Irregular Periods and Vitex?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, Jan 17, 2009.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Has anyone tried Vitex for irregular periods? I don't know what to do at this point. I think I'm in early menopause and I'm only 39. I've been getting heavier periods lately and way too close together. I just can't take it anymore. I need herbal suggestions for lightening it up or stopping it altogether. I never tried Vitex, but I keep hearing mixed things about it. Does anyone know of anything else I could try?

I barely got my period for six months, and I was so happy about it. But then I was under massive stress and I got it back with a vengeance. Then I thought it stopped for a few days, and now, bang. I am so sick of this. I don't want to go back on birth control pills. I got too sick on those after time. So I'm looking for alternatives.
  2. onedaysoon

onedaysoon New Member

I take vitex (aka chaste berry) in addition to other herbs I make into a tincture. I was originally prescribed it by an N.D.

I didin't have the heavy bleeding, like you but I had various symptoms, including severely painful breast around my periods. It has helped greatly.

Primrose oil is suppose to help menstrual and menopausal symptoms. But, according to my N.D. you have to take way more than the average capsule size to get the benefit.

I also take natural progesterone, made by a compounding pharmacy. It helps my monthly and helps lessen the severe pain and sickness I use to get.

Progesterone is good at helping regulate your cycles.

I hope something helps for you. For a brief time I was getting my monthly every 2 weeks, it was horrible. I was worn out on top of how I normally feel. I never did find out why they started coming every 2 weeks :eek:/.

I so much cannot wait until menopause. But, I am only 31, so I figure I will just have to wait, whether I like it or not.