Is anxiety/panicky feeling part of FMS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EllenComstock, Aug 29, 2005.

1. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Everyone:

I know I've seen this topic a lot on here and it's certainly understandable that we would feel anxiety at times with our futures uncertain, whether or not to try for disability, dealing with relationships, finances, etc.

But can we say that anxiety is a symptom of FMS? I think I have seen people here talk about medication that helps with the anxiety and panicky feeling.

The past six months or so I feel anxious a lot. I'm not eager to take another med, but if it would help, I would be glad to take it. I know some people here have mentioned the racing brain, which is especially bad for me at night.

I know I am driving my husband crazy and then I worry that he will leave me and what will I do since I can only work part-time and maybe down the road I won't be able to do that any more. I keep telling myself to take one day at a time, but sometimes I just can't stop feeling anxious. I am always worrying about our finances, even though we are better off financially than others here. We aren't wealthy, but we do not have a lot of bills and have a lower mortgage payment than most. I know my husband really loves me and he is not the type to leave when the going gets rough.

I would appreciate hearing from others about their experiences with this and any help they have received. I see my FMS doctor in Sept. and plan to talk to him about this. Thanks.

Ellen
  2. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

if you will check out my username, you will see that I have a couple of posts going here about this very issue.

I am not sure what to think about it being part of FM, but it surely seems to be since so many of us struggle with it.

I would not put the worry you describe in the category of anxiety in the sense you are asking about. Anxiety or panic attacks are unreasonable fear in the absense of a fear source. You feel panicked or anxious for no reason.

What you are feeling is a normal part of dealing with any kind of chronic illness, I think. It reminds me of a teaching that I love from James MacDonald on the 23rd Psalm.

When he talks about the "valley of the shadow of death" he says that many have likened that to the end of life but another author he read put that in the middle of life sometimes as a trial that we are going through.

He goes on to say that it is not the valley itself that we fear, but life on the other side of that valley in light of the trial - will I be okay, will I be alone, will I lose it? Examples he gives of this "valley news" is news of an illness or problems with a child or a handicap, etc.

I think you are fearing what you think could happen as a result of this dd, and I think most, if not all of us have either been there or are there now.

I try not to obcess about this DD as I did in the beginning when I researched and read endlessly and worried about being disabled like so many, etc.

I have come to grips with this for the most part. My new philosophy? I HAVE FM, I am not FM. It is not who I am, it is just a part of me that I have to deal with.

You are still Ellen, still worthy of love as you always were, with all your charms and personality still intact, even when it may hide behind your symptoms some days.

You are Ellen, you are not FM.

Sonya
  3. 123sandra

123sandra New Member

I don't know what your Doc does but the one I'm under here in England is trying to find out if the FMS causes depression/anxiety or if the depression/anxiety causes the FMS!! YOU'RE NOT alone!! I get the same symtoms. Take notice if you're FMS is worse when you're feeling stressed out or if you're stressed out then you're FMS is worse. I hate feeling crap and we know that causes me to get really down in the dumps. Tell your Doc if you feel your FMS was worse then you started feeling down or visa versa. Your FMS Doc should understand this. This is my first visit today to this site and it's opened my eyes!!! We're not alone anymore. I know it's hard but if you feel crap let people know, don't say " yes, I'm ok ". People that matter in your life will understand. Give yourself a hug from me!!
    Sandra
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Hi Ellen

Anxiety is definitely a part of FMS.According to my Doc. there is a physiological basis for this.We have over active sympathetic nervous systems. Our systems are not balanced as 'normals' are. With me, it's worse during a flare and of course, we worry about the future.

It can be helpful to have some anti-anxiety meds to get us over the really rough spots. I have found Ativan(lorazepam) to be helpful. Others use Xanax or Clonazepam. I also have learned relaxation and meditation techniques which really benefit me. There are lots of tapes available.

Hope this helps.

Kathy
  5. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I haven't been having panic attacks-just a panicky feeling. I had a panic attack once years ago so I know what that's like. Thankfully I haven't had one since.

I will definitely look into the medication to help this. I know I have to remember that I am still myself, not this horrible disease.

Sandra, just wanted to welcome you here. This place is the best I have found for supportive and caring people.

Thanks again.

Ellen

P.S. If anyone else replies, I won't be back here again until tomorrow morning.