Is an MRI and Catscan the same thing????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by texasratgirl, Feb 16, 2007.

1. texasratgirl

texasratgirl New Member

Went to my chiro today.

Mentioned my sharp head pains that come on really fast and go away fast that they bring tears, and that I noticed my left leg that feels slightly numb all the time seem to get worse when I lay flat on my back or on my left side. but if I turn and lay on the right side, the numbness goes back to being like i have all most come out of a shot like the dentist goes to make you numb (you know like 20 % not 100%)

ANy way I noticed that last night the difference. So I told him today, and he wants to send me for an mri of my head, neck, and low back.

I asked him if there are different kind of mri's that are done.
    He said yes.

Crap, can't think of what he said (how he said it).

I think like they pick up different degrees of things.

Can anyone help on this. I have lost my mind at the moment.. :} :O

And i was just wondering if mri and catscans are the same??

Thanks for input. Hope I made sense.

TRG
  2. blueski31717

blueski31717 New Member

MRI vs CT
    A computed tomography (CT) scanner uses X-rays, a type of ionizing radiation, to acquire its images, making it a good tool for examining dense tissue such as bone. MRI, on the other hand, uses non-ionizing radio frequency signals to acquire its images and is best suited for non-calcified tissue.

Both CT and MRI scanners can generate multiple two-dimensional cross-sections (slices) of tissue and three-dimensional reconstructions. Unlike CT, which uses only X-ray attenuation to generate image contrast, MRI has a long list of properties that may be used to generate image contrast. By variation of scanning parameters, tissue contrast can be altered and enhanced in various ways to detect different features. (See Application below.)

MRI can generate cross-sectional images in any plane (including oblique planes). CT is limited to acquiring images in the axial (or near axial) plane. However, the development of multi-detector CT scanners with near-isotropic resolution produces data that can be retrospectively reconstructed in any plane with minimal loss of image quality.

hope this helps
  3. twitcher

twitcher New Member

No, they are completely different and show different things. CAT scans use an iodine-based dye where MRI's use no radiation just a magnetic field and a metal based contrast, if contrast is used. MRI's are the diagnostic tool of choice to look for brain lesions, spinal cord problems like disks etc....
  4. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Uses very strong magnetic fields to pull the hydrogen atom into another orbit. The RF field causes it to change its tilt slightly. The tilt is different for live vs dead tissue.

If you have dead, scar tissue or cancer, it shows up differently.

For brain scans, a regular scan is done first to check for dead brain cells. Then a constrasting drug is used to check for leaks in the Blood-Brain-Barrier (BBB).

As others have said, the CAT and MRI show different things but since insurance companies pay the medical bills they insist on the cheaper CAT scan first usually. Unless a Neurologist orders the MRI.

Amazingly enough, I had 3 MRI's on my brain and I felt much better afterwards. I think the magnetic field did something good. I felt more relaxed, less anxiety. Let us know if you feel anything too.

Also, if you have one leg shorter than the other, that might cause a pinch in the Lumbar about the sciatic nerve. I wear a 3/8" lift in one shoe...it made a big difference...and I walk nicer too.[This Message was Edited on 02/17/2007]
  5. texasratgirl

texasratgirl New Member

Talk about doctor lingo.... :}

Thanks for the replies.

I'll let you know what happens.

Not looking forwatd to the mri, I hate closed spaces.

You all are sure informative.

thanks again. :}
  6. dononagin

dononagin New Member

If you are clostrophobic request an open MRI - They do them for my hubby cuz he won't fit in a closed MRI.

Also, they can give you something to keep you calm if you opt for the closed.

My daughter had the closed when she was 12 and said it wasn't that terrible, they gave her a washcloth to put over eyes to help keep her from opening her eyes and getting panicky.

She said the noise was the only thing that kept her from sleeping through it!

Good luck!