Is a Gastroenerologist the Right Person to See for Gallbladder

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by futurehope, Mar 16, 2006.

  1. futurehope

    futurehope New Member

    Hi everyone,

    I have posted a lot in the last few days. Sorry about that.

    I went to my OBGYN today and he referred me to a Gastro Dr.

    I wanted to know if this is the right specialist for what I feel like might be gallbladder problems.

    Pain, sometimes dull, sometimes sharp in ribs, on the bottom ribcage sometimes in front, sometimes in the back. (right side of body).

    SORRY, stools pale, yellowish/orange.

    Berping a lot.

    Bilirubin in Urine.

    NO Nausea or extreme pain or jaundice.

    Also, I had this same problem back in late 2004 and had an ultrasound, CT Scan and Hida Scan came back clear.

    The pain did go away in 2004 after about two months, but this time it has stuck around for about 4 months and feels worse!!!!

    I have SO MANY PROBLEMS right now. If you read my posts you will see!!

    Thanks for all of your help!!

    Love and prayers,

    Worried maybe there might just be one big stone lodged in the ducts!!
  2. CarolK

    CarolK New Member

    A Gastroenterologist is the right doctor to see for all you "plumbing" needs. From the "input to the output".. so to speak... the gastro-man is the man for the job.

    They can run many tests to locate and identify all your digestive problems. Get a recommendation and then follow through with an appointment. Perhaps all you need is a change in diet or a vitamine supplement or perhaps an Rx for something to help you out... but do follow through for your own healths sake!

    Blessings to you Brenda.... CarolK
  3. Cromwell

    Cromwell New Member

    They will do a hyda scan(sp) and check for gallstones. The best docs are gastros for this,. Make sure they are real gastros as some MD's say they specialize in gastro but that means they took one course. Get one that ONLY does gastro.
    See you alreday had those a couple years bacik. They can pass before they catch it on the scan. Also try Simethicone otc and see if it helps.(Gas X)
    Love Anne C
    [This Message was Edited on 03/16/2006]
  4. futurehope

    futurehope New Member

    I have an appointment to see the Gasto Dr. on April 6th. He is a REAL gastro dr. That is a little bit of a long wait though. I have had this for about 4 months now, so I guess I can stand 3 more weeks!!

    Thanks again,
    Love and prayers,
  5. cbella

    cbella New Member

    Yes, your symptoms sound exactly like a bad gallbladder(or actually, one that is not functionly properly. ) I work with a gastroenterolgist and also with gall bladder surgeries in an outpatient surgery center. He may want to do some other tests like an endoscopy. If this is too expensive for you, go right to a surgeon and he will probably do another hida scan and determine if you need it out.Our GI man always does endos first to rule out anything, but then it usually always turn out to be gallbladder problems with those same symptoms that you have. Good luck! cb
  6. lillyrose33

    lillyrose33 New Member

    Yes you want to see a Gatro doctor. I saw one before the surgon. He did the endoscope and found out that I had GERD also but no ulcers, he also did biopsy which was normal....thank God.
    Wishing you the very best.
    Keep me informed how you are doing and what you find out.
    Love and prayers to you also.

  7. futurehope

    futurehope New Member

    Hi cebella,

    Thanks so much for posting.

    I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me.

    When you are talking about endoscopy, do you mean that ERCP thing they put down your throat and into the bile ducts to look for stones. I have heard that is a very dangerous procedure and can cause complications such as pancreatis (sp.)

    I KNOW that this has to be my gallbladder!!! Not to be gross, but the stools are what gives it away most definately. What I do not understand is back in late 2004 I had the same problems, had ultrasound, CT and Hida-Scan and everything turned out to be fine!! How could that be??

    Since I have (what they call) transient bilirubin in the urine, this REALLY WORRIES ME!! I have read up. I know that they use that ERCP Procedure to scoop stones out of the bile duct when they are stuck. That scares me SO MUCH!!

    Hope you are able to reply before this flies off of the board.

    I really appreciate your help!!!!

    Love and prayers,
  8. futurehope

    futurehope New Member

    I will be sure to post after I see the Gastro Doctor.

    Thanks so much for your concern and caring!!!

    Love and prayers,
  9. cbella

    cbella New Member

    The ultrasound should show if there are any stones. If there's stones they don't do a hida scan. Yes, the ercp scoops out the stones if you have one stuck in the bile duct. The endo I was talking about is just looking into your stomach and sometimes doing little biopsies of the stomach. It will tell the doc if you have gastritis, but it truley sounds like gallbladder. I would call the doc again and see if they have any cancelations, since you're feeling so bad. good luck! cbella
  10. futurehope

    futurehope New Member

    For all of your insight!!! I really appreciate it.

    I doubt they will find anything though because they did not find anything in late 2004.

    Very frustrating!!

    Thanks again!!
  11. cbella

    cbella New Member

    didn't find anything in 2004, the more reason, they probably will now.........cb
  12. JLH

    JLH New Member

    When I was having problems, I just went to my family doc, who is an Internist (Internal Medicine).

    He ordered all the tests, which proved that I had oodles of gallstones.

    He then referred me to a surgeon to have my gallbladder removed.

    All is well now!!


[ advertisement ]