Is 5htp suppose to cause this???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrpain, Oct 2, 2006.

1. mrpain

mrpain New Member

It's 2:37 am eastern time and I feel like I'm speeding.
    I took 5htp for the first time tonight and I'm so awake I don't feel like I'll be sleeping for many many hours. I layed down after midnight thinking I would adventually get tired and fall asleep.

But instead, I keep getting more awake and full of energy like I never have before. Or at least like I haven't since I was much much younger. What's in this 5htp? Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this before? Even now I feel like I'm speeding faster. This is unreal... I'll have to try this one morning after a night I get some rest, to see if it will help during the day, because I need energy during then..This could be my answer to fatigue if it works like this all the time...
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

but sometimes people have adverse reactions...opposite...

i don't take it, didn't help w/my sleeping at all//
    try prescription klonopin....

jodie
  3. Marlene35

Marlene35 New Member

Would you please explain----what is Serotonan Syndrome?

Thank you.

Marlene
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Oops! Sounds like you one of the opposite reactor types like I am. After you get some rest, try taking it in the morning and, if you can, reduce the dose for awhile.

Not to rain on your parade, but also be conscious of how you feel when it wears off. There are things I can take that speed me up but I feel like dog dodo when they're done.

Oh, wait. As usual I read the posts AFTER I posted. Hayleycole could be right. Maybe you have adequate serotonin already. Anyway, experiment carefully if you choose to pursue it. Could be it will work well for you in smaller doses.

Marlene, Serotonin Syndrome is an overdose of serotonin and very serious. Don't ever take any form of serotonin with certain drugs, especially SSRIs which already promote it.

Marta
    [This Message was Edited on 10/03/2006]
  5. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Thanks for your advice. Maybe the melatonin, valerian, and the 5htp was to much serotonin... I finally fell asleep around 4am to 4:30am....I kept waking up though and felt bad when I finally got up at 10:15....It's 1:38 now and I still feel a little wired but tired and not all together.

Tonight if I get some sleep, (of course without taking any 5htp), I might try some in the morning to see if that makes a difference. Well I might actually wait for a few mornings to pass before trying it. Thanks for all the info and advice because I sure wasn't prepared for that reaction I had last night. I almost felt euphoric when expecting to get very sleepy.
  6. kbak

kbak Member

mrpain,
    I take 5htp and do fine but if I take melatonin it keeps me awake. So just because 5htp works for 1 person, dosen't mean it will work for you.

With that kind of reaction I would not take it. It's all a tricky business. Let your body guide you.

Good Luck,
    kbak
  7. mrpain

mrpain New Member

You mean if you take melatonin WITH 5htp? or when you take melatonin by itself that happens to you?
  8. pepper

pepper New Member

I often have paradoxical reactions to meds and supplements and it appears that might be what is happening to you.

When I took 5HTP, my anxiety level decreased dramatically and I thought that I had found an answer. However, I developed terrible headaches, so bad that I ended up at my GP's office. My BP was 196/120!! The high BP was causing the headaches.

I did some research and discovered that 5HTP can cause BP to spike in people who are inclined to have high BP. I am already on BP meds so I fall into that category.

Something to check out.
    Pepper
  9. mrpain

mrpain New Member

But last week at my doctors visit I was 120/80..... Did you ever have an euphoric reaction on 5htp like I had last night? I'm going to try it again except it will be the first thing one of these mornings.. Definitely in the morning. That is when I need that burst of energy that I got last night..
  10. pepper

pepper New Member

Then I would think that you are having a paradoxical reaction since it really should be calming you down - but if it gives you energy that can be a good thing. Trying it in the morning is a good idea.

Good luck with it.
    Pepper
  11. SweetT

SweetT New Member

5-htp is a good work pick-me-up, when I'm headed towards the 2-3pm slumps (when I have absolutely no more energy to make it to quitting time, or make it home).

Melatonin is for relaxing me, so I can fall asleep.

5-htp, used wih melatonin, makes me nauseated.
  12. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Anyone else get an energy boost from taking 5htp??? I'm still trying to get over the other night. Once I get back to what I consider normal, I'll try 5htp in the morning and see what happens..
  13. mrpain

mrpain New Member

The three supps. listed in your last reply as possibly causing mania.......Is that with taking those three together, or in conjunction with something else? The interesting thing that I didn't mention was that I had taken DL-Phenylalanine with the 5htp and of course my nightly melatonin & valerian.

I'm thinking it was the combination because yesterday morning I took the 5htp by itself an hour after I woke up and I was tired and sleepy the rest of the day. Nothing like I was the night I was so energetic.. So it must have been the combination of something else I took during the day or that night...

stormyskye- just interested to know your thoughts on this subject since you are familiar with supps & vitamins? And thanks once again to hayleycole for your help!
  14. mrpain

mrpain New Member

I think I will just throw away my 5htp.....I see no benefit....Only problems!
  15. elliespad

elliespad Member

This is taken from the website for bioschemicals. They supply both L-Tryptophan and 5HTP. I use only L-Tryptophan, for many reasons. (I don't mean to promote BIOS brand, they are plugging their own product, but the info is still good)

5-HTP

a) 5-HTP is merely a stepping stone in your body's production of Serotonin. First L-Tryptophan converts to 5-HTP, and then 5-HTP converts to Serotonin. 5-HTP converts more quickly to Serotonin than L-Tryptophan, but 5-HTP has far fewer functions in the body than L-Tryptophan and cannot replace L-Tryptophan.

