Is acupuncture bad for you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelby319, May 14, 2006.

1. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

First off I wanted to wish every mother here a wonderful Happy Mother's Day!
    Now, for my question---
    I have a girlfriend who is so annoying, but trying to help me with this Fibro to the point of telling me everything is fine with me and basically its all in my head amoung other things. But she wrote me a letter after I refused to talk to her on the phone again, until I can get my composure back after that last talk.

But she did mention alot of alternative treatments which is the good side of it, but then proceeded to tell me I HAVE to try acupuncture, as it will take away all the pain and it will never come back again after these treatments, like she had for a car accident. Is she right or what? I sort of cringed at the thought of having needles put in any part of my body no matter where they might go, let alone my tender points or trigger points.

As I have said before, I'm very new to all this after only being diagnosed 4 months ago, but they believe I have had it for at least 3 or 4 years now. And I have been doing everything the Dr's have recommended to help with feeling better, including when I have a bad flair up, which seems to be alot lately. The Dr's think mostly these flair ups are because I'm still in denial and not excepting my limits and setting ground rules for myself. I did become very overwhelmed and depressed when I found out that I have this. But to try and explain it to an old friend is really starting to upset me----and that's why the question about acupuncture

If there is anyone that can explain to me about the benefits of acupuncture, I would greatly appreciate it and then I will give it a try. I just at the moment can't think of any needles being put into my body wouldn't cause more pain!! And then also I would beable to explain more to this girlfriend that has no idea what we face on a daily basis!!

Thank you for all your help!!
    Shelby
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

Well, have I got a story for you!

I had 6 acupuncture treatments and I've not had a migraine since, and 80 percent of my fm pain is gone. That was about 7 years ago.

Not all are as good as the one I went to. You need to research them and their training very well. My treatments were almost an hour each, and only cost $40 each. Best $240 I ever spent.

We are all so different and our pain is so individualized; however, I think you could try 6-8 treatments and be able to evaluate how you feel and go on from there.

Maybe your "pushy" friend could help you pay for them, LOL!!!

Best to you....
    findmind
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Acupuncture is definitely not bad for you as long as you use a qualified practitioner. I am a huge advocate of acupuncture and have been having it for several years.I find it helps the pain, energy and it relaxes me. As with all treatments, some will find it helpful, others not. I think it's definitely worth a try and you will need several treatments to see if it helps. There are lots of post here about it if you search.

The needles are very tiny and there is little discomfort. You get used to it all very quickly.I hope it helps.

Kathy.
  4. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I had acupuncture years ago for treatment of allergies.

It worked very well. The problem for me is that in my area the treatments are about 60 dollars each.

Generally in order to respond to the treatments properly - like chiropractic you start out say 3 times/week for several weeks then 2 times a week for several weeks, then once a week and tapering like that until you go about once a month.

Right now that's too pricey for me. But if you can afford to do it, I know it will help you. Just make sure you go to a licensed and certified acupuncturist.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  5. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Shelby,
    Here is my story:
    I have multiple illnesses besides CFIDS and Fibro. foremost among those is a chronic, untreatable bone marrow infection (I'm allergic to antibiotics) and rheumatoid arthritis.
    I started acupuncture a couple of months ago, and I am really improving. My fibro pain is less, I can sleep better, I can think better and I can read (and concentrate) again! I've had these DD's since at least 1970, so it is going to take a rather long time before I'm well, but I am really happy with what is happening. Oh, and my spirits are better, too.
    It's good that you are being careful. Choose your practitioner /doctor carefully. He/she should be fully trained in herbology, also. A spiritual component, such a being a Chi Gung Master or a regular meditator does a lot to insure the sincerity of the person, as far as being a
    healer. It is really good to find someone who has studied n China or Tibet, and who does not charge too much.
    My visits take about 50 minutes and they cost $70.00 (I'm in California). My Acupuncturist takes my insurance (He's a preferred provider with Blue Cross), and he also gives a discount to all who pay cash. The herbs he prescribes are inexpensive, about $8,00-$10.00. He asked to see my list of medications before he prescribed anything.
    As far as the needles go, well, some do sting, but only for a second or two. Then you rest comfortably for a while. It doesn't hurt at all whan they are removed.Tthey are very thin little pieces of metal.
    I think it could be well worth your time. Good luck.
    Terry
  6. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I tried Acupuncture 2 different times at different places. Both experiences were terrible for me. After the first time I tried it again because I had heard such wonderful things about acupuncture helping FMS.

I think you have received a lot of good advice from the other posts here, but I wanted to share my experiences with you so that you can avoid what happened to me.

Both times I was left alone on a hard table with several needles in me. I was in a lot of pain from the FMS and from being in the same position on the hard surface and every time I moved a little to try to get comfortable, the needles would jab me. I started to get very anxious and had to call out for someone to come to my assistance. The same thing happened both times.

My recommendation would be to go to an expert who is familiar with FMS pain. If you suffer from anxiety, let them know that you want someone to check on you after a few minutes to be sure that you are comfortable.

I don't want to discourage you because obviously a lot of people benefit from acupuncture, but not all experiences are positive.

Good luck,
    Lolalee
  7. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

I have tried it once, and my experience was not so great. It was similar to lolalee-- I was just left there with all the needles in me, and when I tried to move a little it hurt. I kept ringing the bell for them to come in and remove the needles, but they didn't hear me. I felt like I was on some hidden camera tv show! Needless to say I was not too impressed with that acupuncturist. However I would like to try again at a different place.

One interesting note- later that day after the treatment I did have more energy, and it seemed to "rev up" my body in a good way. Like it got my circulation going or something- kinda hard to explain.
  8. Chootik

Chootik New Member

Hi there.

Thanks for the info you posted. You mentioned you live in California and have a great Acupunctrist! I was hoping you live in Los Angeles and I could get a referral to him/her. I went to a lady 2 times, but the last time I went to her the needles hurt really bad so I'm thinking maybe she isn't doing something right! I would love to go to a really good one. If you get a chance, please let me know.

Thanks..

Maryam
  9. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I'll be realistic - the needles are very fine, but if you have a "blocked" meridian - they can hurt like hell.

Theoretically, once you unblock the clogged meridian, it should not hurt as much or at all the next treatment.

But if you have meridians (the acupunture points on the body - I think there are something like 800 total) that have been blocked for a long time, it will take a while to get pain free at those locations.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie