Irritability & CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CHRIS(uk), Nov 29, 2002.

1. CHRIS(uk)

CHRIS(uk) New Member

Hi all,

Does anyone else with CFS suffer from irritability?

During my down days, I find myself getting increasingly irritated with my loved ones for the most stupid reasons. I really feel I can't be any other way. I find myself ignoring the caring questions (how are you? / can I get you anything?) and just don't want to speak in reply. I really hate myself for being this way - especially when it is with those that care most about me.

Prior to this illness (and when I'm feeling good) I am a very laid back fun loving person, whom I hope most people would describe as 'fun to be around'.

When I've met highly strung/irritable people in the past, I could never understand why they behaved in this way. However, I can now partly understand, as I find it so difficult to behave in any other way...

Anyone else have any advice?

Thanx

Chris

PS - fortunately these bad down days are probably less than 20% of the time, but I still can't stand the obvious hurt I am causing to those I love
  2. CHRIS(uk)

CHRIS(uk) New Member

Hi all,

Does anyone else with CFS suffer from irritability?

During my down days, I find myself getting increasingly irritated with my loved ones for the most stupid reasons. I really feel I can't be any other way. I find myself ignoring the caring questions (how are you? / can I get you anything?) and just don't want to speak in reply. I really hate myself for being this way - especially when it is with those that care most about me.

Prior to this illness (and when I'm feeling good) I am a very laid back fun loving person, whom I hope most people would describe as 'fun to be around'.

When I've met highly strung/irritable people in the past, I could never understand why they behaved in this way. However, I can now partly understand, as I find it so difficult to behave in any other way...

Anyone else have any advice?

Thanx

Chris

PS - fortunately these bad down days are probably less than 20% of the time, but I still can't stand the obvious hurt I am causing to those I love
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Hey Chris---I hear you!
    Some meds have made me VERY irritable--I seem to have this opposite thing going on. Meds that usually sedate, make me hyper, and irritable. Also, as you mentioned those days we are feeling poorly make us hard to live with.
    I try to make note of my emotional condition---and try very hard on those days, to remain quiet, and go out of my way to be loving. Sometimes it takes a real concious effort--but a worthwhile one!
    Karen
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

The more fatigued I am feeling the more irritable I become. In spite of knowing that I still take it out on my mom sometimes (we live together).

I'm sure my kids would be happy to tell you that I do it to them, too. I think half of that is because they are all young adults, trying to let go of their childhood and make sure I know they are not children any more. Ever since my oldest met his fiancee he has become much nicer to me. Gotta love her!!

I also know that most of the time I have a hard time listening to conversations and often just tune them out instead of working hard to tune them in. This happens more often in large groups than with only a few people.

I don't know if I have any suggestions. Sometimes it just helps to know you are not the only one who is affected by this.

Barbara
  5. alsu

alsu New Member

Altough our love ones understand we must not take that for granted.Remember to use your good days to appoligise&try to make there day a little better.Let them know you love them(even on a bad day)

Alan.......U.K
  6. battyforbeanies

battyforbeanies New Member

I just wanted to let you know that even though I have fibro I also get feeling that way. When the pain is extra bad and/ or I am tired I act like that. I have no patience at that time. That is one of my main prayers, that I be granted more patience and understanding.
    Have a great day,
    Vickie C.
  7. lucky

lucky New Member

If nothing else, the irritablity is hard to cope with at times and because of it we feel guilty, especially when we let it out on loved ones.
    And the more fatigued or tired, the more irritable we get. I have found a great help in the Celexa I am taking (not only for the irritability) because it also helps the fatigue - and in return the irritability.
    But, there are other meds who might contribute to it than help it. In my case, the med just takes the edge off where I do not jump at every little thing which is not usually worth flying off the handle for.
    Lucky
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

Same here.....And they thought the PMS was bad!!!teehee!
    I find myself yelling more at my kids when I feel like crap.I'll catch myself being this way&feel horrible~They're
    just kids~

9. vloga

vloga New Member

Grr, grr, raHHH, grr, grrrrrr

Irritable, me ? Surely not

Yes, unfortunately. If anyone complains that didn't know my happy sunshiny self before,I tell them they're lucky that they know me now, because happy, cheerful, pain-less people can be a right pain to live and work with !

Apologise ? No, only to those you care about. It's amazing the timewasters that don't waste my time any more, now that I growl :) It's not our fault we have this illness, so why should we apologize for it ? It's like apologizing that you were born.

Vloga
  10. evileva

evileva New Member

Hi Chris,
    Being irritable was one of the first symptoms for me, I found that I would get irritated over nothing at all and believe me I didn't like it either. My doctor put me on Prozac and I (and everyone else) find that it has helped me a lot. You might want to talk to your doctor and see what he thinks might help you. Good luck.
    Eva
  11. CHRIS(uk)

CHRIS(uk) New Member

Its nice to get feedback from those who understand... - but of course I wish none of you ever had to experience these feelings!

I can certainly related to all your comments. I think the irritability / lack of patience is probably a result of my state of mind - as opposed to a symptom of CFS. Its very difficult not to be depressed, especially on the worse days when there is too much time to think! Its the feeling that I'm just killing time until I hopefully get better that really drags me down.

Does anyone ever come to terms with the illness?

I have discussed trying Prozac with my Doc, I'll see if this helps.

Take care
    Chris
  12. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

I haven't been diagnosed w/CFS for very long, but have had it for at least 4 years or more...I take Klonopin for the anxiety. I take one in the morning and one at bedtime...I could take more, but it drags me down. Maybe you should ask your doc about that...it's an anti-anxiety drug and a lot of CFS/FM take it with good success...
    Here's to better days and more of them!!!!!!!!!
    #1Writer