Iodine and energy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by ljimbo42, Mar 19, 2013.

1. ljimbo42

ljimbo42 Member

I started taking Iodine tablets in the form of kelp several days ago and noticed a VERY noticable increase in energy and clarity of thinking.

I took 1 the first day, two the second etc. and worked my way up to 4 a day= (900mcg). They are 225mcg each, which is 1 and a half times the rda. This morning I only took 2 and felt dramatically more tired than I have in the last few days.

So I took another 2 tablets, about half an hour ago and 20 minutes later I felt my energy coming back up and my brain fog clearing. I have read that iodine is great for energy but I'm just getting around to trying it.

The Japanese average a daily intake of 12-13mg a day and have for centuries! That's a least 80 times the rda. It's important to remember that the recommended daily allowances (RDA), where not created for good health, but to prevent disease.

So although a daily intake of 150mcg of iodine will prevent goiter, it will not create optimum health. Has anyone else experienced a noticeable increase in energy with iodine supplementation?
    [This Message was Edited on 03/19/2013]
  2. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

to "feel" a good shift....I've been taking Iosol Iodine for
    several yrs and each drop is 1830mcg or 1.83mg and most
    days I take 4-5 drops....

Iodine Deficiency is HUGE out there and I've brought this
    up over the yrs here and back in the old days, I would get
    attacked with such "foolish talk"...

Do a search on iodine deficiency, it's out there....

If you think the kelp is good enough that's fine, but a friend
    took kelp for yrs and now she takes I think it's Iodoral. Personally I like my Iosol drops in water...[This Message was Edited on 03/19/2013]
  3. jaminhealth

but there was a time not too long ago when I wasn't taking my iodine and i had beast pain and tenderness and that's scarey, so I mentioned it to my gf and she said "are you taking your iodine?" and I had been off it for a while...Why? I don't know...so now I don't miss my daily dose....

The RDA and FDA are so behind the 8ball on so much in our country and our health...makes me shiver....

Thanks goodness for the net and health blogs...
  4. mbofov

mbofov Member

Like Jam, I've been taking a form of iodine for several years. I also take Naturethroid or Westhroid, I always forget which it is, which is the equivalent of Armour thyroid.

I haven't noticed a boost in energy from the iodine but take it anyways because I know how important it is for general health and thyroid in particular. I've take over 900 mcg. for several years. Women should know that iodine is also crucial for breast health and it has been reported that it can help prevent breast cancer. Bread products used to have iodine in them, but I think it was in the 1980's that iodine in baked goods was replaced by bromine, which actually competes with iodine for absorption and can cause iodine deficiency. I've read that the meteoric rise in breast cancer has been fueled at least in part by iodine deficiency related to bromines.

Anyhow, it certainly makes sense if you were deficient in iodine, that it would boost your energy.

I did notice an increase in energy when I first started taking a thyroid supplement many years ago, although my biggest energy increases have been due to folate (metafolin), potassium and p-5-p form of B6, in addition to B12.

Mary
  5. jaminhealth

per day? That's really low..one drop of my Iosol is 1830mcg or 1.83mg...so daily I take about 8-10mg.

I think my friends who take Iodoral take like 12mg per day...I'll have to check that...
    [This Message was Edited on 03/20/2013]
  6. ljimbo42

ljimbo42 Member

The increase in energy I am experiencing tells me I have probably been deficient in iodine for years. I get the rda from my multi and at least the rda or more from iodized salt, but that wasn't enough.

I'm going to slowly work my way up to a dose that makes me feel best. What's really tragic about the recommended daily allowance is that many people think that is all we need. Which couldn't be further from the truth regarding most vitamins and minerals.

I'm glad to hear you guys are taking care of your health with the Iodine, it is so important for good health, even more so for women!

Take care---Jim
  7. jaminhealth

it is tragic....and not a week goes by that I don't get
    a newsletter from Dr. Brownstein on this deficiency...

And the poor souls who are not "in the know"..not on
    computers etc....continue to suffer with these deficiencies. jam
  8. ljimbo42

ljimbo42 Member

I was just reading that iodine makes up 65% of the molecular weight of T4 and 59% of the molecular weight of T3. Without enough of these thyroid hormones the thyroid can't function properly.

Where iodine makes up over 50% of each of these hormones, it makes sense that a less than optimal level of iodine would create some degree of thyroid dysfunction.

Something else to possibly consider is that iodine absorption is most likely reduced in those of us with irritable bowel syndrome.

All the best---Jim

9. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

I use to take a Kelp supplement in the hope it would help my thyroid but found it caused insomnia and made my fingers swell so I had to stopped taking Kelp. It did nothing to help improve my thyroid blood test results and it didn't make any difference to how I felt.

Many people with CFS/ME simply can't take much in the way of the supplements let along the huge doses often being pushed by the those who don't suffer with this dreadful illness.
  10. jaminhealth

Good info for all. jam
  11. jaminhealth

Oh yes, MOST don't realize the damage from fluoridated water to our body, organs, joints, etc. etc. etc....
  12. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I've been thinking about iodine lately because I take an iodine supplement in the form of drops called Iodex, and I wonder if I might be taking too much.

Japanese people get their large amounts of iodine from food sources. Now it is becoming clear that it IS possible to overdose on iodine if you are taking it in supplement form.

Although it has been tremendously helpful to me, I am noticing that after I take my usual six drops a day it makes my nerve pain feel worse. Could these things be related?? Am I taking too much iodine or is the iodine killing off some tick-borne infection?? It is puzzling. The bottle says five drops = 200 mcg.
  13. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

The safe upper limit for iodine is 1,100 mcg for adults so you should be well within the safe limits taking 200 mcg per day. The recommended daily amount is 150 mcg.
  14. jaminhealth

Fore, that is a very low dose...I take Iosol and 1 drop is 1,830mcg or 1.8mg and I usually take 4-5 drops per day so I'm getting just under 10mg per day and have no reactions from this amount, seems good for my body. Some days I take 3 drops, but I KNOW when I've not taken it and that hasn't happened for a while now, my breasts will get tender and painful. I realize we have diff issues, and this may be a die off for you.

I don't know Iodex but will look it up. Iosol is iodine/iodide combo.
  15. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Thanks, you guys!
    It turns out that some people who have thyroid issues are super-sensitive to iodine.
    Mary Shoman wrote about her experience with it.

I am relieved to know that I'm not taking that much. I think I'm probably close to the correct dose for me. I might need five drops instead of six per day. I take Kelp also, but not a large amount.
  16. jaminhealth

If the Japanese get 12-13mg of Iodine per day with all their foods, the 200mcg is less than 1/4mg.

The RDA in the U.S. is so conservative, just look at what they have been RDAing with Vit D for too many years and how deficient so many are.
  17. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

I've been so ill lately I've had to go to hospital for various reasons. Yesterday they gave me an iodine infusion, today I feel like a new person with energy to do things. That difference is staggering. It'll be interesting to see how I fair in the days ahead.
  18. jaminhealth

Sorry to hear you have been so sick, LC...an iodine infusion, never heard that one, but amazing how good you are feeling....must need that Iodine, huh. There is so much talk out there in the alternative world about iodine deficiency. Keep us posted on how things go. jam

PS: Do you know why they gave you this infusion, was it thyroid related?
  19. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I'm happy to read that you're feeling better after a trip to the hospital. Interesting. Keep us informed.
  20. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

I had a CT scan, they used an iodine mix infusion as contrast material.
    I need treatment for Leukemia and they were looking for internal clusters.
    It was nice to have a boost of energy for a couple of days as a side effect of the iodine but alas the underlying Leukemia now needs treating.