b) BIOS/Lidtke 5-HTP begins life in the seed pod of a plant, Griffonia simplicifolia, that grows wild in certain regions of western Africa, mostly Ghana and the Ivory Coast. When the Griffonia pods ripen, they are picked wild (wildcrafted) where the plants grow naturally; they are never cultivated. The pods are broken open and three or four seeds the size of lentils are spread on ground coverings out in the Sun to dry. When the seeds are dry, they are inspected for cleanliness and quality and are flown to Switzerland for extraction. The seeds are never subjected to chemical reactions. At their peak, Griffonia seeds yield about 4% pure 5-HTP. As with BIOS/Lidtke L-Tryptophan, testing procedures typically find our 5-HTP to be 100.0%.

c) 5-HTP is not essential except in rare cases where an individual does not produce a rate-limiting enzyme needed for the production of 5-HTP from L-Tryptophan. This enzyme acts like a faucet that normally controls the production of Serotonin from L-Tryptophan. One possible drawback when you take 5-HTP as a supplement is that it bypasses this rate-limiting step, so your body loses its ability to adjust Serotonin levels as needed. For this reason, caution should be used not to overdose 5-HTP.

d) Although 5-HTP has been prescribed extensively in Europe to correct some of the same Serotonin deficiency symptoms as L-Tryptophan, such as helping to normalize mood, anxiety, and appetite, 5-HTP cannot correct an L-Tryptophan deficiency. And unlike the essential amino acids, 5-HTP does not typically occur in your diet.

e) Medical practitioners commonly recommend between 100 mg and 200 mg of 5-HTP per day when correcting Serotonin deficiency symptoms in adults. Results are fairly quick because 5-HTP only does one thing: raise Serotonin levels. It does not correct other L-Tryptophan deficiency symptoms.

f) Because 5-HTP may cause nausea when taken on an empty stomach, always give 5-HTP with food. By contrast, L-Tryptophan can be given without food.

g) The thorough testing of 5-HTP should include nearly identical tests as for L-Tryptophan.

© BIOS Biochemicals Corp. 1999-2006

L-Tryptophan

a) L-Tryptophan is the amino acid from which your body produces 5-HTP and Serotonin and Melatonin and a vast array of structural proteins, enzymes, and other essential biochemicals. L-Tryptophan, as such, cannot be replaced by any other amino acid, herb, vitamin, mineral, or man-made chemical.

b) BIOS/Lidtke L-Tryptophan is manufactured by a fermentation process using pure glucose as a substrate. The resulting solution is then separated and purified using highly specific filtration and recrystallation procedures. Purification takes place until the purity is always as close to 100.0% as humanly possible. Often our assays are higher than 100.0% because our L-Tryptophan is more pure than the best reference standards available that are used for testing. This level of purity is unparalleled.

c) L-Tryptophan is an essential (aromatic) amino acid that must be included in the diet. For this reason, L-Tryptophan is commonly added to baby formulas and to hospital intravenous solutions, where it is clearly essential for growth and survival.

d) L-Tryptophan has long been used by doctors in the United States and Europe to treat a variety of deficiency symptoms, especially physical and emotional disorders such as those found in Serotonin Deficiency Syndrome (SDS). These symptoms include nervousness, anxiety, sleep disorders, mood disorders, and excessive appetite. According to medical research, L-Tryptophan is the amino acid most commonly deficient in our diet.

e) When recommending L-Tryptophan as a dietary supplement, medical practitioners typically start low and work up to the ideal dosage. Sixty days may be needed for full benefit when a deficiency exists. Dosage seldom exceeds 500 mg per 50-pounds of body weight.

f) L-Tryptophan is most effective when taken with little or no protein. Low-protein snacks or beverages are O.K. Certain other amino acids, especially aromatic amino acids and branched-chain amino acids, including Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Leucine, Isoleucine, and Valine may compete with L-Tryptophan for passage through the blood-brain barrier (BBB). Hence, when L-Tryptophan is taken without competing amino acids, more L-Tryptophan passes through to the brain.

g) The thorough testing of L-Tryptophan should include tests for EBT, total contaminants, including organic volatile impurities (OVI's), pyrogens, and a full microbiological battery

[This Message was Edited on 10/09/2006]
  16. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Thanks for the good info on L-tryptophan. How do you start taking L-tryptophan? What kind of dosing? Do you think the brand Nutraceutical Sciences Institute is okay? Thanks!
  17. elliespad

elliespad Member

TwinMa-First, if you are using an SSRI, or MAO inhibitor, you do NOT want to use L-Tryptophan. I use a low dose Doxepin, with my Tryptophan, but that was researched and cleared by my doctor.

L-Tryptophan MUST be taken with B-6. I am unable to convert B-6 to the active form, so I must take P5P. Take a small dose, with your L-Tryptophan, a little before you want to go to sleep. I take 25 mg. P5P, with 1500 mg. L-Tryptophan. Generally, you take 500 mg. L-Tryptophan for every 50 lbs. of body weight. The math says I should take more, but the 1500 mg. works for me. It would be good to take a B-Complex, earlier in the day.

Take your Tryptophan AWAY from other protein sources, as the amino acids will compete for uptake in the brain. The B-6 is so conversion to Seratonin happens in the brain, not the intestines.

I recently added GABA to my regimen which I find helps even more.

Hope this is helpful for you.