Is anyone doing well? What are some good pointers for a newbe?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tjones256, Sep 14, 2006.

1. tjones256

tjones256 New Member

Hello,

I am new to this board. Are there any "magic" cures or things that I need to know about CFS?

Thank you and God Bless
  2. beachwalkerbill

beachwalkerbill New Member

No caffine, low sugar and exercise is a life style for me.
  3. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Im glad you found us. This is such a great supportive and informative board.

I have learned alot about treating my conditions with meds and with different techniques.

I am 25, and I suffer from FM, CFS, RLS, MPS, Tendonitis and severe anxiety. I started getting symptoms at 17, which were triggered by a car accident. I was finally dx'd in Feb. of 2001 at the age of 20. I am currently doing very well with treatment from my Rheumy. He has dx'd me differnt meds and I have recieved a few TP injections. If you are interested to know about anything...just feel free to ask!

As far as treatments go, you can either go a natural way or with medication.

I found that medication worked best for me...well mostly medication. There are many drugs out there that can help you.

I am currently waiting for an appointment for a sleep study so I can get an rx for Provigil or Xyrem. In the mean time, my Rheumy has rx'd Ritalin for my energy. I am also on B12 shots. You can learn more about these meds, or any other techniques, by doing a search at the top of the screen. You can type in the subject and look for it in the title and content in the second drop down box.

Hugs,
    Stephanie

Im sorry to say there is no magic cures.

[This Message was Edited on 09/25/2006]
  4. MDG

MDG New Member

My husband has fibro and Lunesta has helped him more than anything else. Last November he couldn't even put his clothes on by himself. Now he is doing so much better!
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

There's no one answer for everyone, but I would be happy to give you my thoughts if you want to write to me personally. For a general and easy to read book on the topic, try "From Fatigued to Fantastic." That title vastly overpromises what is likely, but it is a good starting point.

Also read my profile if you like.[This Message was Edited on 09/24/2006]
  6. Elaine44

Elaine44 New Member

DIAGNOSED IN '89 by an excellent Dr. Have spent tons of money on things that have not worked very well. Nutrition & excersise are the two mainstays of my life. I've had some help from meds. Also massage, deep tissue. It takes a while to build up tolerance for this but is really useful to remove toxins in your muscles. Anyone have any more ideas? I would appreciate any help. Sometimes I feel like no one understands. Am looking forward to any communication. Elaine T.
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

My best pointers are to change just about everything you're doing one small step at a time.

Eat more fresh fruits and veggies daily and with each meal if you can squeeze them in.

Start taking some high quality vitamins and mineral supplements, they work wonders to help heal our bodies.

And right now, I'm reading the book, "What your doctor doesn't know about Nutritional Medicine May be Killing you"....Whew, wish I could remember who wrote it, but it's a goodie and explains exactly what I've learned lately much better than I ever could.

Our lives are filled with stress and our diets are filled with chemicals and proccesses that are slowly destroying our bodies. We need to turn back time and it's possible.

Welcome,

Nancy B
  8. NO1NOS

NO1NOS New Member

Hi tjones256 and fellow fms friends, i am also new here and have learned alot reading mess, etc., good advice same s&s as me I dont feel so alone and the only 1 that has fms and other illness, injuries. I dont no anyone who knows about fms, cfs, etc..they look at me "u look great, or ur depressed, or its the meds from ur neck injury (3-6-02) (surgery replace 4 disc c=spine, (5-16-06). I heard fms can be brought on by an emotional, physical trauma. which I had alot of in a 1yr time,
    As newbees,,,hope we learn alot, make friends, and feel better GOD BLESS, and hope day is a good 1, i live 1 day at a time,,
    NO1NOS,,, ps, can we post email address here, is there any certain rules etc,, thanks
  9. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

First of all, welcome to the board TJ. This has been a lifeline for me. I've learned so much. Keep an open mind and as someone else mentioned, what works for one doesn't work for everyone. Don't think that you have to rush out and try everything. Trust your instinct. I was going to mention 2 things that have helped me. Haylecole already mentioned one and that is Bruce Campbell's website.

The other is a book that you can read totally online by William Collinge,PhD. called "Recovering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Guide to Self-Empowerment". Collinge also had a CD-set that you can purchase that gives good info on CFIDS and contains guided imagery and meditation and deep breathing exercises. I bought the CD-set and it is helping me. But, again you have to decide what path you want to pursue.

Both of these have help me immensely. They have help me to take charge of my illness and not just resign myself to being sick for the rest of my life or until there is a cure.

Good luck to you.

Lolalee
  10. WendyStoopy

WendyStoopy New Member

Hi tjones!
    I am brand new too. (although not brand new to being sick). I agree with the advice that nothing is one-size-fits-all. I do feel very grateful that we are living in a time when our illnesses are (mostly) recognized and research is ongoing. I am sure some of the older members could tell us horror stories about how much worse it was just a few decades ago. I also feel very grateful that I live in a country that is organized enough to provide disability payments if I end up having to do that.
    Being sick still sucks though. I am 28, and I have never been "well". Sometimes I feel so frustrated to be unable to do some very basic things.
    Sorry to ramble, I feel for you.
    Wendy
  11. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

Nope, I don't have any magic cures for you. However, I too have CFIDS and find that what works best for me is to alternate periods of activity with rest. I try to make sure I'm not overdoing it all in one sitting. Also, if you have family or friends there to help you, take advantage of it. I'm thankful that I have my husband, who makes it a lot easier on me.

Hope this helps,
    Kim
  12. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board. Lots of nice people here.

See my post this date titled "What helped Me." Possible you will find something there that helps you too.