Is Anxieyt/Panic part of this DD???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Sep 18, 2002.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

For years I have suffered from panic/anxiety which I think is linked to the FM/CFIDS. I also have MVP syndrome. I'm kinda agoraphobic to go places alone when I feel badly. I guess you can say I'm afraid of being dizzy, spacy, or having palpitations and being out alone without a "safe" person by my side. I also stopped driving because of my "fog" and dizziness. Anyone else like this. I have taken Xanax for years--it helps a bit--but I take a minute dot dose. Tried SSRI's--just made me sick--never again. Anyone use Bach Flower Remedy--this is relaxing and very natural?
    Tania
  2. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

For years I have suffered from panic/anxiety which I think is linked to the FM/CFIDS. I also have MVP syndrome. I'm kinda agoraphobic to go places alone when I feel badly. I guess you can say I'm afraid of being dizzy, spacy, or having palpitations and being out alone without a "safe" person by my side. I also stopped driving because of my "fog" and dizziness. Anyone else like this. I have taken Xanax for years--it helps a bit--but I take a minute dot dose. Tried SSRI's--just made me sick--never again. Anyone use Bach Flower Remedy--this is relaxing and very natural?
    Tania
  3. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

I used to have attacks when I was younger - then they went away. Every since I got FM they have returned and seem worse. I have them at home, in the store, in the car (I also limit my driving due to dizziness/fog, but I have to get around every once in a while). I asked my doctor for help and she prescribed Zoloft (low dose). It took about 2 weeks before I saw any difference. I still have mild attacks, but they are farther apart - 1 a week, rather than 5-6 a day.

I have used Bach Flower Remedy in the past - very natural and very soothing. Maybe in combination with meds it would be more helpful. I'm paranoid about mixing meds with the naturals/herbs, so I constantly ask my doc. She must think I'm a wacko!

Really, we have to look out for ourselves. I hope you have success.
    Lisa
  4. Elvira

Elvira New Member

Hi Tania,

Unfortunately panic/anxiety attacks are a part of FM. They were one of the first symptoms I had, probably about 12 years ago. I was scared to drive, especially over bridges. I went to a psych doctor who was actually very good. He prescribed Klonopin and Prozac, and this combination worked very well for me. I haven't had the attacks for many years now and I am no longer on these medications. You many want to discuss them with your doctor. Good luck to you!

Anita
  5. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

You bet it is! I bet 99.5% of everyone on this site has had it, has it, etc..... After it peaks over times, it does get better!

Marilyn :)
  6. majic

majic New Member

i can not say that panic and anxiety attacks or part of fibro. i have panic attacks and they were there before the fibro started or before the fibro got where i had to find a doc for it. so who knows. don't always think that all our symptoms are fibro. tell everything to your doc and watch out for the doc who readily writes script for anti depressants to treat everything. meds are chemicals and they can react diffrent. i use breathing exercise that i learned in yoga to controll mine. hope this helps majic.
  7. teach6

teach6 New Member

Anxiety and panic attacks are often associated with both CDIDS and FMS. It has to do with dysfunction of our autonomic nervous systems. When the hormones that cause panic begin to flow instead of stopping when the danger is past they continue and our anxiet/panic goes into overdrive.

Of course try explaining that to an inept person who is contradicting everything you have been told about a program and then using psycho babble as he tells me he doesn't think I really want to do anything to help my son!

I was so glad when he hung up. Earlier this week when we were having the ssame discussion I really lost it out of frustration and was in tears for about 45 minutes. Today I managed to avoid the tears, but it took me about an hour of shopping (didn't buy, just looked) to get past it!

Barbara
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Panic attacks are part of the dx of MVPS, and MVPS also includes FMS as one of it's possible symptoms.
    If xanax is not helping, have you tried a beta-blocker?
    Yoga breathing techniques also help a lot. Cognitive Behavior Therapy is supposed to be helpful, if you can afford it.
    The thing that helps me most is to avoid stresss of all kinds as much as possible, as even purely physical stressors can trigger an attack. My last panic attack was on January 8, 2002 when I spent 3 hrs. in a broiling hot funeral home helping a friend make arrangements when her husband had passed. It was the coldest day of the year here, and when we stepped out in the cold to walk to the car, the drastic temp. change caused an instant panic attack. It took a couple weeks to recover completely.
    Klutzo
  9. Dara

Dara New Member

go along with FM. I was to a point where I refused to drive on the freeway or bridges because I would get an instant panic attack. My doctor prescribe Alprazolam (Xanax), it has helped immensely. After taking the Alprazolam and being able to drive without panic attacks it has boosted my confidence so that now I do not need to take the medication for that purpose anymore. There are times I can feel a panic attack coming on but nothing like before.

Dara
  10. idiotsinc

idiotsinc New Member

Panic attacks and anxiety could be the main cause of the majority of FMS, though probably not all. They are also commorbid conditions associated with attention deficit, another condition found alot in those with FMS. Once I get my freaking insurance straightened out that is the course I going after, working on my anxiety (also known as "fight or flight" syndrome) and then my ADD/non-attentive type. Hopefully that will help, though even realizing this fact as made a big difference for me.

Bob
  11. Copper2002

Copper2002 New Member

Great question AND answers. I had a first-ever panic attack just recently. I thought only that I had finally popped my last screw loose, and was now defineably certifiable! It is a relief to hear this association. Thanks!

Copper
    Let Miracles Replace all Grievances