Irresponsible Book? It's All in Our Heads?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by romanshopper, Apr 16, 2007.

1. romanshopper

romanshopper New Member

http://www.dailynews.com/pulse/ci_5675675

"Often the source of our physical ailments lies in our minds. That's the theory behind Dr. John E. Sarno's provocative new book, "The Divided Mind: The Epidemic of Mindbody Disorders" (HarperCollins; $16.95). From back pain to fibromyalgia to carpal tunnel syndrome, many debilitating conditions can be traced to psychosomatic disorders that originate in our unconscious, Sarno, a professor in the Department of Rehabilitation at the NYU Medical Center, writes. These "emotional" disorders cause real pain, Sarno says, and often can be treated with psychological therapies that don't involve the immediate relief found in a bottle. Available at Barnes & Noble and online at amazon.com."

Yeah, it provokes me alright. I have a VERY happy life, I just hurt like hell all the time. This makes me SO MAD.
    UG.

How do you guys feel about it?
  2. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

Can I give this guy a good swift kick in the CROTCH??????
    This guy better watch out as the big mean Cronic Illness Fairy may just come and visit him..and then what?
    I'm with you Roman!

God bless and Hugs
    ~ GigglePoet
  3. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

Wow! Good o'l Doctor Oz indorses this??? Well I am gonna have to pinch his little headie! And I like him to!

~ GigglePoet
  4. homesheba

homesheba New Member

makes me want to beat him up if i didnt hurt so bad!:)
    i just now had my dh ask me when i can get off of pain patch!!!!!!!!!!!
    what??? he still doesnt get it either!!
    sob!
  5. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

What a (bad word)! Makes me sick to my stomach that we all have to defend ourselves!

Deb
  6. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

What a (bad word)! Makes me sick to my stomach that we all have to defend ourselves!

Deb
  7. desertlass

desertlass New Member

I am disappointed to hear this. I am also disappointed and angry that John Sarno is recycling his pet theory to cover "everything", not just back pain. I could go on at length why this bothers me so much, but it will just turn into a rant.

I think I'd do better to grouse at his publisher rather than to you good people.

Sigh and grr.
  8. Kellyslaw

Kellyslaw New Member

What kind of research did this guy do???? I know he did not examine me. I wonder what the Fibromyalgia Association would say about this guy. I do get psycho therapy because I am depressed because I have a chronic illness with chronic pain. Maybe he should talk to a Psych. How can a PT say that our pain is not real??? He is not a psychiatrist, is he?

I am so mad I could spit nails. I think we should do a letter writing campaign and boycott his book. What do you guys think? He is an insult to his profession. I am sure my doc who diagnosed me would not appreciate being called a liar.

Kelly
  9. romanshopper

romanshopper New Member

Perhaps we should all give him horrible reviews on Amazon?
    I dunno what to do, but I'd like to do something...well, I guess it better be legal. :)
  10. Catseye

Catseye Member

The psychology business must be in dire straights after Tom Cruise publicly humiliated it, and understandably so. So they need a new moron to drum up business.

Our metabolic systems are "broken" - if we had broken legs, would he want to ask us about our childhood and wonder if we loved our mommies and daddies? I'd love to know how determines whether a person needs a physical fix like a cast or a nutritional supplement in contrast to when they need a moron to ask them personal questions.

I think he's a real Richard.

karen
  11. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Let him walk a mile in my shoes and then he'd have a book to write!
    Mini
  12. Suze

Suze New Member

I haven't read this particular book, but I was impressed with two of his others. The posts here are reacting to the reviewer's interpretation of Sarno's work. I sincerely doubt that Sarno himself says these illnesses are all in our minds.

Suze
  13. clerty

clerty New Member

how come even if we are on anti depressesnts we still feel ill how does he work that one out agggggggh another ruddy idiot how does he know does he have fibro no doubt just another lot of crap raking in the dollars we should have him exposed as he knows nothing about us.

Clertyx
  14. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

There was a Larry King show recently with Dr Sanjay Gupta and Bob Greene agreeing that we now know enough to prevent all illness. No one needs to be sick anymore.

Lance Armstrong was sitting between them. I wonder what they think he should have been doing to prevent his cancer? More exercise?

Larry King never asks hard questions and Armstrong was too polite.
  15. roge

roge Member

while i do believe the mind is powerful and that it cant be separated from the body, and certainly subconscious conflict and other emotions can manifest itself in physical symptoms for some but cmon, "many debilitating conditions" and how does he explain all the scientific abnormalities present in both FM and CFS that are just too numerious to even list here.

Geez, ya I guess it is my repressed emotions that causes my muscles to be in pain and spasm after I actually USE them. How does he explain that. Many of our symptoms are much worse post activity. I mean I lift a 5 pound weight and do 10 bicep curls, and like 1 hour after it is spasming and the pain will get worse 6 hours after and even 1-2 days later.

Anyway, try not to let this goofball get any of us down.

Peace
  16. roge

roge Member

this guy's father likely wrote the same type of book in the 70's including MS and RA as physical ailments that were in fact an emotional disorder.

peace
  17. 2shasta

2shasta New Member

This book a divided Mind made me so upset that I even paid hard earned money for it. I would like to have my money back! I had to put it down it was causing me so much trauma! I really feel all have a right to free speech and to publish anything they want. I also believe when the mind and the body are in sync it is a wonderful experience. But, I love to read all I can about our illnesses and this book by far was such a waste of my time and my energy. I think as consumer's we just have to learn to filter thru the
    BS! What is not so good is that some doctors will say see, I told you so! Regrettably we as patients are so desparate for some answer's. I rate this book from 1 to 10, 10 being the best, about -5!
  18. Febricula

Febricula New Member

... I reach for my gun. LOL! I consider myself a victim of these kinds of therapies -- if only I hadn't wasted so much time with psychological treatments instead of seeking the physical cause of all my ills, I could have started my recovery *years* ago.

I have absolutely no patience for these theories because they are an elaborate form of victim-blaming. Already try antidepressants/psychotherapy/CBT/meditation/T'ai Chi/etc. and yet you're still ill? Well, then clearly you have more repressed anger to work on! It can't be that treating physical problems with psychological tools is fundamentally inadequate. No, the problem must lie with YOU!

I just got a bunch of this from my doctor last week, and I had such high hopes for her too! :( If my mind was capable of causing all the things wrong with me (things that are easily caught on lab tests that no one bothered to prescribe for me for nearly 5 years because they assumed my problems were psychological), then I would be able to rule the universe with the superpower of my mental rays! But it just doesn't work that way.

Okay, enough frothing at the mouth! :)

-febricula
    [This Message was Edited on 04/23/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/23/2007]