems like they do this on and off a few times then quit. I get them different places. Feet, legs, neck, arms, etc.

Kriket
  9. mamaeagle0103

mamaeagle0103 New Member

This is one of my more common and persistent problems. My son who is 5 asks me why I "shake". When I go to take a nap on the couch, my jerking causes me to constantly bump him and screw up his video game. It is kind of funny because he wants to sit with me so bad, yet I keep bumping him with my jerking and mess up his game. I tend to just jerk all over. When I am typing my fingers will jerk and hit the wrong keys, just all kinds of wierd stuff!! The only ones that ever pose a problem are the ones that are so strong that I actually injure myself. I just try to laugh it off. What else can I do!?!
  10. lierikajerk

lierikajerk New Member

This is the latest label my wife has given me and we try to laugh it off but its not funny. I never had this before until I took Lyrica. Its now crippling my life and activities and its not going away! Does anyone else have this as a side effect? I'm trying to determine if this is Parkinsons or secondary parkinsons (from the drug) I wish I never tried this drug for what they diagnosed as Fibromyalgia!
  11. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

I also have my eyelids twitch. we are a strange group, good thing for this board. no one else would beieve all of these symtoms that we have.my finger nails have started to curve downward just this last year .I read that is another symtom. plus when I was little I used to pronounce my words backwards. we lived on a farm and instead of corn crib,I would say crib corn. Funny if you look back how many things were different. have a good one. sixtyslady
  12. daylight

daylight New Member

I've had shaking and muscle twitching for years . Lately however it's become so bad that I'm now taking xanax. It helps alittle ,just mainly calms me down a little . I have however Parkensons disease in my family but personally don't have that. I'm going to see a "nero" doc soon for test.
    Sometimes it is stress related. I do know if it is related to the FM but my doctor thinks maybe your center nerves system might be a link to FM. But theres no proof yet to that theary.
  13. daylight

daylight New Member

I've had shaking and muscle twitching for years . Lately however it's become so bad that I'm now taking xanax. It helps alittle ,just mainly calms me down a little . I have however Parkensons disease in my family but personally don't have that. I'm going to see a "nero" doc soon for test.
    Sometimes it is stress related. I do know if it is related to the FM but my doctor thinks maybe your center nerves system might be a link to FM. But theres no proof yet to that theary.
  14. Landy

Landy New Member

I had muscle jerks in 2003 the year to which I spent most
    of it in bed. I haven't had them since. Your description
    makes sense to me especially the lack of circulation or
    oxygen to the brain. I've done much better since using
    a sauna which promotes circulation. Thank you. Enjoy
    your knowledge.
  15. caperkat

caperkat New Member

I couldn't help but chuckle when I read about spilling the coffee when I muscle jerk occurred. Mine usually happen when I lay down and start to doze (thank you AmbienCR for the help w/sleep!) One of my docs also called it a myoclonic jerk, and didn't seem to think it was serious. The rheumy always has a puzzled look on his face when I mention symptoms typical and known to us, but apparently not to the 'experts'. The muscle jerk (I'm not referring to the Dr. here) and the electrical zap sensation can sure be uncomfortable.

kat
  16. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

I agree CaperKat... That "glazed-over-look" from the Dr's is a sure indication they need to be on this site far more than they are!!!

TM~