IRobot roomba

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by campbeck97, Jul 11, 2011.

1. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi all do any of you use the irobot roomba for your sweeping? I have such horrible back and chest pains when I use my sweeper and it just wears me out. I have been reading alot of mixed reviews on them but wow if it worked it would sure be nice,so im trying to find someone that actually has one and tell the pro's and cons of using one. i am thinking of buying one the one for pet hair as i do have two small housedogs and so hair is a problrm.but i love my dogsand they are good therapy for me when im sick and really down.I would appreciate any responses. god Bless
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I bought the original Roomba back in the day when I was bedridden most of the time. It was a God send. I understand they are much better than the original and it was fine. The only thing which made me angry is that they kept introducing a new and improved version every other day. It's like buying an iPad. My friend, Shirl, got one and she loved hers too. I haven't used mine in years since I got better and the battery is probably shot. It sits in my closet. I prefer to clean myself but when I couldn't, the Roomba saved me.

Love, Mikie
  3. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi Mikie and thanks for your quick response to my post,at least it sounds like it might be benefical for me at least to use part time or as a helper to me lugging out the big machine that I have. God Bless you and have a great day!
  4. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I posted a similar question several months ago when I was researching these vacs, you might want to do a search for it. After reading up on them, I ended up getting a Roomba Dirt Dog which is basically a sweeper, not a vac. It is for hard floors, actually advertised for garage floors.

I have a lot of tile and pet hair too, it does a decent job when I remember to use it. I only use it on tile, would need a different type for carpet. The only problem is, you have to move things out of it's way or it will get stuck on things (cords, area rugs) and it is round, so it can't get into corners. But it certainly does a better job than me doing nothing! It is a bit noisy, about the same noise level as a blow dryer maybe.

If you purchase one from Hammacher Schlemmer (sp??) they are guaranteed for life which is much better than the manuf warranty. I ordered online from them for this very reason. Good luck and let us know your reviews if you do get one. There are a lot of models to choose from, kind of redundant at times it seemed. Confusing to say the least!
  5. 3gs

3gs New Member

I absolutely loved my roomba. It is so hard to vaccumm and this was a godsend. Mine would do all types of floors.

I loved how it would do under furniture,go along walls and around stuff. Once in awhile it got stuck under couch.

If you have pets get the one for that. That was my biggest problem unclogging the cat hair.

Mine stopped holding a charge. really should replace it,was only time my floors were cleaned on a regular basis. My mom and aunt both got one too!
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Nothing takes the place of a big old high-suck vacuum but most of us aren't capable of using one regularly. The Roomba keeps things clean in between. I only used mine on the tile areas of flooring but it did an excellent job. I simply used a long-handled duster to drag dirt and lint from the corners out to where the Roomba could sweep it up. Only took a minute to do. My Roomba could maneuver around most everything and if it got stuck, it would send out a "come help me" signal. I had those little electronic gates to keep it out of where it shouldn't go. It's easier to do several smaller rectangular areas than one huge and irregular one.

One of the most depressing things about fatiguing illnesses is not being able to keep a clean house. Roomba allowed me to have a reasonably clean condo. BTW, I now have a Hoover floor machine which dispenses floor cleaner, scrubs the tiles with little revolving brushes, and sucks up the dirty water. It leaves the tiles sparkling. I thank God that I now have the energy to run it once in a while. With the onset of Sjogren's, I'm back to full-on exhaustion so I may have to revive the Roomba.

Love, Mikie