Is anybody on combined pain meds?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tibbiecow, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

I am looking for information regarding meds for chronic pain. I have fibro, migraines and a recovering burst small intestine. (Emergency surgery last September.)

I was taking methadone for 3 years, and recently switched to oxycontin.

I felt best when I had both meds in my system, but my doctor does not want to combine them. Unless it is a transition, I get one or the other but not both.
    I have BAD migraines, and didn't have an effective rescue med besides phenergan. Percocet gave me rebound headaches. So we tried oxycontin-no tylenol- and I felt GREAT!

By the way, I can't take Imitrex, zomig, maxalt, frova, relpax or any triptan because they give me a rebound headache 2 to 3 times worse than the original. I also get those weird anaphylactic feelings on the imitrex injections. I really don't want to take that stuff!

I am considering switching back to the methadone, I think it was better. Before the methadone, it was fentanyl patch for about 3 weeks but it didn't really help.

Is anybody combining chronic pain meds, or is that a real no-no? For instance, instead of 40 mg oxycontin per day, taking 20 mg oxycontin and 20 mg methadone?

Thanks,
    Tibbie
  2. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

Patches didn't help me either.
    I take 60mg kadian Cr (controlled release morphine) morning and evening. I take 10-20mg percocet in between too.
    This helps. It doesn't always knock out pain, but I am able to live OK.
    When I get really bad....this doesn't help.
    I wish I could say I don't have pain, but I always do to some degree.
  3. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

and yes there is breakthrough pain.I really like the Kadian as the fact that it gradually releases the medicine makes things feel more stable.with Lortab,it helped.but I'd hurt 2 hours before the pill was due.It was too much up and down pain.Linda
  4. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I was wondering if you were on the oxycontin CR and what mgs. I am on the methadone and tried to switch but felt too bad and could not make the switch. It was oxy. 20 mgs., think too strong.

Also, you stated you felt great with the oxycontin. Did you mean mixed with the methodone os just alone? Or did you take it with another kind?

Thank you,

BlueSky555

PS: I don't know about the combining; hopefully someone else will. I hope so.
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

I am on several meds which are supposed to help control pain, but they are not strong narcotics.

They are ... Neurotin, Cymbalta, Zanaflex, Voltaren (arthritis drug), and aspirin. I also have Lortab to take for my back, when needed.
  6. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

I take oxy and methadone in combination at my dr's suggestion. They work very well.

Jana
  7. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

I think that the methadone was helpful for the migraines because it binds to pain receptors for such a long time, hence the lack of up-and-down of immediate release.

I can't take vicodin, lortab, percocet, if I have a migraine. For some reason, if I don't have a headache I tolerate vicodin or percocet just fine, but my breakthrough pain is almost always a migraine.

I have the feeling that my doctor is reluctant to have me on more than one extended release opioid, so I wanted to know if anyone else is taking them.