Irritabilty/anger

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pryna, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Pryna

Pryna New Member

I have noticed a significant increase in my irritabilty as of late. As well as increased frustration and general anger (without a specific thing to be angry about- just general life stress). This is doubly frustrating because my pain and fatigue have been somewhat improved lately with a handful of supplements I have been taking. I am starting to wonder if it is the supplements or the FMS. Anyone have similar symptoms? anything helpful? Starting to wonder if I am having permanent PMS. :(
    Thanks for any input.
    Pryna
  2. kgg

kgg New Member

allergic too. If I start feeling like that, I think back a day or two and try to remember what I ate. For me, I usually find white bread and/or dairy products. I usually don't eat these so when I do, I can tell. I'm surprised to hear that your fatigue is better because usually if I feel like that I am also over tired. Did you start any new supplements lately? This dd is such a puzzle sometimes. Hope it passes soon. -Karen
  3. IgotYou

IgotYou New Member

I get very irritable and angry sometimes and it's usually when everything is really annoying to me. I get very sensitive to sounds, touch, lights, etc. Usually my pain level is also higher at these times. I recognize that I'm being unreasonable but I just want to be left alone. It would be interesting to see if others have connected this feeling to food. I have eliminated known food problems entirely and never cheat, so I'm at a loss as to what causes it.
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Its probably the FM, I take mega supplements, large amount of magnesium, that is what helped with the irritability/anger. I would fly off the handle even when I was alone. The least little thing would set me 'off' as my husband put it.

I think its something to do with a lack of magnesium in our systems. Most all of us are deficient in this mineral that plays such an important part in our wellbeing including our brains.

I also drink water now, which is something I never did in my whole life. I drink half my body weight in ounces of water a day, along with a 1/4 teaspoon of Sea Salt through out the day.

The only medication I take is Xanax, low dose in the evening for racing brain syndrome, so can't say that meds caused the impatience, aggravation, and anger.

I even started avoiding people that I knew would cause me to get angry on a normal day, I was not sure what I would do if they caught me in one of those 'moods' :)

I sure hope you find what works for you soon, if it continues it will cause you to Flare, its happened to me many times. I would be feeling fine, then go off on a tangent, and would be in an awful flare in a matter of hours.

Take care,

Shalom, Shirl
  5. azcactuslil

azcactuslil New Member

Depression is one of the wonderful perks of FM. It can show up as unexplained anger or outbursts. A flag for me is not wanting to talk to anyone, not even friends. I just don't have anything to say or the desire to try. I would suggest a good therapist. It certainly helps me get some perspective on things.

azcactuslil
  6. GreatDaneLady

GreatDaneLady New Member

I was always a really happy person until I got diagnosed with FM and all my other zillion problems. I have since been very depressed but the sleep problems have been since birth. I will be honest I do feel in the beginning maybe some of my irritability might have been from pain and being anger because it was with me 24/7 but now I also know it is from depression. My Dr has told me many people with chronic illnesses and FM get depressed and heck who couldn't get moments of it with all we go though. Many times we have to take anti depressants and some are said to have dual effects and help FM with pain, sleep and depression.

Over the years I became bed ridden my pain was so bad and to learn to walk again at one point so I was very depressed at one point. I was diagnosed with slight Manic Depression but with proper medication I now feel my moods are better and I am no longer irritable anywhere close to the the amount of time I was before even with the pain I experience.
  7. todayisagift

todayisagift New Member

Because of that I had to start on Seroquel, I take 100mg daily. It isn't just for Schizophrenics. It is also used for agitation and irritability. Mine goes along with my anxiety and depression. No matter how hard I tried I coudln't stop snapping at people and being short with them. It was starting to make me upset. Usually antidepressants take care of that but not always. In some cases you need an antipsychtotic as an adjucnt to help with that. You take smaller doses than people with Schizophrenia and psychotic disorders.
  8. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I get really irritated/angry during my PMS time(week before) but I have noticed that the heat/humidity makes me an "ugly" person and also it is hard to be happy/cheerful when I am in chronic pain 24/7.It is a constant battle/inner turmoil.
  9. barbaradh

barbaradh New Member

Not that that's going to make you feel any better though. I have noticed increased irritability and anger in the past couple of months, and have been told that it just goes along with FMS/CFS. It could be depression and/or anxiety though, so if you haven't gotten that checked out, you might want to. It could also be one of your medications or one of the supplements you're taking. The past two weeks I had noticed greatly increased anger that bordered on rage. I finally pinned it down to the Ritalin my doctor had put me on for ADD. Once I discontinued it, I felt MUCH better (and I can't tell you how grateful my hubby was). As much as FMS/CFS changes our lives (or should I say, takes AWAY our lives as we used to know them), it's understandable to have feelings of irritability and anger. Just try to pin down what's making it worse if you can, for your own sake (and sanity).

Take care,
    Barbara
  10. rigby

rigby New Member

I 'm always so angry and hate ful mostly by the end of the day or when i first wake up now I feel as if everryone hates me they tell me they do I do stay in touch because the phone bothers me
  11. Pryna

Pryna New Member

I appreciate all the support and feedback. Funnny, I was incredibly irritable/angry this week while keeping busy at work. Now that it is the weekend, It is a beautiful day out side, and I just felt too tired to go and enjoy it, and now I am just tired and depressed (not irritable). So I suppose the fatigue/depression does have a big interaction. I try to not sleep in the day, but I am so tired. Then I get depressed I slept another day away. I guess I am just venting. Hopedully this anger will die down, but this is still a relatively new diagnosis and maybe I am still mad. I fooled myself into thinking it was gone with the supplements, and while they help, I just keep saying to myself, they did the trick, I am cured, but I am not. My cement legs and longing for bed prove it.
    Thanks again for all of you on the board. You have been great.
    Pryna
  12. toots2

toots2 New Member

Who wouldn't fly off the handle at times and get angry too when we suffer so much. I just chalk it up to the pain and fatigue. Toots