Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lgp, Apr 9, 2008.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Is it me or has anyone noticed odd sounds on tv commercials lately? There seems to always be odd backround noises that sound like a land-line phone ringing, a cell phone ringing, a Blackberry beeping within the contents of the commerical. I think my hubby and I are pretty astute creatures and he works in the IT industry, and yet once in awhile we think one of the devices within the house is going off when it's just a sound from a tv commercial. I've noticed it with more frequency lately, even if the commercial isn't for an electronic or similar device. Anyone else notice this too?
  2. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

YES! I thought I was going insane. I kept hearing a cell phone over the weekend, when ours was out of the house. It wasn't the sound of ours either. I finally decided it must be a commercial, but I haven't identified the culprit yet.
  3. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Me too!

I wonder if they are taking advantage of the fact that we are conditioned to pay attention to that sound.

So interesting!
  4. caffey

caffey New Member

But I notice it on the phone. Ringing or hearing other peoples conversations.

[This Message was Edited on 04/11/2008]
  5. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I haven't really notice it. But my dog, Jack sure does. It seems everytime he hears a doorbell ring on the tv, he thinks it is our door.

It is so funny
  6. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

Oh my gosh...I am astounded that this is actually happening to others! I hear it in commercials and always go and look for my phone..and when I realize it is in the commercial, there is NOTHING in the commercial to account for isnt about telephones or anything like that!

7. victoria

victoria New Member

It really drives us nuts... I also sometimes hear it in the background of songs & ads on the radio, which also really drives me nuts while driving, altho I do practice safe driving!

Funny about the dogs' reactions... we had several large dogs that stayed outside 99% of the year, we let them come in as they got older and arthritic - they could never get used to any dogs barking on the TV or any kind of knocking on doors!

And my daughter loved watching programs about wolves, so if there was a howl on TV, our dogs howled too, even if they were outside and just heard it thru open windows!

Our dogs now have been inside dogs & don't pay any attention to anything on TV - not even other dogs barking or wolves howling (in fact they never howl, altho they do bark at real outside dogs' barks).

Well- EXCEPT for the 2 that for some reason hate the ticking and the ding on our toaster oven.

There's one program on HGTV that has the same 'ding' every time they check things off a list, which occurs frequently during the show ... these 2 dogs run to the furthest parts of our house if that program's on!!!

8. joyfully

joyfully New Member

My dog doesn't like the sound of the generic doorbell ringing in the TV commercials. It is the same sound as our doorbell. I try to mute commercials because they are so LOUD incomparison to the program. I have that setting where it is supposed to level out the loudness of programs, but it doesn't seem to work for the commercials.
  9. caffey

caffey New Member

When the phone rings on tv my poor cat comes flying out and sits by the front door ( the intercom for my bldg is connected to the phone) waiting to see who is coming. It is sad but funny the look on her face when she realizes no one is coming.
  10. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

They do whatever they can to get your attention. Irritating noises always get people's attention. I try to mute commercials or turn the channel and watch something else during the commercials. But my fibro fog makes me forget to turn it back after the commercials, ha ha!

11. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi All,

I have such little tolerance for TV commercials that I invested in a Digital Video Recorder (DVR). It's one where you can watch while you record (with a few seconds of difference between the two).

When a commercial comes on, I just pause it or jump ahead a few minutes to get past the commercial. One of the best investments I ever made.

For anybody considering a DVR, I would suggest one that records in DVD RAM, besides the regular + and + R and RW. The DVD RAM allows a lot more flexibility. The brand I got was Panasonic and have been quite happy with it.

Regards, Wayne

12. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I haven't heard it for a while.

13. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

What the heck is going on?

14. skikat

skikat New Member

i dont know if it has anything to do with THIS , but i read a govt. article on some news site that tracks this stuff.(cant remember which one, though it could be googled)-

that our govt. plus 5 or 6 others are in accord as to tapping into our landlines, cell phone messages, e-mails, anything we use for messaging purposes, including websites. since this violates our 4th ammendment, they said that our govt,and thiers, all tap for each other and then send the info to each hdqtrs. that way our govts. are not breaking the law since it is sent to them by another country. they are all in on it and work together.

these are all friendly alies and all do it for each other. this i read probably a week ago. it was an article on a pretty good website or i wouldnt have paid attn. to it.
    dont know if this is what is causing the sounds or not, but could be. who knows anymore???lol
  15. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

So Belgium can tap our phone calls and send them to USA government....legally? What won't they think of next.

Your mr Bill

Oh, I hear the "pay attention" sounds all the time now on TV.