Iodine and Fibromyalgia esp. Mary (mbofov)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by IanH, Jul 6, 2014.

1. IanH

IanH Active Member

In the article by Dr. flechas on Oxytocin

also on the PH frontpage.

Also here http://www.alternative-therapies.com/openaccess/ATHM_19-4_Flechas.pdf

He also discusses the importance of iodine in FM.

I suspect that what is happening with both oxytocin and iodine therapy is that the micro-circulation is improved and the A-V shunting which is known to be a correlate of pain/neuropathy in FM is being reduced so improving the micro-circulation, in turn this would reduce neuropathic pain, muscle fatigue and muscle cramping. Over time this could also influence energy levels via decreased muscle fatigue.

I also suspect that some of the immune system pathology in FM is caused by the very same A-V shunting and lowered micro-circulation because this affect on micro-circulation will cause constant "minor" damage in the peripheral tissues provoking an immune response. In addition the removal of toxins from muscle tissue and other tissues would be impaired. Obviously this can't be the full story because Treg production is affected in FM as it is in ME/CFS and changes to micro-circulation does not explain the effect of Treg production.

However I see a recent article showing how Bcells are a major influence on Treg production by the Thymus. The thymus is a gland which is markedly affected by reduction in micro-circulation, similarly to the way breast tissue is affected. In this case the thymus may not be getting the required delivery of Bcells and so inturn the output of Tregs is reduced. Oxytocin is known to improve glandular micro-circulation not only to the mammary glands but to all glandular tissue including lymphatics.

Very interesting indeed.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    fight4acure likes this.
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Ian - this is very interesting. (FWIW, I don't have FM or any pain associated with CFS, "just" crashing, post-exertional "malaise" and weak immune system, and hypothyroid, a few other things.)

I have been taking iodine for quite awhile - I've read how important it is, and not just for the thyroid. I've read where iodine can help prevent breast cancer.

What is A-V shunting?

It does seem like FM patients and doctors should be giving oxytocin a try for pain - I certainly would if it were an issue for me -

Mary
  3. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

I don't have speakers but just read a long commentary on oxytocin and pain by Dr. Ray Salheilan (sp) and there is no supp but a drug:

Oxytocin is sold as nasal spray (Syntocinon).

I may mention it to my integrative MD when I see her in a couple months, but others can check this out...sounds a lot better than a hoard of pain meds. But I don't know enough to speak more. jam
  4. jaminhealth

Here is another good link on the Oxytocin and DHEA levels being very low in FM people....Thankfully my integrative MD has kept on top of my DHEA for 15 yrs or so.

www.newswithviews.com/Howenstine/james186.htm

Jan 5, 2011 ... Dr. Jorge Flechas has done considerable research with Oxytocin. Twenty years
    ago he became aware that there were at least 20,000,000 ...
  5. jaminhealth

Listening to coast to coast last night and hearing Dr. Mark Starr on HypoT epidemic in our world...he talked about everything, the need for Iodine, the needless need for fluoride and how much more important desciccated hormone thyroid is needed....how fluoride is poisoning our thyroids......grrrrrrr

I never heard this before and Armour has been around for 100 yrs, he was saying many conventional MD's can lose their license if they "attempt" to work with armour for their patients....the medical schools have surely done a job on these synthetics.....this is only one reason I will see only integrative MD's....anything but conventional MD's...the current generation anyway....the older ones used only armour etc.
  6. IanH

IanH Active Member

Remember that more than 70% of iodine is outside of the thyroid. It is particularly important for vascular and epithelial function. In particular, and in relation to inflammation, iodide combines with the DHA and EPA to enable the inflammatory function of these omega FAs. Iodine is critical to thymus function, particularly in relation to the production of Tregs and in turn the regulation of immune response. In this way it may be vital to the modulation of immune response in ME/CFS and FM.

The recommended daily allowance is probably well below the true requirements.
  7. IanH

IanH Active Member

Sorry missed your question about AV shunting.

AV shunting is a process where the arteriolar entry to the capillaries is bypassed into what a called Arteriolar-Venous shunts, which are tiny vessels (but wider than the capillaries) to detour the blood away from the capillaries into the venules/veins. This occurs for "natural" reasons, for example to avoid heat loss in the peripheral blood on a very cold day. (Your hands then get cold but your body heat is protected). There are many examples where the blood is quickly shunted like this.

It has been noted that these shunts can also "develop" in response to pathology. It appears that people vary in the degree of AV shunting, some have extensive shunts available others have few. Fibromyalgia is a pathology which has been shown to have these "pathological" shunts. ME/CFS has not been investigated but remember that about half of people with FM actually have ME/CFS.

I am not sure that the shunts are very important in ME/CFS or FM though. Think of it like this:

If the studies by Simpson et al are correct, and it appears they are then red blood cells are being made abnormally in ME/CFS. This abnormality results in two changes:
    1. Reduced deformability. RBC's must deform to get through the narrow capillaries (Also some people do have narrower capillaries and depend very much on this ability of RBC's to deform). Remember that the "toroidal" shape of a RBC is what allows the deformation. Stiff or flattened RBC's don not deform much and often cannot get through the capillaries also blocking the way for others. This is bad news for O2 delivery and for ROS and Calcium clearance.
    2. Reduced deformability is also associated with agglutination (probably because the same change to the RBC membrane results in more sticky properties). Agglutination means gluing together of the cells to form tiny lumps of cells. Obviously these cannot fit through the capillaries.

It is known that such problems: narrow capillaries, low deformability of the RBC and agglutination result in excess calcium which results in many different cellular abnormalities, in particular mitochondrial membrane depolarization. This results in energy problems, pain and toxicity depending on the person.

A lot of shunting would be a problem but it may well be that the problem is narrow capillaries and abnormal RBCs.
    I suspect that (in ME) a high degree of shunting results in lower BP and poor shunting results in higher BP but both situations result in abnormal microcirculation. This is most probable cause of neuropathy in FM just as it is in T2D.

In fact I think ME is closer to T2D than it is to depression.
  8. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Thanks Ian for all the info!

Mary