Iodine & Breast Health

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by jaminhealth, Jul 28, 2013.

1. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

I did it again...called in a Health Show on the radio and the subject
    was breast cancer and it was coming from a plastic surgeon who
    re-constructs breasts after mastectomy. I asked HIM, why MD's
    do not talk prevention with patients, specially Iodine for breast health
    which also addresses thyroid and uterus health.

He didn't deny it that MD's don't go there, and went on to say, others
    factors are involved....could be so, but who knows..... I also got in how
    all the FLUORIDE millions ingest also cause the iodine to be pulled out
    of our bodies, if we have any iodine levels there....

I'd bet money, conventional MD's NEVER mention Iodine Deficiency
    with their patients, NEVER....

There is a lot of info on Iodine and Breast Health and one can do
    their research. At least my "words" got out to many who listened
    to that show....so I did my service today......

Do your research. I take Iosol Iodine daily and I also have not
    had a mammo in probably 25 yrs.....this is my MO and I only share
    my experiences... When I've missed some days of taking Iodine, I
    get breast pain and tenderness.....jam
  2. mbofov

mbofov Member

Good for you, Jam! All the more reason we have to educate ourselves, cannot rely on traditional medicine and docs to keep us healthy --

Mary
  3. jaminhealth

Mary, I just joined an Iodine group run by a naturopathic MD and it's absolutely amazing how true it is that Iodine Deficiency is huge....I'll paraphrase some of her comments soon... I want to educate myself more on Iodine and find out which BRAND is preferred and Why.....jam
  4. jaminhealth

This is essentially what the ND on the iodine group told us:

((She is convinced that every diet is deficient in iodine. Iodine is NOT in our soils. Those who eat seaweed believe they are doing well but they have a set of other issues in that toxic halides are now poisoning our seaweed which negates the iodine they may be getting.

Soy is a goitrogen - meaning that it blocks iodine absorption. So yes if you have eaten a lot of soy then this can cause an issue. It also messes with hormones in the body in general as it is highly estrogenic.))

I'm glad I hooked up with the group as I feel stronger and stronger on my Iodine Deficiency beliefs I've thought for many years...
  5. jaminhealth

ProHealth has a couple Iodine products and here is the description from Tri-Iodine they offer:

Iodine is one of the most important minerals required for healthy cellular and complete metabolic function. There is no life without iodine and it has been estimated that the entire population is deficient in iodine.

For thyroid support and to protect against forming of a goiter, only small amounts of iodine are required. But today, doctors have found that all tissues of the body require iodine. The breasts, ovaries, uterus and prostate tissue require large quantities of iodine.

In the early 1900s Dr. Szent-Györgyi, the discoverer of vitamin C, was reported to have said that they did not know what iodine did in medical terms but it did everything good and was used for almost all health conditions. It is also reported that he himself ingested 1,000 mgs a day of iodine.

The quality of health of Japanese women is far superior to women in the United States. It has been estimated that Japanese women ingest 12.5 mgs of iodine daily. On the island of Okinawa there are a higher percentage of people over 100 than anywhere else in the world. It has been reported that they ingest, through their diet, 80 to 200 mgs of iodine daily.

Could iodine be the missing link to good health? According to several holistic physicians, the answer would be yes. The book by Dr. David Brownstein, Iodine, Why You Need It and Why You Can't Live Without It, says it all.*
    Made in the USA.
  6. jaminhealth

It's a really busy board as Iodine is a huge subject out there now, almost like the Vit D deficiency when all that came up...looks like 12.5mg is a standard dose...I'm up to under 8mg now and will dose up....jamro
  7. jaminhealth

Wow, this is some incrfedible info on Iodine, I asked members of the Iodine group I joined WHY so many take Higher Doses and got this info I had no idea about.

A person just cranked up from 50-75 mgs Iodoral to 50 mgs Iodoral and 50 mgs Lugol's.

Iodine is the one supp that is definitely helping heal her body from chemo and radiation. It's helped her kidneys, skin, sinuses that I can tell so far. **It's great for energy.** She feels a diff. between 25 and 37.5 mgs iodine in the morning, or the 25 mgs each she took this morning.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/05/04/iodine-deficiency-affect-childs-brain-function.aspx

"According to Dr. Flechas, your thyroid alone needs about 6 mg of iodine per day; the breasts of a 110-pound woman will need about 5 mg/day (larger women or women with larger breasts need more); and other body tissues, such as your adrenals, thymus, ovaries, hypothalamus, and pituitary gland, need about 2 mg/day.

Here are a few more interesting facts:

* In total, the human body can hold 1,500 mg of iodine
    * Your thyroid can hold a maximum of 50 mg of iodine
    * 20 percent of the iodine in your body is held in your skin (if your skin is depleted of iodine, you will not be able to sweat)
    * 32 percent of your body's iodine stores are in your muscles (if muscles are depleted, pain and other fibromyalgia*** symptoms can develop)"

So, although the bod may only need about 15 mgs, this doesn't account for the amount needed to detox the other halogens, and do body healing.)))

And I thought I was doing GOOD at 12mg, but could I feel better at higher dosing...I will see, I'm going to take it twice a day NOW. I never sweat.
  8. jaminhealth

As I'm understanding 12.5mg seems to be the standard dose for most americans...Many take more working up slowly and especially for serious issues from cancer treatments...

I worked up slowly to 12mg and today I took close to 18mg and feel fine...I think my body can use 25mg as I muscle tested/pendulum work on this issue....I don't detox and don't sweat and I'd like to sweat some, that is a sign of low iodine...
  9. jaminhealth

On this subject, there is so many different "camps" of info on Iodine.....I'm back down to 1-3mg Iosol daily....thinking perhaps the higher dose is not necessary for my body....

Do your own reasearch, there is so much confusion as I see it. jam
  10. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

I guess I hadn't heard of this with the iodine? Wow.. makes sense.. Seems like I remember my Gram used to take Iodine.. I use Sea Salt.. and I get the one with that in it.. because I did know that with the thyroid.. I needed it.. but I don't use alot of salt. Guess I need to check into this further and get some..
    I did know about the Soy.. if You have issues.. with the thyroid.. to stay away from it.. any of it..
    There is a lady on the lowcarbfriends. com forum.. nonstickpam.. she is really very informative about this with the thyroid and all of its issues..
    I've been having alot of chest wall pain lately and it isn't a very comfortable feeling.. as any of You know that have this.. but.. now I will check into getting some iodine.. oh.. before I forget.. I rarely sweat... I can get a light odor from under the arm pits but.. as far as sweating.. I don't.. but.. I have wondered why on this.. but just finally put it all together after reading this.. Same thing with hair.. I get hair under my arm pits.. but rarely get any on my legs? I might shave under the arms.. maybe every 3 or 4 weeks.. lol.. my legs.. maybe twice a year.. strange..